You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is a "slum it for top 4" season, then. Good to know. Like we're back in 2017. 

Seems that way, followed by a nervy summer if we don’t manage to achieve that in what looks as though it’ll be a tight, abnormal season. I think it’s a ridiculous decision at a time where we should be consolidating our position as a long-term fixture at the top.

Would anyone seriously be surprised if a 30 year-old Van Dijk didn’t fancy wasting one of his remaining seasons fucking around in the Europa if a continental giant or Manchester club offered Champions League football along with a big, fat pay rise? I doubt much of the fee would be made available for incomings under those sort of circumstances, either.

• Downvote 1

Yet we haven’t got a pot to piss in. Despite winning the league and CL the past two seasons. 

It will be sound when we Sell Salah in the summer and Mbappe ends up at Madrid as we wouldn't be held to ransom by PSG and will wait to have a big summer in 2022. 

12 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Yet we haven’t got a pot to piss in. Despite winning the league and CL the past two seasons. 

It will be sound when we Sell Salah in the summer and Mbappe ends up at Madrid as we wouldn't be held to ransom by PSG and will wait to have a big summer in 2022. 

If Mbappe is going to Madrid who is buying Salah?

I think its stupidity not spending but our wage bill has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and the club is supposedly looking at new deals for a few players.Mane,van Dikj,Firmino

Our wage bill is supposed to be around 120ml on basic wages, so add in the big bonuses that are supposed to be part of our structure,signing on fees, agent fees we are likely paying out alot more

We made 175ml on the TV deal last year, isnt that supposed to be potentially dropping due to refunds with covid?

At the start of next season the following players will only have 2 years left on deals

Salah,Mane,van Dijk,Firmino,Fabinho,Henderson,Keita

There is going to be a massive turnover of players soon as i would guess the club is looking to try and be ready for that financially

Don't like the idea of not buying this year as its a very good shot at winning both major competitions but the above may have something to do with it with the lack of the extra money through the tills for home games

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I think its stupidity not spending but our wage bill has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and the club is supposedly looking at new deals for a few players.Mane,van Dikj,Firmino

Our wage bill is supposed to be around 120ml on basic wages, so add in the big bonuses that are supposed to be part of our structure,signing on fees, agent fees we are likely paying out alot more

We made 175ml on the TV deal last year, isnt that supposed to be potentially dropping due to refunds with covid?

At the start of next season the following players will only have 2 years left on deals

Salah,Mane,van Dijk,Firmino,Fabinho,Henderson,Keita

There is going to be a massive turnover of players soon as i would guess the club is looking to try and be ready for that financially

Don't like the idea of not buying this year as its a very good shot at winning both major competitions but the above may have something to do with it with the lack of the extra money through the tills for home games

That's a good point. I also dislike the idea we've run players into the ground. If having a settled group of players that we saw develop, and subsequently paid huge sums in wages, would have hindered our ability to buy 50m backups at every position, you have to be fine with that.

What I don't like is essentially giving up on a season under the guise of "long term thinking". Not something you should do when you're supposed to be the best club in the country.

The mancs have obscene revenues, unfortunately. The Glazers have taken hundreds of millions of pounds out of the club while they've owned it, some reports say over a billion, and they're STILL loaded. They're basically a Chelsea / Man City level club for finance only they actually earn it, the cunts.

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

Saying we desperately need a centre back isn't based on our form in the last 3 games, it's just patently obvious and has been since the summer window. Lovren and Hoever were sold and not replaced, for some reason no one mentions Hoever not being replaced either, even though he was clearly above Phillips and Williams in the pecking order. Even then, Fabinho and Henderson played centre back last season. Going into a season with 3 senior CBs was fucking mental, especially when 2 are highly injury prone, in a season with increased fixture congestion 

All of this was before the serious injuries to VVD & Gomez, which has only exacerbated our lack of depth. 

This was one of the few times I've questioned our transfer team over the last couple of years. Hoever looked miles better than Neco at RB to me, with the added bonus of being able to cover CB should that be an issue. I'm a bit surprised that he's had so little time on the pitch for Wolves, but when he played against the Mancs the talent was there for all to see again. He'd not be able to dominate at CB for us now (not physical enough), but he'd be a much better fit than Phillips/Williams (and even Lovren), as he's calm on the ball, has got good passing ability and is pretty quick.

I understand that is probably was a financial decision to be able to bring in Jota, and for a few weeks it looked like a masterstroke. When both our starting CBs got long-term injuries, it became a bit of a bummer. I really like Jota, and we've needed someone like him for a couple of years, so great deal in that respect. I would have really liked to keep Hoever on though.

PS! There's too many to quote, but I disagree massively with those saying our problems are just as much to do with our attackers as our main CBs being out. The reason our forwards are having issues is that the team pressing has taken a nosedive as we are no longer able to compress the field sufficiently. Even more importantly, our midfielders (and fullbacks) are being less inventive and more cautious with their passing too, as they know every counter is likely to result in a big chance against us with the slow CB's we're playing atm. We're going to see a lot more "hoofs" up the field in the coming weeks, even if it's detrimental to our attacking play, as our players are clearly instructed to take fewer risks in our build-up play. 

5 minutes ago, lebron said:

This was one of the few times I've questioned our transfer team over the last couple of years. Hoever looked miles better than Neco at RB to me, with the added bonus of being able to cover CB should that be an issue. I'm a bit surprised that he's had so little time on the pitch for Wolves, but when he played against the Mancs the talent was there for all to see again. He'd not be able to dominate at CB for us now (not physical enough), but he'd be a much better fit than Phillips/Williams (and even Lovren), as he's calm on the ball, has got good passing ability and is pretty quick.

I understand that is probably was a financial decision to be able to bring in Jota, and for a few weeks it looked like a masterstroke. When both our starting CBs got long-term injuries, it became a bit of a bummer. I really like Jota, and we've needed someone like him for a couple of years, so great deal in that respect. I would have really liked to keep Hoever on though.

PS! There's too many to quote, but I disagree massively with those saying our problems are just as much to do with our attackers as our main CBs being out. The reason our forwards are having issues is that the team pressing has taken a nosedive as we are no longer able to compress the field sufficiently. Even more importantly, our midfielders (and fullbacks) are being less inventive and more cautious with their passing too, as they know every counter is likely to result in a big chance against us with the slow CB's we're playing atm. We're going to see a lot more "hoofs" up the field in the coming weeks, even if it's detrimental to our attacking play, as our players are clearly instructed to take fewer risks in our build-up play. 

The issue our fullbacks are having is teams are adapting. They are pulling their fullbacks inside and getting the wingers to mark our fullbacks. Trent and Robbo are aiming to pick out the 2 or 3 players we have in the area against 6/7 decenders in the box. And considering our forwards are all under 5'10 they are not going to win to many high balls. 

As good as Robbo and Trent are, they don't beat players one on one often. We are not pulling teams out of position much, added to that teams are confident that without van Dijk and Gomez we will make a mistake or two and they'll get a chance. It's like pre VVD and Alisson

Teams have been defending deep and doubling up on the full backs against us for years. It's not that teams have adapted, it's that the energy levels aren't where they were used to be, and the pressing has been hurt by the lack of having CB's that can play high up the pitch, as Lebron said. So we're not imposing our style and we're not getting into games and teams can then set up their defensive block. And when teams are allowed to do that consistently, there's just no team that will be able to break that down easily. It's about imposing our game. Right now, teams are imposing there's against us, instead. 

And so, what is a solution? Buy a centre back. 

• Upvote 1