You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Plus we’ve changed about half the team since Virgil signed and grown massively in belief after winning the CL and PL, so it’s like comparing apples and pears.

since vvd came into the team, we changed the goalkeeper, established a right back (trent had started just 10 premier league games prior to vvd joining and wasn't a right back prior to the 1st team) , brought in robbo (I know we had bought him by then, but he only got in the team once vvd arrived) and added fabinho. The only consistent is we don't have a new centre back alongside as we had the 2 we have now plus lovren and klavan. it just illustrates the shite lengths he is going to at the moment to undermine us. it's up for everyone to decide for themselves why that is, for me it started after his suspension. 

We won’t even bother trying to replace Virg, it’s completely pointless and nigh on impossible. If his recovery looks like it might take a bit more time or look like it’ll have a lasting affect then I can see us speeding up a purchase of a long term target like Ben White or whoever else is on the cards but that’s not going to really help us in the short term. The best we can hope for is the club looks at the best possible partner for VVD available and goes and gets him.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's struggled at Dortmund, no?

I think he did at first, but he still looks the part when I do watch them (rare now UK football is back). They have moved to a back three though so maybe he wouldn't be right tactically.

It’s not about replacing Virg for me. 

There’s an obvious spot open for someone consistently fit/in form enough to nail down being his regular partner. His injury lay-off urgently brings forward the need to resolve that position in the squad, but it’s not like any new signing won’t then play when he comes back.

They don’t need to be as good as him. They need to be more reliable all-round than Matip and Gomez.

• Upvote 1

Won't get any sort of decent money for Matip after this season if he has an injury record like last few years and signs are not good - here we are early in season and he's already on his 2nd period of being unavailable.

Unless he turns that tide - he will be a goner in Summer.

Given VVD situation and his unreliability (should it as looks likely continue) then surely we have to act in Jan, get his replacement in.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The question is - and it's been the question for years in terms of the centre back position - would Klopp be willing to sell Matip or Gomez? If not, we're not getting a premium centre back.

i reckon there'd be no issue in letting either go. but like everything, the spreadsheet needs to say yes. so the real question is will anyone pay the fee liverpool would want. 

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Won't get any sort of decent money for Matip after this season if he has an injury record like last few years and signs are not good - here we are early in season and he's already on his 2nd period of being unavailable.

Unless he turns that tide - he will be a goner in Summer.

Given VVD situation and his unreliability (should it as looks likely continue) then surely we have to act in Jan, get his replacement in.

Because we’ve got a long history of selling players due to their injury record under their value.  He signed a new contract 12 months ago keeping him here until 2024.  He could get injured for the whole of this season tomorrow and he wouldn’t be going anywhere.

You don’t just snap your fingers and players disappear.  I think other than Ings we haven’t sold one injury prone player in recent memory.  They hang around because clubs won’t buy them usually until their contract runs out.  We are also pretty strict in refusing to sell players under their value anyway.

54 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Because we’ve got a long history of selling players due to their injury record under their value.  He signed a new contract 12 months ago keeping him here until 2024.  He could get injured for the whole of this season tomorrow and he wouldn’t be going anywhere.

You don’t just snap your fingers and players disappear.  I think other than Ings we haven’t sold one injury prone player in recent memory.  They hang around because clubs won’t buy them usually until their contract runs out.  We are also pretty strict in refusing to sell players under their value anyway.

Well we will just have to buy anyway then as we can't have just two senior centre halves capable of playing any decent number of games a season.

23 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Expect a couple of "Nat Phillips/Billy Koumetio/Rhys Williams can save Liverpool millions" articles from the Echo until January.

Just seen this. You joke, and I also find these kinds of articles annoying, but the Koumetio thing seems like a genuine, eventual, but obviously quite hopeful van Dijk succession plan from the club.

It's no coincidence he's been fast tracked a bit out of nowhere and it's probably because he's a physically massive, athletic, left sided centre half. The club probably feel if the stars align, he'll be van Dijk junior. Be nice for this season if he was 20 instead of 17 though, cause it's obviously too early to throw him in the fire.

51 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just seen this. You joke, and I also find these kinds of articles annoying, but the Koumetio thing seems like a genuine, eventual, but obviously quite hopeful van Dijk succession plan from the club.

It's no coincidence he's been fast tracked a bit out of nowhere and it's probably because he's a physically massive, athletic, left sided centre half. The club probably feel if the stars align, he'll be van Dijk junior. Be nice for this season if he was 20 instead of 17 though, cause it's obviously too early to throw him in the fire.

think the saying goes if he is good enough he is old enough 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

What are you basing the bold bit on? 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What are you basing the bold bit on? 

Got fast-tracked to the first team picture this summer out of nowhere ahead of the likes of van Den Berg who we paid a couple million for. And I think the reason is because he has the size, the physical quality that the club think they can mold into someone dominant. And left footed, so left sided like van Dijk. But he's only 17 so it's a long term thing.

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Got fast-tracked to the first team picture this summer out of nowhere ahead of the likes of van Den Berg who we paid a couple million for. And I think the reason is because he has the size, the physical quality that the club think they can mold into someone dominant. And left footed, so left sided like van Dijk. But he's only 17 so it's a long term thing.

I reckon he got fast tracked because we'd been leaking we were buying a centre back, klopp had said we have a problem in that position and when it looked like we couldn't sell enough to finance it, so we need to illustrate we had a plan for good PR reasons, so we fast tracked a kid nobody has ever heard of whos giant because most people have seem enough of SVDB already to know if he's that answer, nobody wants to know the question. I reckon Gini or Henderson will play more games at centre back this season than billy the kid. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon he got fast tracked because we'd been leaking we were buying a centre back, klopp had said we have a problem in that position and when it looked like we couldn't sell enough to finance it, so we need to illustrate we had a plan for good PR reasons, so we fast tracked a kid nobody has ever heard of whos giant because most people have seem enough of SVDB already to know if he's that answer, nobody wants to know the question. I reckon Gini or Henderson will play more games at centre back this season than billy the kid. 

Of course you would think they would fast track a kid because it's good PR, what was I thinking. Personally, I'll go with Klopp thinks his physicality is interesting instead of it being some master plan by the club publicist to cover for us not signing a CB.

And obviously he won't play this season he's 17. No 17 year old's play centre back in England.

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Of course you would think they would fast track a kid because it's good PR, what was I thinking. Personally, I'll go with Klopp thinks his physicality is interesting instead of it being some master plan by the club publicist to cover for us not signing a CB.

And obviously he won't play this season he's 17. No 17 year old's play centre back in England.

So why did you feel the need to call his hype genuine? Are you suggesting the club creates hype that isn't genuine? We do it all the time, it's like hoever, he got fast tracked, hyped (as cover for Trent) and then sold because he's just another conveyor belt kid there to bring us in a few quid and keep the excuses around about why we don't want to buy anyone because it will block the path of shergars sperm. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So why did you feel the need to call his hype genuine? Are you suggesting the club creates hype that isn't genuine? We do it all the time, it's like hoever, he got fast tracked, hyped (as cover for Trent) and then sold because he's just another conveyor belt kid there to bring us in a few quid and keep the excuses around about why we don't want to buy anyone because it will block the path of shergars sperm. 

I said I think they see something in him and if the stars align, he could be somebody because he looks like he has some great attributes. That's it.

This is the Premier League and Liverpool a hard league and top club, not the Eredivisie where 17 year old CB's get the chance to play 30 games a year. You weren't duped by the club if he's fast tracked to the first team to train but doesn't immediately get a game.

And these are kids. The great majority of them fail for whatever reason. Just because some of them do, doesn't mean the hype or excitement around them was some cynical PR exercise to make up for the lack of signings. Like, why does that even need to be explained? 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said I think they see something in him and if the stars align, he could be somebody because he looks like he has some great attributes. That's it.

This is the Premier League and Liverpool a hard league and top club, not the Eredivisie where 17 year old CB's get the chance to play 30 games a year. You weren't duped by the club if he's fast tracked to the first team to train but doesn't immediately get a game.

And these are kids. The great majority of them fail for whatever reason. Just because some of them do, doesn't mean the hype or excitement around them was some cynical PR exercise to make up for the lack of signings. Like, why does that even need to be explained? 

So back to what I asked you originally, I don't get what you've seen in him though. I've watched every minute. He's big. It's been hard to tell if he has any football talent aside from being big. And the rest is hype. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp said we had "a problem in that position" meaning for that one pre-season game, not as a whole.  As his plan all along was to use Fabinho as fourth choice with an extra addition to the midfield group in Thiago to make that more possible and still give his favourites a decent amount of playing time.

Really silly that people keep using that as some sort of "gotcha".

Agree that Koumetio will play 0 games at centre back this season.  

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

You think Klopp is messing with the first-team training and recruiting as part of a PR game?

The same Klopp who famously ignores the fans' and media's hype over signings to constantly talk about how his job is to get the best out of the team he has?

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You think Klopp is messing with the first-team training and recruiting as part of a PR game?

The same Klopp who famously ignores the fans' and media's hype over signings to constantly talk about how his job is to get the best out of the team he has?

I think klopp is absolutely on board with the idea he funds his 1st team purchases by inflating the profile of no marks who will never be good enough to pay for us. We've got 5 years of watching it, it's really obvious it's part of the game. And he is the most PR savvy manager in football. 

• Upvote 1