You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Hahaha what a bunch of fools going out spending money on a player whos almost 30. Dont they know there is no value in the market and its best to use some of your academy's players and save yourself millions. 

As if signing experienced world class players ever won you anything. 

3 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Hahaha what a bunch of fools going out spending money on a player whos almost 30. Dont they know there is no value in the market and its best to use some of your academy's players and save yourself millions. 

As if signing experienced world class players ever won you anything. 

He is getting 230k after tax, that would cost us 400k-500k every week. He's a great player but he's not twice VVD good.

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

230k p/w after tax for a footballer in Spain is 230k p/w.

Yes it is but if he moved to England and wanted the same figure staring out at him from his bank app then we would need to be earning nearly twice that.

I don't have a problem with us not getting Alaba. For a normal huge club like us, it could massively impact on our finances and possibly impact on our team spirit. Clubs like City, Chelsea, United, PSG and Real are run differently. Great player but with him being out of contract, he would come and automatically be our biggest earner. That won't go down well with the team even if he is world class in four positions.

What I do have a problem with would be if we don't offer an extra 5-10 million to get our summer target at the back in now to give ourselves a far better chance of winning the league or the Champions League. Failing that we don't get a good quality player in on loan like Militao. That's where the questions will need to be asked at the end of the window.

Think this chat of the injuries "weakening two lines" is a bit bollocks really. Hendo and Fabinho were excellent at centre back against the Mancs, not Van Dijk level but barely a drop off from Gomez / Matip.

Then in midfield we have Thiago who is a massive upgrade on anyone in last year's first choice midfield, and Wijnaldum who was part of that first choice midfield. Then we have about six players for that third slot, if none of them are able to do it effectively then that's what we should be criticising FSG / Edwards / Klopp for.

We might be missing a little bit of ball-winning ability in midfield compared to last year but that's more down to Keita disappearing and our front three's pressing going to shit than anything else.

It's not even like the front three were playing well at the start of the season and then fell off, we were relying on Jota for goals massively until he got injured.

I'd be looking at moving one or two of them in the summer if there's anyone willing to pay decent money for them. Firmino especially. I'd also seriously look at someone to challenge Trent for the right back spot.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Yupp, I would also have preferred 6 points from our last 4 league games instead of the 3 we actually got.

Draws are a terrible result unless it’s against one of your challengers for the league.

Burns my head out the way we let games drift out and settle for a point early. 

18 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Think this chat of the injuries "weakening two lines" is a bit bollocks really. Hendo and Fabinho were excellent at centre back against the Mancs, not Van Dijk level but barely a drop off from Gomez / Matip.

Then in midfield we have Thiago who is a massive upgrade on anyone in last year's first choice midfield, and Wijnaldum who was part of that first choice midfield. Then we have about six players for that third slot, if none of them are able to do it effectively then that's what we should be criticising FSG / Edwards / Klopp for.

We might be missing a little bit of ball-winning ability in midfield compared to last year but that's more down to Keita disappearing and our front three's pressing going to shit than anything else.

It's not even like the front three were playing well at the start of the season and then fell off, we were relying on Jota for goals massively until he got injured.

I'd be looking at moving one or two of them in the summer if there's anyone willing to pay decent money for them. Firmino especially. I'd also seriously look at someone to challenge Trent for the right back spot.

Some fair points there. Fabinho is a world class centre half and like all really good players Hendo has shown that he can do a job there.

Stickman (I think) did a good analogy though by saying that if McMahon and Whelan covered Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie being out at the back, we probably don't win the double in 86 because you lose so much in midfield. That is how I feel right now about this team.

Looking at our midfield, Gini has been especially impacted because he knows their game a lot beside him in the engine room. Thiago is still getting used to our style. With him being world class I think it's only a matter of time before he does.

I think Jurgen made the right call at the weekend because if Hendo doesn't play in defence I think we lose the game. Right now, it's about staying in it because Matip and Jota will make a difference in both ends of the pitch. I don't think City are anything special so if we can get to anything close to what we should be, we win the league.

All of our front three being so off form at the same time is a huge problem and it is that rather than them being found out imo. We'll be okay soon and in some ways Burnley will be a good test for them to sort it out because they won't give too much away. Trent's form is a huge concern but I think he'll be okay in no time as well. A quality alternative to keep him honest is a neccesity in the summer though.

• Upvote 2

I reckon Mo goes in the summer, Gini obviously and Matip, Naby, Origi, and maybe Milner. Personally I’d add in Ox and Minamino but think we’ll keep them. We do a fairly big (by our standards) reshuffle. Two new centre backs, another forward, an attacking mid and a young midfielder. It would have been spread across a couple of seasons but lack of funds this summer obviously hampered us but I’d expect a big influx of money from player sales this summer. The squad needs its desperately, the first 11 is knackered and the players look a bit too comfortable since the restart last year.