You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

32 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Seen on BBC gossip that Bild are linking with Alaba who is apparently out of contract in Jan. Been playing a lot of CB, but also good long term replacement for Milner and potentially Gini.

His contract runs out next summer, doesn't it? Which would mean he can sign for a non-German team from January. He'd be a superb signing.

Where would he want to play though? Primarily as a midfielder but able to cover at the back? 

11 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

His contract runs out next summer, doesn't it? Which would mean he can sign for a non-German team from January. He'd be a superb signing.

Where would he want to play though? Primarily as a midfielder but able to cover at the back? 

That's what I'd assumed as well. Would be weird to be up in Jan, unless there was a short-term Covid extension.

I think he'd want assurance to play in midfield eventually, but he's always going to be played in a number of positions because everyone knows he can do it.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why would Alaba expect to be played in midfield? He hasn't played there in years.

Wants to play there. Usually plays there for Austria. There's a thought that his ludicrous wage demands at Bayern are in part because he never gets to play there and he wants something in return as a result.

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wants to play there. Usually plays there for Austria. There's a thought that his ludicrous wage demands at Bayern are in part because he never gets to play there and he wants something in return as a result.

I saw him playing left back for them just a couple weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I saw him playing left back for them just a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, in the past midfield, now more left back. His versatility betrays him when it comes to playing the position he wants to play the most.

I think he's best at CB, he's unbelievable there.

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bayern wont want to give us another key player for fuck all. 

But like the Thiago situation, they are not in control - the player can sign with us in 8 weeks for free and they get nothing other than him playing for another 6 months. If they get a similar fee that would be good business for them.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

But like the Thiago situation, they are not in control - the player can sign with us in 8 weeks for free and they get nothing other than him playing for another 6 months. If they get a similar fee that would be good business for them.

True. I'd rather Upemacano but wouldn't cry at all if this fella came in January. 

For any signings this january we need them in from day 1. None of this deadline day Jim White cunting fax dildo waving "Awight Hawwy" bollocky wank. 

Alaba makes a lot of sense given he's top class and can play in several different positions. With Gini, and maybe even Milner, heading out at the end of the season I'm concerned with the loss of a winning mentality and experience in the squad and Alaba would help with that. 

But isn't he asking for 300 - 400k a week at Bayern? I can't see him getting that here - that would make him the highest paid player at the club. 

Another name to consider is Samuel Umtiti at Barcelona. He's had injury issues (so should fit right in) but Barcelona want his wages off the books and he might be available for loan. 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Another name to consider is Samuel Umtiti at Barcelona. He's had injury issues (so should fit right in) but Barcelona want his wages off the books and he might be available for loan. 

No more walking popadoms please 

Five centre backs on our list according to the Express: Ozan Kabak, Dayout Upamecano, Pau Torres, Jules Kounde and Mykola Matvienko.

The first two are familiar names. Does anyone know if the other three are any good?

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1353878/Liverpool-news-FSG-Jurgen-Klopp-January-Dayot-Upamecano-Jules-Kounde-Ozan-Kabak

• Upvote 1