You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We need a new GK, Adrian is worse than useless.

Code

21 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Positioning is by far his biggest flaw. It was on show just now on the BBC highlights with the late chance for Watkins that hit the bar. Adrian had moved out towards the far post to collect a cross that was never landing there, leaving the entire goal gaping. He just didn't read it at all.

His positioning is horrible, but many other aspects are equally bad. 

The save he made from Barkley’s shot from a narrow angle was pure luck. He left his near post completely open, only left his foot behind. You wont find a more basic error than that. Shot stopping doesnt exist, distribution with hands and feet is awful, cannot catch crosses, dont think he can punch them either. His best part is probably 1v1 situations, I reckon he is average to weak on those.

The mistakes Adrian makes are just unfathomable. How is he a professional 'keeper earning thousands a week, let alone number 2 for the champions? I get that we can't have a world class goalie as a backup to Allison, but how hard is it to find a 'keeper who doesn't make these stupid errors? Fucking hell, being a goalie isn't rocket science or particularly complicated. 

Just now, aRdja said:

We should’ve kept Mignolet IMO, as he was a decent shot stopper for us. Adrian isn’t fantastic, but this is a bit of a red herring IMO. We would’ve still got hammered with Alisson in goal tonight.

Agree that Mig is way better than Adrian, disagree that we'd have got hammered with Allison in goal. We'd still have lost but not by that ridiculous margin!

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We should’ve kept Mignolet IMO, as he was a decent shot stopper for us. Adrian isn’t a good goalkeeper, but this is a bit of a red herring IMO. We would’ve still got hammered with Alisson in goal tonight.

It would have been a totally different game without that first mistake and goal.

• Upvote 1

Well the question was who would want to sign for us just to sit on the bench getting splinters for an entire season, but looking at Alissons injury record, any signing would get at least 10-20 games a season with us. 

Doesn't need to be world class, but maybe one that used to be decent a few years back but has fallen out of favour. Like when Bayern had Reina as backup, or PSG getting buffon. 

Or maybe just throw a bit of money at Chelsea for Kepa and let acterberg work his magic. 

30 minutes ago, aws said:

I've always thought we should be looking for an experienced keeper in his 30s who's played hundreds of games in the leagues and who wouldn't be brilliant but won't shit his krcks if called upon. 

And even if he isn't playing, at least he'd be able to bring some experience and knowledge to the training field, which should improve Alisson a bit. 

I'm sure we can improve on Adrian as second choice keeper but don't expect it to be anyone who doesn't make regular mistakes.  Many first choice PL keepers make at least one howler a match, so how do we expect to find a second choice better than many team's first choice?

I've been quite loathe to bag him (and even Karius!) in the past, as I reckon he stood in pretty well for Alisson at the start of last term.

And you can't blame a keeper for 7 goals, but on the first and last ones, I'll concede he's not up to it... that first was a bit of an "Atlético" all over again.

The mistakes are repetitive now.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

I've been quite loathe to bag him (and even Karius!) in the past, as I reckon he stood in pretty well for Alisson at the start of last term.

And you can't blame a keeper for 7 goals, but on the first and last ones, I'll concede he's not up to it... that first was a bit of an "Atlético" all over again.

The mistakes are repetitive now.

The issue is, that first goal genuinely changes the entire complex of the game. I also think he generally makes the back line uncertain.

• Upvote 1