You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

15 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Spitting, urgh, just the worst. The most disrespectful. I’d rather somebody hit me than spat at me. 

Depends who is doing the hitting obviously. If it’s Mike Tyson or Deontay Wilder, than I’d rather be spat at. But if it’s an average Joe on the street, I’d rather be punched.

It's disgusting and in this world we live in today it beggars belief to be honest. 

I think whoever we buy - and I think we will buy someone - will be pretty underwhelming. If you're Klopp, you don't go from thinking you're sorted at the centre back position to spending massive amounts just because you have a big injury. It will probably be a younger, less experienced player or a stopgap. Certainly not someone like Upamecano with Champions League experience and who expects to play every game.

9 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Upamecano pls. Thanks. What's with the 'only 6ft 1' thing? If they can leap, that's fine. Talller than Carra and Lawro, same as Hansen. Not the end of the world. 

Because Klopp knows his teams get targeted in the air and generally prefers tall centre backs. 

Van Dyke, Matip and Hummels all over 1.90m

Hes said before he wishes all our players were six inches taller. 

I've not looked at their stats but if these guys have got ridiculous aerial duel win stats then I guess they could be genuine options 

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Because Klopp knows his teams get targeted in the air and generally prefers tall centre backs. 

Van Dyke, Matip and Hummels all over 1.90m

Hes said before he wishes all our players were six inches taller. 

I've not looked at their stats but if these guys have got ridiculous aerial duel win stats then I guess they could be genuine options 

He plays Gomez all the time and he's about half an inch taller than Upamacano. I think the part that's subtext is that he wishes they were six inches taller whilst still remaining as good and now gangling around the pitch like Lurch. I'm sure he'd prefer a quality player who is an inch or so shorter but faster, stronger, and - importantly - way better. In short, I doubt he would rule a player out for being 6ft 1in. It's hardly a midget. I also like really tall CBs, but they've got to be able to play well too. Those are pretty thin on the ground. 

Harry Maguire could be available, for example. 

Just now, Nummer Neunzehn said:

He plays Gomez all the time and he's about half an inch taller than Upamacano. I think the part that's subtext is that he wishes they were six inches taller whilst still remaining as good and now gangling around the pitch like Lurch. I'm sure he'd prefer a quality player who is an inch or so shorter but faster, stronger, and - importantly - way better. In short, I doubt he would rule a player out for being 6ft 1in. It's hardly a midget. 

Yeah he plays Gomez when he's next to Van Dyke. 

I just don't think he would want to sign a replacement for Van Dyke (and to a lesser extent Matip) that is quite a bit shorter, as it will leave us without any height in our back four at all. 

• Upvote 1

He's loyal to a fault but Jurgen must be coming round to the view that Matip isn't reliable enough to hold down a squad place with just two other CBs.  Fab makes up the fourth CB but that's not a long-term solution and we'll need Fab in the midfield group if Gini leaves. 

There must be a good chance that come January we'll be investing in a top level CB - maybe by bringing forward the money that has probably already been budgeted for next summer. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool have a scout watching IFK Norrköping’s Icelandic supertalent Isak Bergmann Johannesson tonight in Norrköpings game against AIK, says local Norrköping newspaper NT. Huge talent, has 3 goals and 7 assists at 17-years-old in his debut season.

The new Haukar Gudnason.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool have a scout watching IFK Norrköping’s Icelandic supertalent Isak Bergmann Johannesson tonight in Norrköpings game against AIK, says local Norrköping newspaper NT. Huge talent, has 3 goals and 7 assists at 17-years-old in his debut season.

Fit the homegrown quota.....He was born in Sutton Coldfield 

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If it was up to me, I'd sign whoever the best, young left footed centre back is. Don't know who that is though, I'm not the best judge of CB's, usually. Credit to me for admitting that.

Humility with a twist of arrogance. 

On 24/10/2020 at 19:42, 3 Stacks said:

I can't make much sense of those figures but I'd work of the principle that all stats alongside Virgil are null and void. He starts from scratch now,  Saturday was a struggle against McBurnie but the positive from that was we appeared to learn on the go and were much better at controlling the long balls in the second half. After West Ham we have 3 games against non hoofers so we have the guts of a month to turn Gomez into a heading machine. This is what Klopp has done from day one, train and improve what he has.

Thiago's influence will be huge here, for every extra minute we have the ball its less opportunity for the opposition to Wimbledon it.

13 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

How’s the lad at Juventus getting on? Looked shit hot during Ajax’s run to the semi’s and was briefly linked to us? Any chance he’s stagnated and just needs a Koop hug to kick on?

No chance. 

Juventus have confirmed the signing of Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax for a fee of €75m (£67.8m), with the 19-year-old defender agreeing a five-year contract worth a basic €16m (£14.5m) a season which could rise to €24m (£21.7m) with add-ons.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/18/matthijs-de-ligt-joins-juventus-from-ajax-75m-deal

30 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

How’s the lad at Juventus getting on? Looked shit hot during Ajax’s run to the semi’s and was briefly linked to us? Any chance he’s stagnated and just needs a Koop hug to kick on?

He's had a torrid time since leaving Ajax. Hardly played for Juve after some poor performances. Think he's currently out injured.