You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (A) - Premier League - 17/10/20 - 12:30

Bjornebye

Last season's corresponding fixture took place on the team's return to action after the lockdown. There'd been all sort of shit from various cunts about nulling and voiding the season because people had lost their lives to Covid-19. Of course their real (and barely disguised) reason was to try and deny us a league title we'd waiting so long for, and which we'd earned as conclusively as you could get. As it turned out, we'd already earned enough points pre-lockdown to clinch the title anyway. The match at Goodison was played in pre-season territory on the Summer Equinox, and was a drab affair between two sides who looked rusty after 3 months without playing. Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande were at number 1 in the charts with 'Rain On Me'. I can't say for certain that I've heard it because I don't listen to much new stuff, and all these female singers seem to feature with each other on songs that all sound the same anyway.

We don't need it to rain on us when we return to action. We need a massive dose of positivity after the disaster at Villa.

The best way to do that is to go back to a time when we completely dominated this fixture and obliterated them on their own patch. Of course I'm talking about the time Rushie scored four in November 1982. The greatest goalscorer in the club's history doing what he did best - banging a few goals past fellow Welsh international and goalkeeping legend Big Nev. Phenomenal attacking play, and a team right in their groove who would go on to claim the second of three successive league titles, and the third of four successive League Cups. It was Sir Bob's swansong season as manager.

Back then, songs seemed to stay top of the charts for a while instead of changing every week. At the time of the 5-0 thrashing, it was the turn of Culture Club with 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?' I don't think it's especially brilliant but it's deemed to be one of the songs of the 80s.

The players have already hurt us with their shambolic showing at Villa Park. Now they need to stew on it for a fortnight, gather themselves, and start treating every game with the same application and commitment that has characterised the team over the past couple of seasons. We know they can do it, but what we don't know is how much the Villa game will have affected them. Like Villa, Everton have improved upon last year. Unlike Villa, we don't need them to demonstrate.

• Upvote 2

Playing the high line and the press needs you to be switched on, teams get chances we normally get more. A top keeper is a necessity as proven by Alison in the league against Arsenal. You don’t go from best team in the league to worried shitless overnight. A few tweaks and a few arses kicked should suffice.