You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

We need to get about 16 points from that run at least and possibly 17 points. Ideally beat both Mancs.

The other side of it is that if we come through it, we are in a lovely position. Pretty much all of our hard away games (on paper) done bar United. Wolves and Arsenal maybe might not be easy but if we get our mojo back, we will be okay. All of our shitty home games done bar Chelsea but if we are chasing a title when they come to town and Frankie is in charge, we will smash them all over the shop.

I'm going with 

United 1

Burnley 3

Spurs 1

West Ham 3

Brighton 3

City 3

Leicester 1

City are a better team than United, but going on current form, I would be pleasantly surprised if we beat United. We are a much better team but we are very shakey right now. What a game to change things though.

I'm probably going off our current form a bit, but taking into account that we will recover as well.

If we were about 4 points off City after that run of games, I don't think it's a disaster to be honest.

Fair.

I made it 47-42 in Man City's favour heading into our game v them.

Hope to fuck i am wrong....but if anywhere near right it will be an absolute must win game for us.

9 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

As our form this season has gone I would swap the Utd/Burnley, Spurs/West Ham and Leicester/Brighton points around.

Yeah I agree. We've had some outstanding performances this year so not beyond the realms that we beat take nine from United, Leicester and Spurs and then royally fuck up at home to Burnley or Brighton.

9 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

As our form this season has gone I would swap the Utd/Burnley, Spurs/West Ham and Leicester/Brighton points around.

Yeah I agree. We've had some outstanding performances this year so not beyond the realms that we beat take nine from United, Leicester and Spurs and then royally fuck up at home to Burnley or Brighton.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Take it to the 'run in' thread. Can we get back to fantasising about players we either won't sign, have never heard of or have been invented? Thanks 

Sign Hilkumnit Bollix 

Like FSG would sanction his contractual demands. 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fair.

I made it 47-42 in Man City's favour heading into our game v them.

Hope to fuck i am wrong....but if anywhere near right it will be an absolute must win game for us.

Yeah it's going to the wire. 

Villa could take points off them at their place and we might get a surprise of them dropping points like they did against West Brom.

A statement win against United to kick off this run of games would be huge.

Pretty sure our season will fall apart now. 

It's no coincidence that our form dropped off massively, its like the players were battling for January and they January came and news filtered through it was all for nothing.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Pretty sure our season will fall apart now. 

It's no coincidence that our form dropped off massively, its like the players were battling for January and they January came and news filtered through it was all for nothing.

We used to have a terrible November. Perhaps with the late start to the season, December was our November. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Basically run your squad into the ground for 3 years, buy a couple of teenagers and bargains or pay a big fee over a long term as in Jota. When we won the Champions League we signed no one, it paid off eventually with us winning the league. But because we had a shit backup keeper who cost nothing we ended up out of the Champions League and FA cup. 

We only signed Minamino because his release clause was ridiculously low and he could be sold on for more if it never worked out.

Let's stick to our strategy of spending virtually fuck all and only fund it with sales. 

If the wheels come off and we end up 3rd or worse the club only have themselves to blame. Fucking ridiculous.

you're right about them running the squad down. They try to make this sound like a covid thing when they say something like "after selling lovren, with money money tight it was prioritised to get kostas, thiago and jota". But thing is we wouldn't have needed to make a choice between a backup left back and a centre back if we actually had a backup left back to begin with! It honestly beggars belief. As for bringing in Thiago - he was funded by lallana's wages and Brewsters fee. Jota has to be paid for despite the drip nature using Hoever up front and they expected to sell Wilson and Origi - but ffs, we've barely spent anything but the coutinho money in years after winning everything? Do we really need to be able to flog off to fund every transfer? Bottom line, I am sure covid is making it tough, but we chose to make it tougher by leaving the cupboard bare - a little like the governments management of the NHS. but no doubt it'll be lapped up as somehow a success. 

1 hour ago, Simbo said:

I’m just finding it quite tiresome reading all of the negativity in most threads at the moment.

“Trent is shit”. “Mo needs to be sold”. “This is Dortmund 14/15 all over again”. “FSG are cunts”.

A couple of weeks ago we were winning the league after thumping Palace 7-0. We’ve suddenly hit a sticky patch (where, I repeat, we’ve only been beaten once) and now apparently FSG aren’t interested in winning and we’re in danger of slipping back into the abyss. It’s mental.

We’re going to dry bum Utd next week and then everyone will be saying we’re gonna win it again.

You are being far more hysterical than anyone I have seen on any thread. I don't read every thread, but I haven't read anyone saying trent is shit. I haven't seen anyone saying anything about Mo needs to go. I haven't seen Dortmund 15/16 mentioned since we last played Dortmund. But to make sure you get at least one his, I will help you out. FSG are indeed cunts. 

• Upvote 3

The echo did an article titled "Neymar and Coutinho's £348m transformation of Liverpool"

Basically how Neymar going to PSG allowed Barcelona to spend £142m on Van Dijk and Allison. Three years ago.

How long are they going to go on about that ffs?. There was an Echo article every month about selling Coutinho and how clever it was to spend it on a defender and keeper. 

Joseph Goebbels works for the Echo and FSG.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Johnlj said:

A 1.80 meters centerback. Not for me, Clive. He is good in a completely dominating Bayern team. The grogs here would kill him. 

Paolo Montero was 1,79 cm, Fabio Cannavaro 1,75 cm, Carles Puyol 1,78 cm among others.

Height is not everything at CB.

I think height and aerial ability is a pretty big thing for a centre half playing for us.  Before we signed Van Dijk we would press and teams would just launch it up the pitch and have a chance of keeping the ball or even catching us on the break.  Signing Van Dijk completely killed that method of beating our press.  Even if you took away all his other abilities his dominance in the air would still have him starting for us every game.

You'd think how incredibly smart we are in the transfer market our incredibly low net spend comparative to other clubs and our recent success that we would have a nice little nest egg. Being super smart surely paid off otherwise that means we are relying upon being perfect and as soon as we make a couple of mistakes we are entirely fucked. Seems a dangerous tightrope act.

If the team needs a Centre back buy one. If the works van breaks down its an expense you don't need its a fucking pain in the arse but you get it fixed because its needed. Playing two important midfielders as centrebacks is stupid and it harms our chances.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Code said:

Paolo Montero was 1,79 cm, Fabio Cannavaro 1,75 cm, Carles Puyol 1,78 cm among others.

Height is not everything at CB.

Different leagues. None of them with a playstyle to lump it to a big bastard. Slow leagues with defenders able to read the game ahead of time and get into position. Sure they needed some aerial ability, but here you just need that aerial presence all the time. If we sign him I sincerely hope to be proved wrong, but to be perfectly honest I don't see him winning a duel in the air against a player like Kane etc.

This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obvious.

FSG/Edwards couldn't find a club willing to agree a £1 a week transfer deal for a defender.

Fuck you very much.

Any other club with our defensive injuries would have lined up deal/s weeks in advance so defender joined on 1st January.

Klopp is not blameless either as much as we all love him (one of his flaws). He has and never has an urgency either to replace shite players that are not up to the job or an urgency to get players in. Neg me all you fucking want but we could have won the much more trophies if we didn't hang on to useless cunts like Lovren, Mignolet, Moreno etc. Adrian being the latest example, who cost us 2 cups last season.

Squads have been left short time and time again by him.

Sorry I'm not buying no one is willing not to sell either. Now is as good as time as ever to get players in because of the financials regarding Covid. Other leagues get fucking peanuts compared to us.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The echo did an article titled "Neymar and Coutinho's £348m transformation of Liverpool"

Basically how Neymar going to PSG allowed Barcelona to spend £142m on Van Dijk and Allison. Three years ago.

How long are they going to go on about that ffs?. There was an Echo article every month about selling Coutinho and how clever it was to spend it on a defender and keeper. 

Joseph Goebbels works for the Echo and FSG.

Gutted we missed out on them two.