You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Jamie Carragher

Anubis

1 hour ago, No2 said:

What the fuck as arrogance got to do with anything? The Co-commenators job has always been to offer insight and descriptions on key moments. He just talks (whinges) through the entire game, he doesn't stop and he's fucking tiresome. He's grand in the studio but pitch side he's a horrible bore.

He was spot on tonight so stick that up your fucking hoop. 

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, No2 said:

What the fuck as arrogance got to do with anything? The Co-commenators job has always been to offer insight and descriptions on key moments. He just talks (whinges) through the entire game, he doesn't stop and he's fucking tiresome. He's grand in the studio but pitch side he's a horrible bore.

For what its worth I'd wager a fair amount you know a lot more about football than Jamie Carragher. Great athlete; absolutely thick-as-two-short-planks individual. Limited vocabulary, 'benefit-of-hindsight' analysis style, extremely scant on incisive predictions. He'd no doubt be ripped limb from limb in management, Garry Neville-style. Would be on the Paul Merson spectrum if 10 years older. Merson, for his crimes, at least tried the management gig. Is Carragher one of the very few "senior" pundits to have completely and utterly swerved it?

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

For what its worth I'd wager a fair amount you know a lot more about football than Jamie Carragher. Great athlete; absolutely thick-as-two-short-planks individual. He'd no doubt be ripped limb from limb in management, Garry Neville-style. Would be on the Paul Merson spectrum if 10 years older. Merson, for his crimes, at least tried the management gig. Is Carragher one of the very few "senior" pundits to have completely and utterly swerved it?

Jesus fucking christ. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K

Tuesday 29th September (post fixture-3): "To respond with the performances [Liverpool] have done against two of their top-six rivals, I just think it sends out a major message these last two games that Liverpool are going to take some stopping."

Sunday 4th October (post fixture-4): "For me, even though Liverpool have good defensive record, I don’t like it and I don’t agree with it, the way they are trying to catch people offside. I don’t like that as a defender, I’ve been in this position myself. This team play a lot higher up the pitch and almost sacrifice one big chance a game with the opposition going through on goal."

Oh, to have a mind of no conviction.

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

For what its worth I'd wager a fair amount you know a lot more about football than Jamie Carragher. Great athlete; absolutely thick-as-two-short-planks individual. Limited vocabulary, 'benefit-of-hindsight' analysis style, extremely scant on incisive predictions. He'd no doubt be ripped limb from limb in management, Garry Neville-style. Would be on the Paul Merson spectrum if 10 years older. Merson, for his crimes, at least tried the management gig. Is Carragher one of the very few "senior" pundits to have completely and utterly swerved it?

Rubbish!

He loves LFC. He is one of us. He has to show a degree of impartiality.

He does add insightful comments and strong opinion on tactics, as a pundit should. With the other stuff - we got beat 7-2 - he didn't say anything that we weren't thinking.

Thank goodness it was him and not Neville.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

I know you frequent these forums occasionally, or used to, so if you read this, then may I politely ask you to fuck off and not co-commentate on any of our games. Sorry, but I just can’t listen to you any more. You’ve annoyed me more than the scoreline. Ta.

Agreed , proper annoying cunt

6 hours ago, Alex_K said:

I think 'knowing' the game and 'communicating' what you know about the game are two different things. I think both Carragher and Neville are quite good when explaining things in the studio in retrospect but the whole co-commentator role is just to waffle on besides a commentator endlessly with hyperbolic statements and it's thankless and annoying task.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think 'knowing' the game and 'communicating' what you know about the game are two different things. I think both Carragher and Neville are quite good when explaining things in the studio in retrospect but the whole co-commentator role is just to waffle on besides a commentator endlessly with hyperbolic statements and it's thankless and annoying task.

Much of what they say in terms of premeditated analysis is fed to them of course, I don't think everybody understands that. They don't turn up and ad lib. They have a team of researchers structuring the discussions. The depth of their thought is revealed when they get pulled into open discussions.

Souness is by a very long way the most managerially accomplished of the bunch, which probably says something. There is an absolute dearth of pedigree when it comes to analysis. To be honest says more about the audience, and their enjoyments of rent-a-gobs like Carragher that Sky persist with it.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Much of what they say in terms of premeditated analysis is fed to them of course, I don't think everybody understands that. They don't turn up and ad lib. They have a team of researchers structuring the discussions. The depth of their thought is revealed when they get pulled into open discussions.

Souness is by a very long way the most managerially accomplished of the bunch, which probably says something. There is an absolute dearth of pedigree when it comes to analysis. To be honest says more about the audience, and their enjoyments of rent-a-gobs like Carragher that Sky persist with it.

Rent-a-gob? Jamie Carragher is just doing the job he is paid to do. 

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Carragher is immensely unlikeable. Separate his play for the club with what kind of person he is. He's fucking annoying and he's a bit of a scum bag. Not really arguable. 

Why, in your opinion, is Jamie Carragher immensely unlikeable? The spitting thing? Other reasons? Spitting is unacceptable, but people can lose their heads and act irrationally in the heat of the moment. Other than that and the coin throwing incident, the best part of two decades ago, I can’t think of anything that suggests he is a bit of a scum bag. Far from it.

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Rent-a-gob? Jamie Carragher is just doing the job he is paid to do. 

Its tabloid-punditry. There is no considered tone. If he's paid to be a tabloid pundit, fine, but then let's not critique him as anything otherwise? I mean, look a few posts up the page. In less than a week the analysis oscillated from "Liverpool are going to take some stopping" to sentiment to the effect of "I never did care for that high line Liverpool play & trying to play an offside trap". The style of football that did, of course, consecutively generate the two greatest points totals in history.

There is room to have a conversation about the strength of Klopp's way of football being intensely systems-based (maybe more so than any other league manager ever?) being open to vulnerabilities when multiple players in the system are out. But that would require some considered thought so they're not going to go near that.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Its tabloid-punditry. There is no considered tone. If he's paid to be a tabloid pundit, fine, but then let's not critique him as anything otherwise? I mean, look a few posts up the page. In less than a week the analysis oscillated from "Liverpool are going to take some stopping" to sentiment to the effect of "I never did care for that high line Liverpool play & trying to play an offside trap". The style of football that did, of course, consecutively generate the two greatest points totals in history.

There is room to have a conversation about the strength of Klopp's way of football being intensely systems-based (maybe more so than any other league manager ever?) being open to vulnerabilities when multiple players in the system are out. But that would require some considered thought so they're not going to go near that.

It’s Sky Sports, what do you expect?

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Why, in your opinion, is Jamie Carragher immensely unlikeable? The spitting thing? Other reasons? Spitting is unacceptable but people can lose their heads and act irrationally in the heat of the moment. Other than that and the coin throwing incident, the best part of two decades ago, I can’t think of anything that suggests he is a bit of a scum bag. Far from it.

"Jamie Carragher brands Fulham chief Tony Khan a ‘clown’ and tells him to ‘shut his mouth’"

This is in the last week. Presumably someone he's never met? He just comes across as a poorly mannered thug. He's paid to be a hyperbolic pastiche of someone from Liverpool playing up to all the worst publicly-held stereotypes. That's what Sky get from him and that's the role he's happy to play.

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It’s Sky Sports, what do you expect?

Nothing! But Carragher sits squarely in the mud with them. That's the point. Got far more time for the likes of Michael Thomas to be honest who had brief affiliations with the club but are reasoned in their outlook & comments than someone making a dime from whipping up hysteria. Would love to see Carragher step foot near management - at least Neville gave it a go.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

"Jamie Carragher brands Fulham chief Tony Khan a ‘clown’ and tells him to ‘shut his mouth’"

This is in the last week. Presumably someone he's never met? He just comes across as a poorly mannered thug. He's paid to be a hyperbolic pastiche of someone from Liverpool playing up to all the worst publicly-held stereotypes. That's what Sky get from him and that's the role he's happy to play.

I’ve no idea if Jamie Carragher has met Tony Khan.

I disagree that he comes across as a thug and plays up to publicly-held stereotypes, whatever they might be. As i said, spitting is unacceptable, but people can and do act irrationally in the heat of the moment. In my experience, Jamie Carragher is well liked and respected in Liverpool. 

Guest Alex_K
8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve no idea if Jamie Carragher has met Tony Khan.

I disagree that he comes across as a thug and plays up to publicly-held stereotypes, whatever they might be. As i said, spitting is unacceptable, but people can and do act irrationally in the heat of the moment. In my experience, Jamie Carragher is well liked and respected in Liverpool. 

Up to people to make their own conclusions on his views + ways of behaviour. Personally I find him vulgar & utterly classless with views that will sway in the wind and change on a dime. For being "one of us" was also no-where to be seen when H&G pillaged the club. Got a nice & completely unnecessary contract extension when Hodgson came in. To each their own.

43 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Why, in your opinion, is Jamie Carragher immensely unlikeable? The spitting thing? Other reasons? Spitting is unacceptable, but people can lose their heads and act irrationally in the heat of the moment. Other than that and the coin throwing incident, the best part of two decades ago, I can’t think of anything that suggests he is a bit of a scum bag. Far from it.

The not debatable part, I shouldn't have said. Liking or not liking someone is subjective. That said, yeah the spitting thing, I think he's comes across as a "banter merchant", a bully. And then his football analysis boils down to trying to make it seem like he's so unbiased against Liverpool that he ends up talking complete nonsense about the club, and that there's only one way to play football. He's been saying for a while he doesn't like offside traps and playing a high line for years purely because he could have never played in such a system. That's not analysis, we've won trophies doing exactly that.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

carragher has been crying about our line being too high for as long as i can remember. it's really easy to take some selective quotes to make it look like he hasn't, but he was saying right through the last 2 years when we've barely lost a game. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Tuesday 29th September (post fixture-3): "To respond with the performances [Liverpool] have done against two of their top-six rivals, I just think it sends out a major message these last two games that Liverpool are going to take some stopping."

Sunday 4th October (post fixture-4): "For me, even though Liverpool have good defensive record, I don’t like it and I don’t agree with it, the way they are trying to catch people offside. I don’t like that as a defender, I’ve been in this position myself. This team play a lot higher up the pitch and almost sacrifice one big chance a game with the opposition going through on goal."

Oh, to have a mind of no conviction.

Thats the shittest post I've seen today and considering we lost 7:2 last night that takes some going. 

Jamie Carragher who played 508 games for Liverpool in defence and won 38 England caps (Winning 2 FA Cups, 3 league cups a Uefa cup, a super cup and the Champions League) comments that he doesn't like defences who play the offside trap, has never liked it as a player either whist watching a team concede 7 fucking goals playing with a high line somehow makes him a cunt? Fuck right off. It's his job to give his opinion and last night he was spot on. 

• Upvote 1