You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

tumblr_mrtee0jhVN1setwdzo1_250.gifv

I’m just finding it quite tiresome reading all of the negativity in most threads at the moment.

“Trent is shit”. “Mo needs to be sold”. “This is Dortmund 14/15 all over again”. “FSG are cunts”.

A couple of weeks ago we were winning the league after thumping Palace 7-0. We’ve suddenly hit a sticky patch (where, I repeat, we’ve only been beaten once) and now apparently FSG aren’t interested in winning and we’re in danger of slipping back into the abyss. It’s mental.

We’re going to dry bum Utd next week and then everyone will be saying we’re gonna win it again.

3 minutes ago, Simbo said:

I’m just finding it quite tiresome reading all of the negativity in most threads at the moment.

“Trent is shit”. “Mo needs to be sold”. “This is Dortmund 14/15 all over again”. “FSG are cunts”.

A couple of weeks ago we were winning the league after thumping Palace 7-0. We’ve suddenly hit a sticky patch (where, I repeat, we’ve only been beaten once) and now apparently FSG aren’t interested in winning and we’re in danger of slipping back into the abyss. It’s mental.

We’re going to dry bum Utd next week and then everyone will be saying we’re gonna win it again.

I don't know about all that 'sell Trent' blah blah blah shite.....but i do know that we have a massive, massive problem at centre half and not just a short/mid term one but a long term one that absolutely needs to be addressed if we are gonna stay at the top.

I am sure we would have been addressing it this summer, but thanks to that fucking dinotwat Pickford and Gomez being fucked with Ingerlund the need to address it has been brought forward one window.

The issue seems to be that we are either unwilling or unable to do so now.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If there is the remotest possibility of getting Alaba then Edwards should be doing whatever it takes to get him leaving on stuff at Melw..... at Kirkby. Anything. If he has to suck his finger on webcam like Dirty Den then get it done. 

He should randomly turn up at Bayern's training ground and say "Ello Princess" when he meets Alaba.

We've won one league in 30 years, I really don't get how we can be so blasé about just writing this season off and going again next year. We are still in a great position but we literally don't have a fit central defender, bar a couple of kids who both look really slow.

We need to be maximising every opportunity this squad has in racking up trophies. Sign a fucking centre half.

• Upvote 11

37 minutes ago, Simbo said:

We haven't won in three matches, all against smaller sides. Winning these games consistently is what makes you league champions. For what it's worth I don't think we'll beat the mancs, we're always shit against them. But if we'd taken nine points from our last nine like we should have done, it wouldn't have even mattered.

Draws are useless if you're trying to win the league, especially against shit teams, even more especially at home.

• Upvote 1

I think as far as winning the league goes the next 7 games are pretty crucial to us having any hope on the run in.

We face:

Man Utd
Burnley
Spurs away
West Ham away
Brighton
Man City
Leicester away

Some really tough games in there and whilst we are playing them Man City have an absolutely dead easy set of games.

Brighton

Palace

Villa

WBA away

Sheff Utd

Burnley away

Then they have that game v us.

I can only see 18 pts for them from those 6 games before us.

We are gonna need a good haul from ours and probably need to beat them to not find ourselves the sharp end of 8-10 pts behind them after that lot and them still having a game in hand (unless Everton game is played in that time)....a gap even with 14 games left that would be really hard to claw back.

When people booed the 0-0 against west ham, people had a go at them and used the same line about being top. I would say that time has proven them correct, as it was awful draws like that, that lost us the title that season, only losing 2 games.

We have been largely awful recently dropping far too many points. Its let other sides get back in contention and overtake us, should they win games in hand.

Its shit, lets not pretend otherwise and dismiss the situation by saying 'we are still top', as that argument has proved false in the past and likely will again, if we dont end up buying anyone.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

When people booed the 0-0 against west ham, people had a go at them and used the same line about being top. I would say that time has proven them correct, as it was awful draws like that, that lost us the title that season, only losing 2 games.

We have been largely awful recently dropping far too many points. Its let other sides get back in contention and overtake us, should they win games in hand.

Its shit, lets not pretend otherwise and dismiss the situation by saying 'we are still top', as that argument has proved false in the past and likely will again, if we dont end up buying anyone.

It is shit at the minute but equally its not as bad as some are making out and comparisons with the past are not credible this time. You're comparing Apples with Oranges here, City will be playing catch up in unprecedented circumstances. Brighton Palace and Villa is not the 9 point guarantee it would be in normal circumstances. They will break too just like everyone else will.

Saying we desperately need a centre back isn't based on our form in the last 3 games, it's just patently obvious and has been since the summer window. Lovren and Hoever were sold and not replaced, for some reason no one mentions Hoever not being replaced either, even though he was clearly above Phillips and Williams in the pecking order. Even then, Fabinho and Henderson played centre back last season. Going into a season with 3 senior CBs was fucking mental, especially when 2 are highly injury prone, in a season with increased fixture congestion 

All of this was before the serious injuries to VVD & Gomez, which has only exacerbated our lack of depth. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

We haven't won in three matches, all against smaller sides. Winning these games consistently is what makes you league champions. For what it's worth I don't think we'll beat the mancs, we're always shit against them. But if we'd taken nine points from our last nine like we should have done, it wouldn't have even mattered.

Draws are useless if you're trying to win the league, especially against shit teams, even more especially at home.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m just astounded by the knee-jerking in here. 

We’re undoubtedly going through a rough patch but I think it’s a bit early to lose faith in the boys like some have on here.

Not signing a centre back, even on a short-term basis, would be astounding. There are loads of half-decent centre backs around who aren’t getting a game elsewhere who we could bring in on loan. At the moment we’re weakening our midfield by playing players out of position in defense or we’re bringing in Williams and Phillips who aren’t good enough and need to be babysat the entire game.

There’s a fucking league title at stake here. 

16 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Not signing a centre back, even on a short-term basis, would be astounding. There are loads of half-decent centre backs around who aren’t getting a game elsewhere who we could bring in on loan. At the moment we’re weakening our midfield by playing players out of position in defense or we’re bringing in Williams and Phillips who aren’t good enough and need to be babysat the entire game.

There’s a fucking league title at stake here. 

Pack up if we cannot find anyone better than Williams or Philips on loan for a few months.

It just seems like the club would rather appear clever by not spending money and keeping to their strict business model. 

Using players that cost nothing is ok but not when they aren't good enough for anyone in the Championship to buy them for a couple of million or coming back from a loan at fucking Kidderminster. 

The owners must be made up when there's an U23 player included in the squad out of necessity rather than them being amazing. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

I think as far as winning the league goes the next 7 games are pretty crucial to us having any hope on the run in.

We face:

Man Utd
Burnley
Spurs away
West Ham away
Brighton
Man City
Leicester away

Some really tough games in there and whilst we are playing them Man City have an absolutely dead easy set of games.

Brighton

Palace

Villa

WBA away

Sheff Utd

Burnley away

We are gonna need a good haul from ours and probably need to beat them to not find ourselves the sharp end of 8-10 pts behind them after that lot and them still having a game in hand (unless Everton game is played in that time)....a gap even with 14 games left that would be really hard to claw back.

We need to get about 16 points from that run at least and possibly 17 points. Ideally beat both Mancs.

The other side of it is that if we come through it, we are in a lovely position. Pretty much all of our hard away games (on paper) done bar United. Wolves and Arsenal maybe might not be easy but if we get our mojo back, we will be okay. All of our shitty home games done bar Chelsea but if we are chasing a title when they come to town and Frankie is in charge, we will smash them all over the shop.

I'm going with 

United 1

Burnley 3

Spurs 1

West Ham 3

Brighton 3

City 3

Leicester 1

City are a better team than United, but going on current form, I would be pleasantly surprised if we beat United. We are a much better team but we are very shakey right now. What a game to change things though.

I'm probably going off our current form a bit, but taking into account that we will recover as well.

If we were about 4 points off City after that run of games, I don't think it's a disaster to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

We need to get about 16 points from that run at least and possibly 17 points. Ideally beat both Mancs.

The other side of it is that if we come through it, we are in a lovely position. Pretty much all of our hard away games (on paper) done bar United. Wolves and Arsenal maybe might not be easy but if we get our mojo back, we will be okay. All of our shitty home games done bar Chelsea but if we are chasing a title when they come to town and Frankie is in charge, we will smash them all over the shop.

I'm going with 

United 1

Burnley 3

Spurs 1

West Ham 3

Brighton 3

City 3

Leicester 1

City are a better team than United, but going on current form, I would be pleasantly surprised if we beat United. We are a much better team but we are very shakey right now. What a game to change things though.

I'm probably going off our current form a bit, but taking into account that we will recover as well.

If we were about 4 points off City after that run of games, I don't think it's a disaster to be honest.

As our form this season has gone I would swap the Utd/Burnley, Spurs/West Ham and Leicester/Brighton points around.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

We face:

Man Utd
Burnley
Spurs away
West Ham away
Brighton
Man City
Leicester away

Brighton

Palace

Villa

WBA away

Sheff Utd

Burnley away

Realistically, I don’t think we can afford to drop points in more than one of the games pre-City and even then will need to beat them to have a chance. They’re in form, effectively ahead of us with the game in hand and have an easy 18 points from the six fixtures before they come to Anfield. If beating City at Anfield leaves us ‘only’ five points behind, I’m not sure I can see us being that much better than them over the rest of the season when our squad is so limited through injury with apparently no real desire to bolster it.

The real key, as far as I’m concerned, is making sure we don’t really stuff it up and drop out of the top four - given the age of our best players, it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see many want out rather than waste a crucial year in the Europa.