You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artists Tournament

Bjornebye

11 hours ago, El Diego said:

Just watching Prince on BBC4, is he in the running? Also forgot about Jj Cale

Yes JJ Cale, forgot about him myself, he made some boss albums, a great sound. 

I believe he was more popular over here than the States at one time? 

Troubadour was a must when you got a bird back for things. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

It's impossible to put into perspective how big Elvis was - (cue the fat guy jokes). 

The only close comparison would be Sinatra.

Elvis was great in the mid 50s to very early 60s with the Jordanairres, think that's spelt right? 

Didn't Lennon say Elvis died when he joined the Army? 

13 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Elvis was great in the mid 50s to very early 60s with the Jordanairres, think that's spelt right? 

Didn't Lennon say Elvis died when he joined the Army? 

Did some great stuff in the late 60's to early 70's as well mate. Check out  From Here to Memphis and The Essential 70's compilation. Had started to put out some decent stuff again just before his death too. 

His Gospel stuff was incredible in the mid to late 60's as well. He considered himself to be a gospel singer first and foremost, it was his big love. 

Lennon is wrong on this one.

13 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Did some great stuff in the late 60's to early 70's as well mate. Check out  From Here to Memphis and The Essential 70's compilation. Had started to put out some decent stuff again just before his death too. 

His Gospel stuff was incredible in the mid to late 60's as well. He considered himself to be a gospel singer first and foremost, it was his big love. 

Lennon is wrong on this one.

I believe so, I will have a look ta. I've only really seen that acoustic reunion with his band in 69 I think? And the odd Vegas shows and I'll bet they were great to watch. 

A bit of a stupid thing to say really. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I believe so, I will have a look ta. I've only really seen that acoustic reunion with his band in 69 I think? And the odd Vegas shows and I'll bet they were great to watch. 

A bit of a stupid thing to say really. 

68 mate. 

The early vegas shows in 69/70were the bollocks. There was a great doco-film made at the time on it called 'That's the way it is'.  You'll probably find it on YouTube. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, KMD7 said:

68 mate. 

The early vegas shows were the bollocks. There was a great doco-film made at the time on it called 'That's the way it is'.  You'll probably find it on YouTube. 

Second shout for that documentary, it's really good

• Upvote 1

Elvis, Sinatra, Bowie and Prince for the finals (depending on the draw) for me. 

Songs, albums, impact, fame, record sales, vocal talent, musical talent, innovation, live reputation.

I'd argue Prince was the strongest in more of these categories overall.

Personally I'd go for Bowie, or Springsteen. Bruce doesn't seem to be particularly popular with some of the hipsters on the forum though.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He wasn't just the biggest male singer or even biggest musical artist of his time.

He was the biggest celebrity in the world. By far.

Absolutely. The first proper rock star. His impact is immeasurable. The pressure on his shoulders must have been incredible. 

He didn't earn his nickname "The American Shakin Stevens" for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Absolutely. The first proper rock star. His impact is immeasurable. The pressure on his shoulders must have been incredible. 

He didn't earn his nickname "The American Shakin Stevens" for nothing. 

Yep. He certainly had a lot on his plate.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences but I first saw an Elvis impersonator in a pub just outside Woking years ago. They had an Elvis turn on the friday night. They hadn't done stuff like that before and Friday nights were normally boss in there anyway so a few of the locals were a bit pissed off. Anyway the fella kicks off in just jeans and a t-shirt singing usual karaoke songs and he was pretty shite. Not the worst in the world but certainly had people wondering what the fuck we were in for.

Anyway he went in the back, got changed and came out as Elvis and for about 2 hours he had the place up the wall. He was absolutely superb. Even the moodiest drinkers were dancing and singing. I've never seen a pub mood change for the good so quickly. I've never been an Elvis fan (I know he's great etc but I don't ever just put Elvis on or anything) but that was one of the best nights I've had in a pub. I can absolutely see why people love him so much. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences but I first saw an Elvis impersonator in a pub just outside Woking years ago. They had an Elvis turn on the friday night. They hadn't done stuff like that before and Friday nights were normally boss in there anyway so a few of the locals were a bit pissed off. Anyway the fella kicks off in just jeans and a t-shirt singing usual karaoke songs and he was pretty shite. Not the worst in the world but certainly had people wondering what the fuck we were in for.

Anyway he went in the back, got changed and came out as Elvis and for about 2 hours he had the place up the wall. He was absolutely superb. Even the moodiest drinkers were dancing and singing. I've never seen a pub mood change for the good so quickly. I've never been an Elvis fan (I know he's great etc but I don't ever just put Elvis on or anything) but that was one of the best nights I've had in a pub. I can absolutely see why people love him so much. 

Ha that's class.