You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artists Tournament

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Elvis, Sinatra, Bowie and Prince for the finals (depending on the draw) for me. 

Songs, albums, impact, fame, record sales, vocal talent, musical talent, innovation, live reputation.

I'd argue Prince was the strongest in more of these categories overall.

Personally I'd go for Bowie, or Springsteen. Bruce doesn't seem to be particularly popular with some of the hipsters on the forum though.

Not a big Springsteen fan but he's good for sure

Apparently his new album is very good according to one critic I've just read. 

Don't forget there is also his iconic image, immediately recognizable and relatively easily imitable, which over time became part of popular culture. So it's not just that he was so beloved or great as such, this things can have an independent existance, feed themselves. 

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Don't forget there is also his iconic image, immediately recognizable and relatively easily imitable, which over time became part of popular culture. So it's not just that he was so beloved or great as such, this things can have an independent existance, feed themselves. 

More people have dressed up as Elvis than some of the fellas in the tournament have sold records.

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences but I first saw an Elvis impersonator in a pub just outside Woking years ago. They had an Elvis turn on the friday night. They hadn't done stuff like that before and Friday nights were normally boss in there anyway so a few of the locals were a bit pissed off. Anyway the fella kicks off in just jeans and a t-shirt singing usual karaoke songs and he was pretty shite. Not the worst in the world but certainly had people wondering what the fuck we were in for.

Anyway he went in the back, got changed and came out as Elvis and for about 2 hours he had the place up the wall. He was absolutely superb. Even the moodiest drinkers were dancing and singing. I've never seen a pub mood change for the good so quickly. I've never been an Elvis fan (I know he's great etc but I don't ever just put Elvis on or anything) but that was one of the best nights I've had in a pub. I can absolutely see why people love him so much. 

Haha tonight Matthew. 

Not one for Kareoke but sometimes you get someone who does a good turn and as you say they get the place jumping. 

The weirdest one was on Santa Monica pier, in some bar full of loons and this fella got up, in a belted white mac, and done Locomotive Breath and it was super, what a laugh we had in that one. 

• Upvote 1

Code was basically Jack Black in High Fidelity

high-fidelity-mixtape-2.gif

I bet he'd swap peoples purchases with stuff he likes. Poor cunts would get home expecting to have a few glasses of red with the new Sade album next thing Adam Ants telling them it's their money or their life. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, easytoslip said:

Haha tonight Matthew. 

Not one for Kareoke but sometimes you get someone who does a good turn and as you say they get the place jumping. 

The weirdest one was on Santa Monica pier, in some bar full of loons and this fella got up, in a belted white mac, and done Locomotive Breath and it was super, what a laugh we had in that one. 

Yeah lots of times its utter shit but done right its fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Haha tonight Matthew. 

Talking of Stars in their eyes