You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 0 (Oct 1 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

I’d be lying if I said I lost any sleep over this result but it is a little disappointing to go out, not least because it was to Arsenal. I think what bothers me most though is losing on penalties again. Hate that.

We seem to lose more shoot outs than we win these days and that’s annoying because we never used to lose any.

We should have won the game before that as we were better than Arsenal in both halves. The shot count reflects that, as does the fact that their man of the match was the keeper. We outplayed them but didn’t take our chances and that’s why we’re out.

But does it really matter that we’re out? For me, no not really. 

I’ve said before that the main reason I like this cup is because we get to see the kids and fringe players. It’s just something a little different and these games are usually fun because of that. For some that’s not enough. Some fans want to see us going flat out to win every competition we play in, but I just don’t see it that way anymore. It’s not realistic in this era.

Of course I wanted to win it but I wanted to win it with the kind of line up we field in the early rounds. I wouldn’t be at all in favour of risking senior players in these games when the fixture load is so intense, but it’s not just that. I want the squad players to see some action because it allows them to feel a part of things and you never know when they’re going to be needed.

For example, if we picked up a few injuries in midfield we now know we could just plug big Marko in there and he’d be sound. So that’s a benefit. We also need to keep the likes of Minamino and Neco sharp in case they’re needed, while any chance for us to get Jones out there can only be a good thing.

But going all out to win this cup is counter productive. Like it or not, the League Cup is not that important to us anymore because we’re at a level where the bigger prizes are within reach. If we were an Everton or a Newcastle who haven’t won shit for decades, then I’d be wanting to see us go balls out to win either of the domestic cups, even if it meant resting players in league games.

But we’re not Everton or Newcastle and the league games we have before and after these cup ties are more important. That’s just a fact. If that means we can’t win those cups then so be it.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t thrilled to see Mo in the team for this one because I’d rather he had been at home with his feet up preparing for Villa. With Virg it’s a little different as he doesn’t have to put as much mileage in and is less likely to pick up an injury though being kicked.

I actually kind of like the idea of Van Dijk playing when we have an inexperienced centre back like Rhys Williams (the same would apply is Sepp Van den Berg had played) because it makes life much easier for the kid. He’ll learn a lot more from playing alongside Van Dijk than he would without him. Williams must be absolutely buzzing having now played two first team games alongside his hero.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave and pretty much as I see it. Cant believe some of the comments from some regulars that Jurgen couldnt care less about this competition. He put a side out he thought was good enough to win and there's no way Jurgen does care less about games.

We've always prioritised competitions. When we were not league title contenders for much of the 90, 00, and 10s, the domestic cups and Europe were the priorities. It's no coincidence that teams who used to win the league during those years now look to the domestic cups for redemption. Not even city can put out teams on 4 fronts and they've only achived a treble once after all the money pumped into them since 2008 and they still cant crack Europe.

I really dont rate Leno as a top keeper. I thought most of the saves he made the other night were 'comfortable' for him. The one from Jota, I think that looped up andlooked to be going in was a class save though.

Arteta's a cunt mouthing off like he'd beaten the same side that punished him 3-1 on Monday. That was near enough his Europa League side and they only won this game on pens.

I really dont get why Wilson got a lot of negative comments, I thought his deliveries, penalty aside, were class. Jones is class but I still think he over complicated a couple of moves. Save the rabonas until we're 3 or 4 goals clear, eh?

Rhys Williams was solid but he doesnt look that mobile to me. Agree about Neco, he does tend to try and dribble in dangerous areas and get caught. Thought we looked a bit toothless upfront and there seemed little link up between Mo, Jota and Minamino. Still, very early days on that front.

Fine margins on the pens. Divock really should have put pressure on the next arsenal tker after Adrian's save. I try to bepositive about the players but Divock, fucking really? That attempt was piss poor, lad. I thought Adrian had kept that final pen out but it squirmed under him. Dont think anyone can blame him for that.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Top, top “worst super sub ever” analysis there, Dave. Not sure about ‘wanting to avoid cup-tying van den Berg’ though; the only side in the last eight whose back line could use him would be too embarrassed to loan a player from us...

I never even thought of that, I've still got it in my head that there's loads of teams left, probably because entered so late.

Origi quite rightly has been basking in the glory of last season but hasn't done anything since. Because of his glorious contributions then he was offered a contract and probably thinks he's safe now. Maybe he needs to go out on loan his performances have been half arsed so far. 

Reece Williams was really confident at the back, he's got the look of Virgil about him. Terrible hair do though. 

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Origi quite rightly has been basking in the glory of last season but hasn't done anything since. Because of his glorious contributions then he was offered a contract and probably thinks he's safe now. Maybe he needs to go out on loan his performances have been half arsed so far. 

Reece Williams was really confident at the back, he's got the look of Virgil about him. Terrible hair do though. 

Origi needed to be sold after his purple patch in Klopp's first season. The fact he ended up back here to score that 96th minute Derby winner was an alignment of the stars.

He was then involved in 3 of the most important goals in our history, and will rightly go down in history.

But aside form that aforementioned purple patch in 2015/16, he's never shown anything to suggest he's food enough at this level.

I forgot to mention in the report just how much I hate that Dani Ceballos cunt.

Got that Real Madrid stench about him where he thinks he's a Galactico because he's got Real on his CV. Doesn't seem to realise that if he was any good he wouldn't have ended up at Arsenal with all the other fancy Dan wasters. Arrogant wanker who isn't good enough to justify the way he struts about.

• Upvote 4

• dave u unpinned this topic