You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Simbo said:

So he’s left footed and plays as a left sided CB? Are we really going to move the best CB in the world once he’s back fit to accommodate this guy?

Fans: We need better backups!

Edwards: Goes out and buys a 20 year-old with top potential.

Fans: What, are you saying you're going to move van Dijk to accommodate him, then?

Edwards: Errrrr ...

My post came across a bit wrong there.....this guy looks like a real prospect so I’m happy about potentially signing him. However we can’t rely on Gomez or Matip to stay fit so what happens when VVD is fit again? You’d expect Botman to be earmarked as a long term partner for Virgil but they both play on the same side. I’m sure we’ve got a plan for him. 

Virgil is right footed. He plays on the left because he is vastly superior to the other centre backs we have that are also right footed. 

If you only have right footed centre backs then the best centre back you have plays on the left hand side of the pair. 

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So where's the video of the bits he fucks up? As good as he looks there, he went for about 8m euros a couple of months back. There must be something we're not seeing in the clip, as he looks like he can play there. 

Remember celtic brought van dijk to the UK, and Southampton brought him to England. We could have saved ourselves 70 million if we bought him earlier. 

Not saying this lad is van dijk level, but if our scouting department think he's worth the money, then odds are he is. 

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

Remember celtic brought van dijk to the UK, and Southampton brought him to England. We could have saved ourselves 70 million if we bought him earlier. 

Not saying this lad is van dijk level, but if our scouting department think he's worth the money, then odds are he is. 

Yeah, but it took years for him to get to that level. Botman only joined Lille in the summer. I'm assuming the way we go about buying players we'll have known about him before and at £7m it would seem strange we'd have not tried to bring him in this summer to replace lovren. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but it took years for him to get to that level. Botman only joined Lille in the summer. I'm assuming the way we go about buying players we'll have known about him before and at £7m it would seem strange we'd have not tried to bring him in this summer to replace lovren. 

Maybe we looked and thought he needed a few seasons of first team football and if he advanced as we’d hoped we’d look at him down the line. Obviously the circumstances have changed but I believe we usually look to buy developed players who are closer to the cusp of breaking in to the top tier of talent.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So where's the video of the bits he fucks up? As good as he looks there, he went for about 8m euros a couple of months back. There must be something we're not seeing in the clip, as he looks like he can play there. 

He's played a season and a half of first team football in his career, one on loan in Eredivisie and the half at Lille. The first whiff of high level football he's had at Lille, he's been excellent.

The 8m fee is because Lille bought him from the u23's and it seems like Ajax just cashed in on him without giving him a first team shot. It might have been a mistake on their part. 

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Maybe we looked and thought he needed a few seasons of first team football and if he advanced as we’d hoped we’d look at him down the line. Obviously the circumstances have changed but I believe we usually look to buy developed players who are closer to the cusp of breaking in to the top tier of talent.

Yeah, I get things have changed and I would expect him to be better than the alternatives. I just can't help but feel he's probably not as competent as that video suggested considering he was just 7m in the summer and we didn't go near him. The bottom line with defenders tends to be what do they fuck up, a bit like goalies. Forwards have only got to get it right once per game, defenders can't afford to get it wrong once per game. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I get things have changed and I would expect him to be better than the alternatives. I just can't help but feel he's probably not as competent as that video suggested considering he was just 7m in the summer and we didn't go near him. The bottom line with defenders tends to be what do they fuck up, a bit like goalies. Forwards have only got to get it right once per game, defenders can't afford to get it wrong once per game. 

He won't be the best defender in the world right away. He's not very experienced. But with his physical quality, he's someone we could make into a top defender, no question. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's played a season and a half of first team football in his career, one on loan in Eredivisie and the half at Lille. The first whiff of high level football he's had at Lille, he's been excellent.

The 8m fee is because Lille bought him from the u23's and it seems like Ajax just cashed in on him without giving him a first team shot. It might have been a mistake on their part. 

But he was on loan somewhere in the top flight in Holland though wasn't he, so they must have seem him play more than a few times and made a decent assesment. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He won't be the best defender in the world right away. He's not very experienced. But with his physical quality, he's someone we could make into a top defender, no question. 

When you say physical quality, do you mean because he's big or is he fast too? 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Clubs make these kinds of mistakes all the time. 

But assuming we were watching him back then (as it would seem unlikely we'd go only off a couple of months in France) that's us and Ajax who both think 7m was a lot for him, as we didn't get involved and Ajax were glad of the money. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't see this as a credible link at 25m+ add ons, which seems.to be the rumour. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

When you say physical quality, do you mean because he's big or is he fast too? 

But assuming we were watching him back then (as it would seem unlikely we'd go only off a couple of months in France) that's us and Ajax who both think 7m was a lot for him, as we didn't get involved and Ajax were glad of the money. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't see this as a credible link at 25m+ add ons, which seems.to be the rumour. 

He's no Virgil in the pace department, but he's big and can run. 

The second part, I don't know what Ajax were thinking and I don't know how interested we would have been before he proved himself a bit at Lille. 8m is a fair enough sum for an Eredivisie club. Maybe they thought they had enough at CB and decided to cash in.

And as for us, we normally wait before players prove themselves at a high level before spending on a player that will integrate right away in the first team. With the desperate situation we're in, maybe a great half a season is enough for us now. 

And yes, the link kind of makes no sense, but not because of that. More that I'm not sure why Lille would sell him this Jan. 

Anyway, I think he has high potential. Whether it's for now or the future, I think he'd fit the bill as 4th choice. Let's see. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Grinch said:

We've known for months that the moronic decision to rely on three centre backs with two made of crisps failed miserably.  All the work other than sending the fax should have been sorted. 

We are top of the League.  We finished top of our Champions League group. We were a penalty shoot-out away from still being in the League Cup. 

Yes, we could do with signing a CB with a bit more experience and quality than Williams and Phillips, but it's hard to argue that our current position is the result of "moronic" decisions.