You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa 7 Liverpool 2 (Oct 4 2020)

tlw content

8 hours ago, piphomer said:

I've finally had to give up defending Bobby to my Spurs-supporting mates now. I had to concede last night that he brings nothing to the team currently.

Same! I remember saying a while back that Kane wouldn't get in our team ahead of him, but Kane is now playing his role better, and is obliviously way more clinical. 

If they can get Bale fit and firing, they will be a nightmare to play against. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Same! I remember saying a while back that Kane wouldn't get in our team ahead of him, but Kane is now playing his role better, and is obliviously way more clinical. 

If they can get Bale fit and firing, they will be a nightmare to play against. 

Yeah, to be fair to Mou Mou, he's concocting some decent stuff right now. Kane playing deeper than Son. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think if you worked in an office and two co-workers tested positive for covid within a week it would have an effect on your concentration levels and ability to work properly. It would affect everyone in the office worrying about whether they caught it or are they passing it on to their families. It must have been like that for the players last week, it wouldn't help with preparations for a football match, when you add in missing four key players it's bound to have an effect. Having said that we should never be conceding seven goals to anyone.

• Upvote 2

Good write up to an utter embarrassment of a match.

I only saw highlights of the Stoke game but thought at the time that that has to be the worst I'd ever see from any Liverpool side in my lifetime.

Wrong.

It's made absolutely incomprehensible because this is one of the best Liverpool sides I've ever seen.

Aston fucking Villa. My God, there is just no explanation. 

• Upvote 3

Everything has been said about the result and the performance, all agreed with, not least the fact it doesn't happen with Hendo on the pitch.

But I think, even if we'd been beaten 15-1, nothing would stop me howling with laughter at the description of Barkley, 'the breeze block headed cunt'

As @allesistgut may put it 'Top, top breeze-block headed cunt analysis there, Dave'

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dave u said:

Yeah that was the only difference between yesterday and Monday. Nothing else.

A shit keeper has a massive effect on a teams mentality. This team will not have forgiven him for the champions league. 

Adrian is the shittest keeper we've ever had and no surprise this is the worst result in our history with him in the team. 

Adrian actually made a couple of decent saves and no way is he as bad as karius, a player so bad he actually caused a coup in Turkey. 

He's a poor keeper, but it's letting the rest off lightly to just saddle him with all the blame. Midfield and defence were shite as was Bobby.

Results like this come up now and again with good sides, maybe not this bad but performances where you just get battered because it's gone to your head. That's why they always say winning a league is one thing, and retaining it is something else.

We need to see something from them in the derby and that will tell you what kind of lads these are, and I think they will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

22 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I don't think it was a penalty, as McGinn had the ball in playing distance, so he's allowed to shield it. 

Good report.

Bizarre.

I know what you mean, but how many times have we seen a striker just use his body to roll a defender that has over committed only to see a foul given against him?

In fairness to Martin Atkinson, one of our players did exactly that and I was just waiting for him to give a foul (all the Villa players appealed), but he didn't. So at least he was consistent.

I think the McGinn one was a little bit more than that anyway though. He stepped right across and tripped Salah, who was probably going to nick the ball off him. So that was a pen for me, even though I needed to see if from a third angle until I was sure.

So it wasn't Atkinson who I'd point the finger at there, it was VAR.

I should point out that I don't feel aggrieved about it and none of this in any way excuses the result and performance.

I do think it was a pen though.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Grealish would be a dream for our commercial team. 

Millions of fans buying aged 7 to 8 shorts and socks to emulate their plucked-eyebrowed hero. 

Like my mum said when he crashed his car after breaking the lockdown rules a few months ago.

"Doesn't surprise me. You can tell by the way he wears his socks he has no respect for the law".

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

A shit keeper has a massive effect on a teams mentality. This team will not have forgiven him for the champions league. 

Adrian is the shittest keeper we've ever had and no surprise this is the worst result in our history with him in the team. 

If that's the case (and it isn't) then it says far more about the rest of the players than it does Adrian.

You're insulting them massively if you think they'd just fall to pieces like that because they "haven't forgiven" Adrian.

11 hours ago, Gav said:

Its time to put up or shut up on Kelleher , he can't do any worse than Adrian

He could defo do worse. I'm not saying he would, but I wouldn't be shocked.

He is very good with his feet though, but then that in itself might cause a problem as he's likely to take more risks.

I don't think there's any chance Adrian will be dropped, but if he was he could have no complaints at all.

What's Andy Longergan up to? Sat at home polishing all his medals probably.

• Upvote 1

I thought Adrian did very well last season and well deserved his winners medal - he played his part in the league win and the uefa super cup.

But then the Champions League and FA Cup he absolutely ballsed up, and now this.

It's hard to square that circle. Is he a shit goalie who had a good run of form? Or a good goalie who's made some mistakes? Or maybe he's just something in-between - a decent goalie who does good things and bad things. 

The quality of goalies across the league isn't great, to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dave u said:

He could defo do worse. I'm not saying he would, but I wouldn't be shocked.

He is very good with his feet though, but then that in itself might cause a problem as he's likely to take more risks.

I don't think there's any chance Adrian will be dropped, but if he was he could have no complaints at all.

What's Andy Longergan up to? Sat at home polishing all his medals probably.

I agree, Kelleher, very good with feet, but I prefer the basics, good in the air, decent shot stopper and vocal. At times when i see Kelleher in the net he seems very small, positioning ok but he just doesn't dominate the goal.

Think it would be madness to drop Adrian based on that mistake, could understand Madrid game, but not that...if we were dropping based on that performance we would have to bring in the reserves as there were so many shocking performances. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Adrian has had more good games than bad games for us.

That's subjective. I'd say it's closer to 50/50.

He's had games when he's fucked up but it didn't cost us, so that is easier to forget.

Plus, that's not really the highest of bars you're setting there Stringy! 

He's a professional footballer, he should have far more good games than bad.

• dave u unpinned this topic