You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

12 minutes ago, m0e said:

I don't get this long term thinking rubbish.

We're in a position to absolutely dominate for 2 or 3 years.

It seems the only thing that stops us doing that is "long term" thinking.

Exactly. It's the kind of thing you say when you're finishing 6th and your average squad age is 23. Neither of those things apply to our current team. 

15 minutes ago, m0e said:

Yeah but for FSG, 'long term thinking' is basically buying players on the never never. Pretty sure we're paying for Jota over a 1000 years. Can't see them stumping up £20m up front.

13 hours ago, m0e said:

It's similar to what someone posted on here the other day, it's like having a hole in the roof and if the roofer can't fix it right away because you want a whole new roof rather than a patch and just shrugging your shoulders and letting the rain pour through the hole and not do anything to stop it "I'm only spending once, so I'll just wait till you can replace the whole roof". In life there's always times for strategic long term choices. There's also instances that no matter how well you plan, shit happens and you need to react to it and make a short term tactical decision to see you through. 

Someone was suggesting to me the other day that they don't want to make a move because klopp likes to bed players in and if a new signing doesn't come in and hit the ground running, they'd all look daft for forcing the move through. I just don't understand that's point of view. Unless every signing you make is for a player you don't need to succeed (like say minamino), why would you ever buy a player again with that attitude? 

Sometimes the answer is the most obvious. We aren't getting a centre back because we don't see one who we regard as value, it's really no more complicated than that. If there was an equivalent of a cente back minamino in the market, they'd be all over it. 

• Upvote 4

I’m terms of like for like replacing VVD, it’s impossible really.

As good in the air as Hyypia, calm as Agger, fast as Owen, passes like Alonso... it’s impossible.

As I put in a post about VVD the other week (Here), defensively, we’ve not really struggled without VVD. IMO we’ve suffered more with his range of passing & getting us on the attack quickly - so, I thought who could do that job.

Before I post the name - hear me out. I haven’t heard anything on him & I absolutely don’t expect it to happen. This is purely on a defender, with a great passing range, who can turn get us attacking quicker. 

I fully imagine this will be laughed and scoffed at, which is fine, but approach this with an open mind...

... David Luiz.

Let me explain myself.

Right. He’s a bit brain dead & lacks concentration, I don’t doubt that. Sides could target him, but would Luiz be targeted anymore than Phillips, Williams or Hendo?

His passing range is outstanding. He’d easily pick out Trent & Robbo in space & get us on the front quicker, which then spreads throughout the side. 

We can play a player with a great passing range in defence & then ensure Hendo, and possibly Fabinho, are moved back into midfield full time. 

I’m categorically not saying we should sign him or that we will. But IMO, short term, his benefits would outweigh the negatives. Signing a player of his skill set would benefit us much more than a player like Henchoz or somebody. 

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's similar to what someone posted on here the other day, it's like having a hole in the roof and if the roofer can't fix it right away because you want a whole new roof rather than a patch and just shrugging your shoulders and letting the rain pour through the hole and not do anything to stop it "I'm only spending once, so I'll just wait till you can replace the whole roof". In life there's always times for strategic long term choices. There's also instances that no matter how well you plan, shit happens and you need to react to it and make a short term tactical decision to see you through. 

Someone was suggesting to me the other day that they don't want to make a move because klopp likes to bed players in and if a new signing doesn't come in and hit the ground running, they'd all look daft for forcing the move through. I just don't understand that's point of view. Unless every signing you make is for a player you don't need to succeed (like say minamino), why would you ever but a player again with that attitude? 

Sometimes the answer is the most obvious. We aren't getting a centre back because we don't see one who we regard as value, it's really no more complicated than that. If there was an equivalent of a cente back minamino in the market, they'd be all over it. 

We're not letting the rain pour in, we're using  spare bits of wood and plastic we have in the shed to plug the gap. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I’m terms of like for like replacing VVD, it’s impossible really.

As good in the air as Hyypia, calm as Agger, fast as Owen, passes like Alonso... it’s impossible.

As I put in a post about VVD the other week (Here), defensively, we’ve not really struggled without VVD. IMO we’ve suffered more with his range of passing & getting us on the attack quickly - so, I thought who could do that job.

Before I post the name - hear me out. I haven’t heard anything on him & I absolutely don’t expect it to happen. This is purely on a defender, with a great passing range, who can turn get us attacking quicker. 

I fully imagine this will be laughed and scoffed at, which is fine, but approach this with an open mind...

... David Luiz.

Let me explain myself.

Right. He’s a bit brain dead & lacks concentration, I don’t doubt that. Sides could target him, but would Luiz be targeted anymore than Phillips, Williams or Hendo?

His passing range is outstanding. He’d easily pick out Trent & Robbo in space & get us on the front quicker, which then spreads throughout the side. 

We can play a player with a great passing range in defence & then ensure Hendo, and possibly Fabinho, are moved back into midfield full time. 

I’m categorically not saying we should sign him or that we will. But IMO, short term, his benefits would outweigh the negatives. Signing a player of his skill set would benefit us much more than a player like Henchoz or somebody. 

007.gif

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

007.gif

Very good, but you need to think about it more.

The way we play makes the number of centre backs who fits our style very small. 

If we just wanted a solid balls to the wall defender, there are a number of those about. But somebody with an superb passing range isn’t as easy to come by.

Luiz isn’t great defensively (clearly!) but we’ve not conceded more goals without VVD.

His ability to get the ball moving forwards, accurately, with pace, would help the rest of the side more. 

I’ll reiterate - we’ve not been linked with him, for various reasons it won’t happen (ie Edwards & Klopp know far more than me) but, IMO, he’d do a job for 5/6 months. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

It's just a bollocks excuse to get out of spending money. 

I'm sure in the summer we will some long drawn out saga over getting Wijnaldum replaced with stupid articles being drip fed by the Echo because the club just want to replace him (a player leaving for nothing) with someone who will cost under £10 million and on lower wages. A free transfer normally means higher wages so they have the excuse that it would upset the harmony in the squad if we signed someone like Alaba. 

There will be links to 4/5 players who Liverpool will allegedly have scouted but because they cost too much the club won't want to spend the money. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Very good, but you need to think about it more.

The way we play makes the number of centre backs who fits our style very small. 

If we just wanted a solid balls to the wall defender, there are a number of those about. But somebody with an superb passing range isn’t as easy to come by.

Luiz isn’t great defensively (clearly!) but we’ve not conceded more goals without VVD.

His ability to get the ball moving forwards, accurately, with pace, would help the rest of the side more. 

I’ll reiterate - we’ve not been linked with him, for various reasons it won’t happen (ie Edwards & Klopp know far more than me) but, IMO, he’d do a job for 5/6 months. 

I get the point you are making and yes 100% o loan till the end of the year would be worth a look for the reasons outlined. 

Klopp has said he doesn't like loan deals though. We wont sign anyone unless we can get a summer target on a loan with a option to buy.