You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I fucking hate modern football sometimes. You get a few injuries and all a sudden lot of people think it's Football Manager 2020 time and you just go out and snap up a couple of world class replacements instead of using your squad. Couple of young lads who havent let us down and people want 'better.' Kinell.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I fucking hate modern football sometimes. You get a few injuries and all a sudden lot of people think it's Football Manager 2020 time and you just go out and snap up a couple of world class replacements instead of using your squad. Couple of young lads who havent let us down and people want 'better.' Kinell.

I would go for Phlegm Knutt at Helsingborg and Mario Karte at Bielefeld.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Alternatively, we sold 2 centre backs and didn't replace them simultaneously hoping 2 injury prone defenders would suddenly not get injured any more and VVD would remain invincible. This isn't hindsight either. The 2 kids who have played recently were nowhere near the first team last season and Phillips would have been sold if we could have found a buyer. 

• Upvote 6

According to the BBC, City are not looking to do much in the January window.

Manchester City will make signing a striker their priority for 2021, with Borussia Dortmund's Norwegian star Erling Braut Haaland, 20, and Inter Milan's Argentine frontman Lautaro Martinez, 23, their top targets. (90min)

City are contemplating a £100m double move for Aston Villa midfielders Jack Grealish, 25, and Douglas Luiz, 22. City sold Brazil's Luiz to Villa last year but could activate his buyback clause. (Star)

Belgium midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, 29, says he is in talks with Manchester City over a new deal but discussions are "not advanced".(VTM Nieuws, via Guardian)

Both On strike and Remmie are right in my opinion. With regard to the context, let’s see how the youngsters perform from now on and then we make up our mind. Still, we can assume we need a senior  player to come along because of Matip’s record and the overall situation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Tsimikas has never let us down?

11 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Ornstein saying we not planning on buying in January 

The club would be saying that in November, to be fair. We're probably still trying to figure this situation out and even if we wanted to buy someone, there's no reason at this moment in time to tell some journo that. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ornstien was the 1st the call we wouldn't spend after winning the European cup. Everyone said then he knew fuck all. Clearly from a number of things he has been spot on about us over the last 2 years, he's connected with someone around the club. People forget large parts of the club are run out of London. 

Ornstein has legit sources, he's not a tabloid guy, he's a serious journalist. But we're a month and a half before the window opens. Business in the January window especially is reactionary. Just because someone at the club is telling him we're not thinking about buying doesn't mean we won't be thinking about buying someone in December when Matip is injured again and Rhys Williams has played his 3rd consecutive game. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Ornstein has legit sources, he's not a tabloid guy, he's a serious journalist. But we're a month and a half before the window opens. Business in the January window especially is reactionary. Just because someone at the club is telling him we're not thinking about buying doesn't mean we won't be thinking about buying someone in December when Matip is injured again and Rhys Williams has played his 3rd consecutive game. 

I personally think the thing with ornstien is he's not like the journos who have nothing but LFC. He tries to be a credible journalists and I would imagine tries to verify his stories, where the echo and a few other just put out what the club want people to hear. It would not shock me if we bought nobody, because we'll get fucked on price if there's not a release clause or a club desperate for cash and it's unlikely anyone will be that desperate while ffp is a little relaxed. I'm absolutely certain how we measure the value of a footballer won't change, so if the spreadsheet says no, it'll still be no even of we have no fit centre halves.