You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m terms of like for like replacing VVD, it’s impossible really.

As good in the air as Hyypia, calm as Agger, fast as Owen, passes like Alonso... it’s impossible.

As I put in a post about VVD the other week (Here), defensively, we’ve not really struggled without VVD. IMO we’ve suffered more with his range of passing & getting us on the attack quickly - so, I thought who could do that job.

Before I post the name - hear me out. I haven’t heard anything on him & I absolutely don’t expect it to happen. This is purely on a defender, with a great passing range, who can turn get us attacking quicker. 

I fully imagine this will be laughed and scoffed at, which is fine, but approach this with an open mind...

... David Luiz.

Let me explain myself.

Right. He’s a bit brain dead & lacks concentration, I don’t doubt that. Sides could target him, but would Luiz be targeted anymore than Phillips, Williams or Hendo?

His passing range is outstanding. He’d easily pick out Trent & Robbo in space & get us on the front quicker, which then spreads throughout the side. 

We can play a player with a great passing range in defence & then ensure Hendo, and possibly Fabinho, are moved back into midfield full time. 

I’m categorically not saying we should sign him or that we will. But IMO, short term, his benefits would outweigh the negatives. Signing a player of his skill set would benefit us much more than a player like Henchoz or somebody. 

Hahahahaha fuck me id rather you said “Rebekah Vardy” 

11 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's just a bollocks excuse to get out of spending money. 

I'm sure in the summer we will some long drawn out saga over getting Wijnaldum replaced with stupid articles being drip fed by the Echo because the club just want to replace him (a player leaving for nothing) with someone who will cost under £10 million and on lower wages. A free transfer normally means higher wages so they have the excuse that it would upset the harmony in the squad if we signed someone like Alaba. 

There will be links to 4/5 players who Liverpool will allegedly have scouted but because they cost too much the club won't want to spend the money. 

Ah yes, the old "monitoring the fuck out of a player" routine 

35 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Hendo's probably better at long passes out of the back as well. With Luiz you always have the chance of passing to an opposition striker.

Not sure on point 1. Agree on point 2.

But having to play Hendo in defence means we don’t have his drive in midfield. 

Likewise, there is then is also the possibility of Fabinho going back into midfield.

I fully know I’m fighting a losing battle here and I know it’ll never happen but till the end of the season, the positives outweigh the negatives.

There is a method to the madness. 

10 minutes ago, connaw12 said:

im not a fan of his but not opposed to a bit of circuative thinking. what was thiago if he wasnt a short term answer to an unbalanced midfield?

Thiago is 29 not 35 like Ramos and he's a class above a midfielders like we have. Ramos will not be our best defender.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Thiago is 29 not 35 like Ramos and he's a class above a midfielders like we have. Ramos will not be our best defender.

Thing is ramos is a thunder cunt who I'd like to see suffer a career ending injury. I wouldn't want him sweeping anfield Road. 

2 hours ago, KevieG said:

Hopefully today's game puts to bed the idea that Williams and Philips are viable alternatives we enter the business end of the season. Two big games now and we revert to Fab-Hendo, and considerably weaken two lines of the pitch. 

This

Its not just the defending that having to change but the whole team

The season is purely about making sure we stay in the top 4

10 hours ago, Red74 said:

Draws are a killer. I’d rather we’d have had a go and won 2 and lost 2 of our last 4 games than lose all our momentum like this. 

I don't think you can say we didn't have a go. We're just not very good. We've dismantled the leagues best defence and probably best midfield basically because of 1 injury, as the other 2 centre backs are rarely fit anyway - last season even with lovren around we have to use fabinho a couple of times. Buy some centre backs, get our midfield back and we're a different team. 

• Upvote 2