You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We won't be signing in the summer, they're already at it in the press saying about the players contracts and we're concerned of the impact of covid. it'll be dressed up getting a couple of the players to sign new contracts as a win. the only way money will go out of the door this summer is if they flog off one of the stars. It'll be covid, no CL/reduced TV for being shit/paying for the training ground/paying for more pictures of the annie road/the price of traffic cones for the annie road car park. These cunts have been running the club on a shoestring since they got here. Klopp has come in and given us all a great time, but as I said on another thread - he's not fucking Jesus, he's not turning water to wine whenever he wants. Miracles won't go on forever. We made a great leap forward as a team when we bought 2 absolutely top class players (which was financed by selling 1 top class player). The way to progress is easy to see. But while money isn't flowing down from Madrid and Barca, our investment model is fucked unless we start selling to City again.  

Oh definitely, the contract renewal puff-pieces going out when they did was incredibly transparent. I don’t think it’ll be just one big name out the door - one of Salah or Mané is likely (I suspect there are Echo articles about how we’ve already signed their replacement in Jota written and ready to go), but I’ve said elsewhere that Van Dijk is my biggest concern. I’m sure I’ll be accused of catastrophising, but  he’s almost 30 with two years remaining, would want a fortune to extend (probably more without CL) and is too big an asset for FSG to risk losing on a free or for a relative pittance the following summer.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm not sure why Williams and Phillips remain on the books. 

If they can't offer backup in an emergency, then they're patently nowhere near good enough for the club.  

Well Phillips wouldn't be on the books had we been able to shift him as planned, he was supposed to leave and it's why he wasn't in the CL squad. And I think if Koumetio hadn't have injured himself while taking Alisson out in training, we would have loaned out Williams again, so neither would be at the club. I know everyone is always so made up at the job Edwards does, but there are times we do get left with players who the club don't want because we ask for so much (I guess too much if they're not being signed). Phillips, Wilson and Gruijic were all supposed to have left the club permanently in the summer (and we've been trying to shift Origi) and who knows, if they had, we might have a new centre back now.  Sometimes the club isn't as fucking clever as it makes out. 

40 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Oh definitely, the contract renewal puff-pieces going out when they did was incredibly transparent. I don’t think it’ll be just one big name out the door - one of Salah or Mané is likely (I suspect there are Echo articles about how we’ve already signed their replacement in Jota written and ready to go), but I’ve said elsewhere that Van Dijk is my biggest concern. I’m sure I’ll be accused of catastrophising, but  he’s almost 30 with two years remaining, would want a fortune to extend (probably more without CL) and is too big an asset for FSG to risk losing on a free or for a relative pittance the following summer.

To be honest though, do you really see any side being willing to pay the fee FSG want? Especially on the back of a major injury like he has just had. I reckon if VVD doesn't sign a new contract this summer, he will see his contract out. 

37 minutes ago, Code said:

Ødegaard ready for Arsenal on loan, he’s a Liverpool supporter, if we had wanted him Im sure we could have got him. 

We don't want anyone unless someone leaves. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

and we'll still have people on here saying "klopp doesn't like stop gaps", "klopp can have whatever he wants, he just has to ask", "klopp will always wait to get the player he wants, he doesn't do 2nd choices". We're not signing anyone because FSG don't want us to sign anyone, it really is that simple. 

But you’re the boy who cries wolf. You were bound to call one right eventually. 

• Downvote 1

The thing is about us "offloading" players ... who is gonna buy them?

The only clubs unaffected by covid will be Chelsea, PSG and City. Man Utd, Bayern, Real Madrid probably the next least affected. Barca are pretty fucked financially, and covid will have hurt them even more. The only way they have cash is if someone buys Messi, which they probably won't.

We won't sell to Man Utd, we might sell to City but unlikely. Chelsea have just spent a shitload last summer. Bayern have an excellent squad and don't really need a big signing. I guess Real might be able to afford one of Mane or Salah depending on departures? Or PSG might want backup for Neymar and Mbappe?

Not a great deal of options out there really. Might be why Wijnaldum hasn't signed anything yet as well.

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We won't be signing in the summer, they're already at it in the press saying about the players contracts and we're concerned of the impact of covid. it'll be dressed up getting a couple of the players to sign new contracts as a win. the only way money will go out of the door this summer is if they flog off one of the stars. It'll be covid, no CL/reduced TV for being shit/paying for the training ground/paying for more pictures of the annie road/the price of traffic cones for the annie road car park. These cunts have been running the club on a shoestring since they got here. Klopp has come in and given us all a great time, but as I said on another thread - he's not fucking Jesus, he's not turning water to wine whenever he wants. Miracles won't go on forever. We made a great leap forward as a team when we bought 2 absolutely top class players (which was financed by selling 1 top class player). The way to progress is easy to see. But while money isn't flowing down from Madrid and Barca, our investment model is fucked unless we start selling to City again.  

To be fair, you were saying the same last summer and we got Jota and Thiago in. I know how it worked out transfers wise, and you're bang on the money about how they operate.

The sample size on that is more than big enough, now.

But there will be ways to sign players this summer. It just won't be without deals the other way to finance them.

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How did dortmund get such a free run at haaland considering his price. How did we end up with minamino did we just scout the games against us.

I think Haaland wanted a career jump to a moderate sized club like Dortmund where he would play every game without question and who have a history of being fine with selling players for a fair price. I don't think he would have gone to a bigger club than them right away.

Minamino was a bargain who played for a club that has a similar style of football to us, so he could have been a steal for the price if good enough. Unfortunately, he may not be good enough.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I guess Real might be able to afford one of Mane or Salah depending on departures? Or PSG might want backup for Neymar and Mbappe. 

Yes, could see Mane or Salah moving to the French league to sit on the bench while inferior players start. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, m0e said:

To be fair, you were saying the same last summer and we got Jota and Thiago in. I know how it worked out transfers wise, and you're bang on the money about how they operate.

The sample size on that is more than big enough, now.

But there will be ways to sign players this summer. It just won't be without deals the other way to finance them.

But we got those two in by sacrificing players who we've previously been told were sacred and the future. Thiago came in because we got his fee off sheff United for brewster. Jota came in because we've taken the 1st installment off hoever and the 2nd will likely be paid by whatever tribunal fee we get for Wilson. I've never doubted their capacity to sell to buy. They've done it since their very 1st window at the club. They now need to take some of those millions they've been telling us they were so brilliant at making and invest where klopp wants it. If that means the club needs to increase its rolling credit facility, I'm alright with that, because I'll back klopp to have the talent to make sure the club keeps smashing it. Aside from the hedgefunds, the Tory's mates and fucking amazon, just about everyone else will come out of this pandemic with more debt than they went in. It's completely fucking all business and it's ok if we need to borrow to ensure we've still got a top side at the end of it.