You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

The whole thing is starting to feel like a meek surrender of our title. You'd have to wonder is it feeding into the players when two of our best players are playing makeshift centre half and the club sits on its hands. Based on nothing but me watching the telly I think Klopp is fuming with the whole situation.

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, so why are people thinking we might still sign anyone?

I think the echo have been shaping it if we can shift origi, then there might be something happens. I don't know about that myself, I think they'll use it to pay for Jota, but we'll see I suppose. 

And I think some people just can't quite believe it would be possible to not do something, so they're hoping it's a bit of smoke and mirrors. 

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I can understand, to a degree, the cost implications because of the no fans situation, but not looking at a loan is quite unforgivable for a Club this size.

What is the cost implications of not winning the PL or the CL, end even possibly miss out on FSG`s holy cash cow; the top 4? 

With the current and foreseeable squad situation we are more likely to drop out of top 4 than winning the league. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I can understand, to a degree, the cost implications because of the no fans situation, but not looking at a loan is quite unforgivable for a Club this size.

Agreed. They're too locked in to this "long term strategy" thing. You are league champions and have a mostly experienced and ageing squad. The time is now, for fuck sake.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Fuck me has anyone signed anyone yet? What a shite transfer window. Understandable really with Covid etc but Jim White must be shitting himself. 

Fat Sam signed Andy Lonergan, then whinged about how 3 other transfers fell through because of Brexit (which he's wholeheartedly supported).

1 minute ago, Judge said:

What is the cost implications of not winning the PL or the CL, end even possibly miss out on FSG`s holy cash cow; the top 4? 

With the current and foreseeable squad situation we are more likely to drop out of top 4 than winning the league. 

Well, quite. Of course FSG could dip into their own wallets but won't, even though you'd expect them to protect their assets status.

What's all the more galling about all this is that everything that's happened was relatively predictable when we didn't replace Lovren and Hoever. Even before we sold them, Fabinho and Henderson played CB last season. 

Gomez getting injured? Predictable. 

Matip getting injured? Predictable. 

Van Dijk getting injured? Not predictable but far from impossible and should have been mitigated against. 

Phillips? We tried to bin but no one wanted. 

Williams? Would be some leap from Kidderminster to PL. 

Fabinho being missed in midfield? Predictable. 

*bangs head against brick wall*

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Judge said:

That’s okay. There will be no shortages of takers for a Van Dijk unlikely to want to spend a year in the Europa at 30 but Ben White will be a somewhat cheaper replacement, particularly where wages are concerned. Jota slots in for the outgoing Salah and for Mané's replacement we hope lightning strikes twice by signing a forward with a similar 'profile' from a mid-table Premier League side. Origi or Minamino get to be the new Jota from the bench, only not good to enough to have any sort of chance of breaking into the team other than in the event of injury.

There won’t be any other spending of note because we missed out on the CL and the additional profits from the outgoing players will be needed to cover that shortfall.