You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So back to what I asked you originally, I don't get what you've seen in him though. I've watched every minute. He's big. It's been hard to tell if he has any football talent aside from being big. And the rest is hype. 

One last time, I personally haven't seen anything, I didn't say I've seen anything. I don't know why you keep saying I have seen something. The extent of his first team experience is about 90 minutes of preseason football, how the fuck would I or anyone not with the club know anything. I said I think the club and Klopp see something from the way they've brought him along and by what his attributes look to be. 

5 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Linked to that kabak again isn’t he the fella who spat on someone during a game recently?

Gave away two awful pens two games on the run and in those two games was part of a defence conceding 10 or 11 goals. Got sent off but not for spitting, which he did do. Not for me Clive.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Klopp said we had "a problem in that position" meaning for that one pre-season game, not as a whole.  As his plan all along was to use Fabinho as fourth choice with an extra addition to the midfield group in Thiago to make that more possible and still give his favourites a decent amount of playing time.

Really silly that people keep using that as some sort of "gotcha".

Agree that Koumetio will play 0 games at centre back this season.  

I honestly think that was the best option at the time, it only maybe looks a little suspect in hindsight after the injury to Virg.

If you would have asked most people their priority positions this season for new signings I guess they would have been:

Back-up left back

Back-up for the front three

Someone better than Adrian for Back-up keeper

Someone to replace Lovren as fourth choice centre back.

The first two we got. Replacement for Adrian we probably should have done but I think that was the least priority of the positions we needed reinforcements. I'm surprised we spent as much as we did so a new keeper as well was pushing it.

So the option when it came to replacing Lovren was either Thiago in midfield and Fabinho covering or keep the midfield options as they were and sign either a veteran or young centre back who is happy to be fourth choice - and they would have probably been below the quality Fabinho can provide there so they'd still be on the bench now as they would be behind Gomez, Matip and possibly Fabinho even with the injury to VVD.

Talk of signing someone like Ben White was always fantasy, for me, as he wouldn't have wanted to come and be fourth choice. Maybe now we could get someone like him or Upemacano as they have got an opportunity to claim a place in the side, but in the summer I don't think that was possible.

If you are being honest would you rather have had Ben white and no Thigao, or Thigao and fabinho covering at centre back before the season started? I would have picked the Thiago option every time as he improves our already impressive first XI straight away and White would have been sat on the bench.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I honestly think that was the best option at the time, it only maybe looks a little suspect in hindsight after the injury to Virg.

If you would have asked most people their priority positions this season for new signings I guess they would have been:

Back-up left back

Back-up for the front three

Someone better than Adrian for Back-up keeper

Someone to replace Lovren as fourth choice centre back.

The first two we got. Replacement for Adrian we probably should have done but I think that was the least priority of the positions we needed reinforcements. I'm surprised we spent as much as we did so a new keeper as well was pushing it.

So the option when it came to replacing Lovren was either Thiago in midfield and Fabinho covering or keep the midfield options as they were and sign either a veteran or young centre back who is happy to be fourth choice - and they would have probably been below the quality Fabinho can provide there so they'd still be on the bench now as they would be behind Gomez, Matip and possibly Fabinho even with the injury to VVD.

Talk of signing someone like Ben White was always fantasy, for me, as he wouldn't have wanted to come and be fourth choice. Maybe now we could get someone like him or Upemacano as they have got an opportunity to claim a place in the side, but in the summer I don't think that was possible.

If you are being honest would you rather have had Ben white and no Thigao, or Thigao and fabinho covering at centre back before the season started? I would have picked the Thiago option every time as he improves our already impressive first XI straight away and White would have been sat on the bench.

As soon as Thiago wanted to sign for us, there was only one choice. Although, maybe selling Wijnaldum or letting Milner go and getting a CB as well was probably the ideal thing in hindsight.

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

As soon as Thiago wanted to sign for us, there was only one choice. Although, maybe selling Wijnaldum or letting Milner go and getting a CB as well was probably the ideal thing in hindsight.

True but imagine if we let Gini go, VVD didn't get injured but that rat cunt broke Things leg. We'd be fucked in the middle then. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think klopp is absolutely on board with the idea he funds his 1st team purchases by inflating the profile of no marks who will never be good enough to pay for us. We've got 5 years of watching it, it's really obvious it's part of the game. And he is the most PR savvy manager in football. 

Done it with Brewster.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

One last time, I personally haven't seen anything, I didn't say I've seen anything. I don't know why you keep saying I have seen something. The extent of his first team experience is about 90 minutes of preseason football, how the fuck would I or anyone not with the club know anything. I said I think the club and Klopp see something from the way they've brought him along and by what his attributes look to be. 

so judging by the above and the below, basically what your saying are his attributes are "big"? It can't be based on anything else, because we've hardly seen him play and we fast track players all the time. This window we've collected about £35m by doing just that with 2 players who didn't have a premier league appearance between them. this fast track mechanism keeps pressure off from the fanbase as the pretend they don't want to block a players path and give the impression outside of the club to use your words " the physical quality that the club think they can mold into someone dominant". It's nonsense. He'll be likely be fucking crap like the rest of them they hype and fast track. 

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Got fast-tracked to the first team picture this summer out of nowhere ahead of the likes of van Den Berg who we paid a couple million for. And I think the reason is because he has the size, the physical quality that the club think they can mold into someone dominant. And left footed, so left sided like van Dijk. But he's only 17 so it's a long term thing.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

so judging by the above and the below, basically what your saying are his attributes are "big"? It can't be based on anything else, because we've hardly seen him play and we fast track players all the time. This window we've collected about £35m by doing just that with 2 players who didn't have a premier league appearance between them. this fast track mechanism keeps pressure off from the fanbase as the pretend they don't want to block a players path and give the impression outside of the club to use your words " the physical quality that the club think they can mold into someone dominant". It's nonsense. He'll be likely be fucking crap like the rest of them they hype and fast track. 

For sure. Klopp just let him train with the first team for no reason. They already know he's crap. Your cynicism is pretty sad. You're the one talking nonsense with this PR obsession of yours. Another FSG conspiracy theory so that we don't have to buy anybody, clearly.

He's a 17 year old kid. He might turn out crap. Most of them do. Doesn't mean they don't have a potential plan for him. That's all I was saying. Shouldn't exactly be a hot take, except for the likes of you, for some reason.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For sure. Klopp just let him train with the first team for no reason. They already know he's crap. Your cynicism is pretty sad. You're the one talking nonsense with this PR obsession of yours. Another FSG conspiracy theory so that we don't have to buy anybody, clearly.

He's a 17 year old kid. He might turn out crap. Most of them do. Doesn't mean they don't have a potential plan for him. That's all I was saying. Shouldn't exactly be a hot take, except for the likes of you, for some reason.

OK, we're doing it all because we think they're good at football.

you're talking like we're operating a sunday league team, not a multi million pound business where footballers are assets and young kids a revenue stream. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

OK, we're doing it all because we think they're good at football.

you're talking like we're operating a sunday league team, not a multi million pound business where footballers are assets and young kids a revenue stream. 

Well of course that's the number one goal. I'm amazed that you, the oracle, who can decipher every dastardly FSG tactic from miles away wouldn't acknowledge that if we have a kid that is actually good, that saves us money and keeps the owners from having to spend.

We've given kids shots if we like them like Trent, Jones and Williams. And if we can't figure it out, like Brewster or Hoever, they go and that's a way to gather funds. So what? Doesn't mean Klopp never, ever had a plan for those two and we were all led astray.

I don't get your point. It's just looking for stuff to complain about. I don't know if you can tell, I like to argue, but this has been pointless. Gee, clubs like to hype up their kids, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Who knew.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well of course that's the number one goal. I'm amazed that you, the oracle, who can decipher every dastardly FSG tactic from miles away wouldn't acknowledge that if we have a kid that is actually good, that saves us money and keeps the owners from having to spend.

We've given kids shots if we like them like Trent, Jones and Williams. And if we can't figure it out, like Brewster or Hoever, they go and that's a way to gather funds. So what? Doesn't mean Klopp never, ever had a plan for those two and we were all led astray.

I don't get your point. It's just looking for stuff to complain about. I don't know if you can tell, I like to argue, but this has been pointless. Gee, clubs like to hype up their kids, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Who knew.

getting good players is a goal. i am not sure it is the number one goal. 

there was virtually no hype around trent. there has been very little about jones - aside from when he's done it on the pitch. there's been loads about williams - i'll tell you why, because he's not very good and he'll be gone by the end of the window following the 21/22 season. the louder the hype from the club (or the echo which in effect is the same thing), the less talent the player has imo. the ones they actually think are good, they're trying to keep their feet on the ground. Koumetio has been praise like VVD, Hansen and Phil Thompson rolled into one. 

so the point is you were fluffing up koumetio's involvement. i asked what basis you have for thinking he can do anything. you said "well he's big". ta. 

• Downvote 2

On 21/10/2020 at 12:07, 3 Stacks said:

We will get a CB in January. Too big of a hole in the squad now, and Wijnaldum leaving next summer will make up for the extra squad spot this CB will take. I very much doubt it will be a "top" CB, though.

This guy makes a pretty compelling case to take a look at Duje Caleta-Car.

Marseilles already agreed to sell him for 20m to West Ham in the summer, he rejected the move, but at least the price is reasonable. Only 24, but best of all, he's a great passer, which is something we're sure to miss with Virgil out. Also wins a good percentage of his duels, a bit of a poor man's Virgil in his style if you'll forgive the comparison.

One to keep an eye out for, maybe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Marseilles already agreed to sell him for 20m to West Ham in the summer, he rejected the move, but at least the price is reasonable. Only 24, but best of all, he's a great passer, which is something we're sure to miss with Virgil out. Also wins a good percentage of his duels, a bit of a poor man's Virgil in his style if you'll forgive the comparison.

Interesting.

I've been having a little think about who we could potentially target, outside the obvious and those we've already been linked with in the past. Buying from the Premier League appears highly unlikely for me, what with the astronomical fees that Premier League clubs will want in the Winter window.

I've also ruled out clubs playing in the Champions League, as they'll be less inclined to sell during the season, especially if they progress beyond the group stages.

Here are who I think could be intriguing potential targets that I like the look of:

Nikola Milenkovic at Fiorentina

Kristoffer Ajer up at Celtic.

I'd also consider a flyer on Connor Goldson at Rangers as he ticks the homegrown box, without the ridiculous price hike.

Milenkovic would the be most expensive of those 3, but with Fiorentina not in European competition this season, and in all likelihood they won't be again next season, the young Serb ticks a lot of boxes for me. Contracted to Florence club until the end of the 2022 season. I reckon he could be had in the region of £25-£30 million.

23 years old, but with good experience at International level having won 23 caps for Serbia already. He's a fraction taller than Virgil, so would help cover the loss of Virgil's aerial ability. He's also very comfortable playing at right back too, as he's played a number of games there for Fiorentina, so offers a touch of versatility if we ever did consider changing to a back 3, or if we ran into injury issues in that position.

Ajer is a player I've seen a fair bit of over the past couple of seasons, and one who to me needs a move to a better league to kick on. Again, he has some versatility about him, as he's very comfortable playing further up the park in a defensive midfield role.

Very composed on the ball, and another 6'5" lad who is more than decent in the air. Just 22 years old and is contracted to Celtic until the end of the 2022 season. Quite surprised that he didn't move on in the Summer, as there were plenty of rumours floating around that he wanted to move on from Celtic Park. A fee of £12-£15 million would be more than enough to secure his signature.

As for the flyer in Connor Goldson, I considered homegrown players outside the Premier League, and barring a few young potentials, Goldson ticks a number of boxes.

He's 27, so is more experienced than those above in terms of age, and has played in all tiers of the Professional Leagues in England. He's also a leader, having captained Rangers on a number of occasions. 

A touch smaller than Virgil, he's still very good in the air, though he lacks the ball playing ability in comparison with the others. Again, he's contract until the end of the 2022 season, so I reckon he could be snapped up for £10 million at the most. A big plus for Goldson is his homegrown status, and I reckon he'd jump at a move down South to give any aspirations he has of playing International football that little more of a push.

I've gone off to Squawka to grab their comparison matrix to compare the domestic seasons of the 3 above, as well as Caleta-Car that Ne Moe mentioned.

https://www.squawka.com/en/comparison-matrix/?compare=hU63Iyjx1EX1vtv0ZtyK7

image.thumb.png.1d6e79db953fcb4cf80eb5718e223e3e.png

• Upvote 7

Awesome Dynamite. The worry with Milenkovic for me is the percentage of ground duels won and the number of fouls committed. It tells me 2 things: one that he is not great on 1-1 situation and if he is committing so many fouls in a slow league as the serie A, he's probably doesn't have the pace and ability to read the game well and gonna be eaten up alive here...I would go with Kristoffer Ajer and Connor Goldwin as my choices. Granted the Scottish league is also not known for its pace but it's quite physical and they have 50% more success in ground duels than Milenkovic.

11 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Interesting shout. He started out badly for Marseille but he has gradually improved since then and is their top CB. Just having watched him a couple times, I honestly dont have much to say about him. 

@Ne Moe Imya what do you think about the fact we have no left footed CBs? There was an Athletic pod a little while back that talked about how much teams look for them and how valuable they are for possession football. Plus, with Virgil out, we also have no left sided ones. I think that may factor into who we buy too. Or maybe we dont care, or we assume Virgil will always play so we dont need another left sided CB, who knows.