You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but someone (the 4th choice) would be unhappy, and we'd probably wind up selling that player anyway. If you're Gomez or Matip and you're made 4th choice, after both have been quite regular starters for a while, they won't take it well. 

I don't think Lovren sulked about it last season.  They're all big enough and ugly enough to understand that we need 4 senior CBs.

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

So basically only VVD as a major signing in three years. And only going back three years. Thanks for supporting my point.

I didn't bother going back much further because I thought it was obvious that we've made January signings whenever we've needed them - and FSG have never been shy of authorising January signings when the manager wants them.

• Upvote 1

We definitely aren't buying someone as soon as the window opens (we've had months to plan for this).

So either we have no intention of buying at all, or we are feeding the media that we don't want to buy so that selling clubs don't take us to the cleaners and then we make offers in the last week/day of January so that it forces their hand to sell an unsettled player. 

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I didn't bother going back much further because I thought it was obvious that we've made January signings whenever we've needed them - and FSG have never been shy of authorising January signings when the manager wants them.

Except they haven’t. Minamino was an impulse purchase because of his release clause. VVD had burnt his bridges at Southampton and both clubs just wanted it done as a premium. When we did really need backup in Roggo’s potential title season they wouldn’t cough up.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He did his acl his first year with us I think you are right.

Wasn't this latest a tendon injury? Knee cap isn't it?

I thought he was ACL this time, but I might be wrong about that. 

13 hours ago, Daisy said:

Neil Jones has said the same

Neil Jones, fucking hell, he's a blast from the not too distant past. Where did he end up when he left the echo? I never hear of him anymore. 

12 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think Alaba will demand a gigantic wage. Would imagine signing an up and comer like Botman or Schurs is more along the lines of what FSG want.

Any word on Joel? I heard it was 3-4 months and then read that is bullshit and nothing confirmed.

3-4 months - Jesus, what could that be? I thought a groin even with an op was about 8 weeks and 6 weeks without if it's properly gone. 

The weird thing with that injury is he was just kicking the ball, he wasn't even stretching. I think the lad is clearly not made to play football. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Except they haven’t. Minamino was an impulse purchase because of his release clause. VVD had burnt his bridges at Southampton and both clubs just wanted it done as a premium. When we did really need backup in Roggo’s potential title season they wouldn’t cough up.

Carroll, Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge & Grujic were all January singings as well. I know Carroll was bought off the back of Torres being sold, but still.

Who were we linked with in Rodger's 13/14 season who we didn't sign? Salah?

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Can't wait for the "Fuck FSG" thread to be bumped soon...

FEG will be out of hybernation for the start of the new year.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Carroll, Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge & Grujic were all January singings as well. I know Carroll was bought off the back of Torres being sold, but still.

Who were we linked with in Rodger's 13/14 season who we didn't sign? Salah?

Konoplyanka was another one. We were apparently ready to pay the asking price, Ayre rode off on his Harley to negotiate only to be told to turn back round by the player's club president as the player wasn't for sale at any price. We've dodged a bullet there because Konoplyanka hasn't pulled up any trees since, being a bit-part player at Sevilla and Schalke before going back to the Ukraine.

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Konoplyanka was another one. We were apparently ready to pay the asking price, Ayre rode off on his Harley to negotiate only to be told to turn back round by the player's club president as the player wasn't for sale at any price. We've dodged a bullet there because Konoplyanka hasn't pulled up any trees since, being a bit-part player at Sevilla and Schalke before going back to the Ukraine.

If we'd been strongly linked with a quality centre half that January and failed to make a signing, I'd be inclined to agree Rodgers wasn't backed.

But that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought he was ACL this time, but I might be wrong about that. 

Neil Jones, fucking hell, he's a blast from the not too distant past. Where did he end up when he left the echo? I never hear of him anymore. 

3-4 months - Jesus, what could that be? I thought a groin even with an op was about 8 weeks and 6 weeks without if it's properly gone. 

The weird thing with that injury is he was just kicking the ball, he wasn't even stretching. I think the lad is clearly not made to play football. 

Nobody seems to know. I've seen everything from 3-4 weeks right up to some lads saying he won't play again this season.

I'm guessing we'll know more today but my gut is he's out for about 6 weeks to 2 months. 

Looking at our fixtures, we have most of our hardest remaining games in the period he is likely to be out (United, Everton and City at home and Spurs, West Ham, Leicester and Southampton away). 

With Southampton and Newcastle they both seem to be missing a few players, so fingers crossed we just get the 6 points and have a bit of time to think about the Mancs.

53 minutes ago, Trumo said:

FEG will be out of hybernation for the start of the new year.

He was an average player, not good enough for us. Yarmolenko is way better, and he’s struggling to get games at mighty West Ham. It’s true he had a bad injury though.