You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not meaning to be salty. I just think anyone would be hard-pushed to match the pace of those two, when fit.

*sheds a wistful tear at the thought of two fit CBs*

I know mate they are both very quick, we need a bit of pace, the Botman lad seems to move well enough on clips. 

This is a pretty good video of him to watch. You can see some of his faults, he makes a couple of poor clearances with headers in the last few minutes of it. He looks to win the ball in the air more often than not but doesn’t always get good distance on it. I can see the ‘50p head’ Skrtel comparisons in that respect. 

As for pace I think he looks around the level of someone like Lovren, not slow but not elite pace like Gomez and VVD, he does look a little slow on the turn to me. 

On the plus side he’s an absolute unit and looks really good on the ball. He’s got the ability to ping cross field balls like Virg by the looks of it. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's no Virgil in the pace department, but he's big and can run. 

The second part, I don't know what Ajax were thinking and I don't know how interested we would have been before he proved himself a bit at Lille. 8m is a fair enough sum for an Eredivisie club. Maybe they thought they had enough at CB and decided to cash in.

And as for us, we normally wait before players prove themselves at a high level before spending on a player that will integrate right away in the first team. With the desperate situation we're in, maybe a great half a season is enough for us now. 

And yes, the link kind of makes no sense, but not because of that. More that I'm not sure why Lille would sell him this Jan. 

Anyway, I think he has high potential. Whether it's for now or the future, I think he'd fit the bill as 4th choice. Let's see. 

As for why Lille would sell is perhaps they're skint despite them telling everyone they're not. Or he has a release clause.