You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artists Tournament

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Phil Collins is a drag, I can't think of a single tune I'd listen to, those cunts who used to imitate the drums when they came in on Something in the Air. 

I suppose he should be in the top 1000 somewhere. 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Phil Collins is fucking terrible. It's entertainment for people who don't like music. 

51 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I'm pretty sure it's my most hated music of all time. Horrible. 

SarcasticFatalHammerkop-small.gif

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Phil Collins is fucking superb ! His solo stuff is fantastic. 

Nah. Great drummer in a great band. Done his best as a lead singer but never really cut it. Solo shite couldn’t be arsed with.That said I’m an early genesis devotee so most things after Gabriel seemed weaker by comparison. Fair fucks to him nonetheless 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Not really - like a Key West/Island style - if you have been to a Tiki bar you have heard Jimmy Buffett.

Margaritaville, Changes in Latitudes etc...

Righto got you, an old mate of mine was into him, heard the first one of course but for some reason I thought he was a prolific songwriter too including some Country, might be getting mixed up with someone else though I'm sure he was in some music shop magazines our kid brought back from Nashville, maybe that's the reason I thought he was mainly Country. 

33 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Also all those Boy / Girl bands and plenty of others like Dizzy Ballbag and Co, I can't recall all their knob names but I don't suppose that counts as proper music, except if you under 15. 

They're er bands though so wrong thread, just ranting. 

Dizzy Ballbag and Co's first 4 albums were majestic, transcendental lullabies of the soul. When I listen I feel like a lightning bolt hit the tip of my penis. 

• Upvote 1

Sam Cooke

Little Richard

Hank Williams 

Van Morrison 

Nat King Cole

Ry Cooder

It's too hard to choose, thinking of a bluesman but which one? 

I'll probably think later of someone else. Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow just miss out though I do appreciate their outstanding contribution to music. 

That's my choice for the tournament anyway. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Some absolute class been chosen so far but a 64 male solo artists without Phil Collins is looking a real possibility. Wanker or not, him not being in it would be a travesty. 

Not a single person picked Jim Croce either 

No point putting Collins in because he'd lose in the first round against literally anyone else in the draw.

Now, if there really were a space going, then surely it belongs to the King of the Blues...

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No point putting Collins in because he'd lose in the first round against literally anyone else in the draw.

Now, if there really were a space going, then surely it belongs to the King of the Blues...

Would that be Robert Johnson? Muddy Waters? I wanted to pick one but didn't know who. 

If Hank is defined as a band I'll go for Buddy Holly as he left the Crickets and was the first to use horns I believe, if not just for influencing other artists. 

Ok so I needed 7 actually. 

5 have qualified with the most votes in the play off:

Weller (6)

Harrison (7)

Chuck berry (6)

Lou Reed (6)

Paul Simon (6) 

Meaning I need 2 from Scott Walker, Van Morrison and Louis Armstrong. 

25 minutes for you to decide. Pick two out of that 3. Most votes at 2pm go into the final 64. If it's a tie I will decide.