You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (A) - Premier League - 17/10/20 - 12:30

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

What are the news on Thiago?

Fuck me, how can this be allowed to continue? Every time we play them they deliberately go out to cause serious injuries.

Mina elbowed Mane in the head before the actual red card.  I think it was Keane in the first half flew out with a waist high kick from a mile away and only just missed one of our players on our right side.  Scum team.

The worst thing about this is Everton will inevitably be complimented because the game was competitive, when it absolutely shouldn't have been. Individually, Allan, James and Calvert-Lewin should be praised, but Ancelotti and Everton deserve nothing positive to be said about them collectively. They were mediocre, dirty and were saved by horrendous officiating multiple times. 

On our end, Mane and Salah both good, Thiago a breath of fresh air and Matip and Henderson solid. All I feel like saying

2 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Richarlison needs to be taken apart next time we play. What I'd give to have Gerrard or Carra in the team next time we play these cunts.

Carra haha Luis Garcia had more about him unless it involved throwing coins or spitting at the general public.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, niallers said:

, that's a fucking horrendous decision. He's level, if not just on. Where are they getting the lines from

That’s the problem with this bullshit var though, there no longer is “level” there’s one pixel onside or one pixel offside, based on a drawing that is less than one pixel accurate.

you show that still image to a million footballers and football fans, and all 1 million of them instinctively say it’s onside.

since the law came in, there’s been an acceptance that level is onside and the benefit of the doubt goes generally to the attacker. he didn’t look offside in real time, nor in the slow mo replay, and not even in the still.

until some prick draws a line from an arbitrary point on his body, against a line drawn from a similarly arbitrary point of another players body.

while the tech itself may not have much of a tolerance (the line were shown is apparently thicker than the line used to determine the decusion) there still exists a tolerance because it’s applied by human eye, against a still frame from live action.

id far rather VAR simply do one, but given that’s not ever going to happen it should include a +/- tolerance like umpires call in cricket.

VAR exists because of people who argue about football on Twitter. That’s the only reason. People who argue about footy on twitter are gobshites and should not influence my ability to watch the game.

A couple of years ago we had a similarly absurd decision go against firmino’s armpit, but at least that line was drawn from in his arm. This one is from halfway down manes elbow.

below are the two var decisions for important offsides today. Both have the line against our player drawn from outside the arm, which can’t be used to score.

if drawn from the shoulder or inside the arm both are found to be onside, and yet I look at both and can instinctively see that van dijk is offside and mane is on.

i don’t care that Mina’s (?) back foot is behind him, van dijk looks to be the most furthest forward player by about a bodies width, so he’s offside (Pickford should still have gone, mind, but no pen).

mane is onside by any definition. 

if anyone can argue he was offside, they don’t know what they’re watching and actively don’t want football to be a watchable sport.

im sure many evertonians will argue he was offside, but deep down they will know he wasn’t. 

6B37D0E2-A6AC-446B-8209-0C27B13C0B91.jpeg

5DD0B10D-6A49-4DD2-89B2-CDD1138A78B4.jpeg

This hurts me more than Villa. We were battered in that game. Today we were excellent against a good team.

Great that Joel is back. If we can get Ali back for the City game and Gomez can get a bit of confidence back then we might begin to look decent in defence again. Joel is quality. Just hope he doesn't pick up a knock because if we do we're fucked. Thank God Fabinho can play there.

God knows how long Thiago and Virgil are out for.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

Not what the lines show

But it's what the ref in the studio said.

I actually don't give a fuck about the technicalities of it to be honest - it's just fucked, and football is fucked.

And had we have got that decision down the other end (like I think we did against Wolves at Anfield last term), it's still fucked.

Hate it.  

Such a shame that such a good Liverpool side and manager as the last couple of seasons, should be overshadowed by football itself being so utterly fucked.

I actually made up my mind in the World Cup Final of 2018.  When Griezmann high-jumped over someone's boot and, from the resultant free kick (that should so obviously not been given on the replay - but was NOT subject to VAR of course), France scored.

Fucked.  Totally fucked.

Two horrendous challenges, only one given the card it deserved, but to be honest these kinds of challenges ruin the game as it can put entertaining players out of the game for months. The suspension should be much longer (at least 6 games, or perhaps the same length of time the injured player is out where the tackle was deemed reckless/serious foul play) to stop players putting this kind of potentially career-threatening foul in. They know what they're doing. It's really bad sportsmanship against a fellow professional and needs to be wiped out.

In terms of the game, from what I can see both the offside lines for the Liverpool players appeared to be drawn from the elbow, not the shoulder and given the very fine margins, it feels like both were also wrong. We'll get some decisions in our favour, but VAR is making the game worse, when it should have ahd a positive effect.