You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) Premier League - 4/10/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fuck off, Tony, you know-nothing cunt. Shouldn’t you be watching your 1986 Cup Final video on loop?

What Tony said!

But I do think the anachronistic cunt has a point about the nature of games this term... when the goals go in, they tend to go in big time, and it does make you wonder if it's the training ground feel that matches have about them.

I reckon the derby - with Everton hot, early Saturday kick-off, after an international break, uncertain and unsuitable time-frame to prepare, and traditionally a bit dodgy as we are after a lay-off - is an absolutely perfect test of our current mettle and credentials...

... in what is looking like a very weird season, maybe even weirder than last.

Obviously this is a disappointing result. At half time I thought we’d regroup and open them up to maybe a draw, after the initial shock, but no.

I dont think anyone is going to say that Citeh is not an effective team after shipping six or so. United neither.

we’ll put it behind us, and march on. There wont be a single team that doesn’t lose at least 3-4 games this season. That’s my five pence.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I still find it bizarre we kept playing the same way when it was clearly being exposed again and again. Learn during the game. 

That would be down to Klopp. Understand why fans don't want to criticize him however this loss and the scale of the loss is down to him as well as some players. The Derby was always a must win . Like it or not Everton are the form team in the league if we win it I will floss over last night as a blip. Draw or loss I will start to get concerned. 

I'm hoping that such a chastening defeat will give everyone including Klopp the kick up the backside we've needed since football returned.  We'd pretty much won the league already, didn't have to kick a ball to seal it & then produced some very lackadaisical performances which have carried on into this season. 

Clearly some of the players need dropping for a bit & Adrian needs to be replaced ASAP if Allison is going to be made of glass for the remainder of his career.  I also thought the days of losing a key player and becoming average (at best!!!) where behind us, but clearly losing Mane has affected us badly.  

Not writing this team off & the defense of the title after 4 games as we know what we can do. Yesterday was a very bad day at the office with a lot of poor performances. Very interested in seeing how we bounce back against an in form Everton. 

Just glad I didn't text my Manc mates to take the piss!

50 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

That would be down to Klopp. Understand why fans don't want to criticize him however this loss and the scale of the loss is down to him as well as some players.

His first two substitutions were shockers. Getting ripped to shreds and he brings on two lightweight, inexperienced attacking midfielders...

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm hoping that such a chastening defeat will give everyone including Klopp the kick up the backside we've needed since football returned.  We'd pretty much won the league already, didn't have to kick a ball to seal it & then produced some very lackadaisical performances which have carried on into this season. 

Clearly some of the players need dropping for a bit & Adrian needs to be replaced ASAP if Allison is going to be made of glass for the remainder of his career.  I also thought the days of losing a key player and becoming average (at best!!!) where behind us, but clearly losing Mane has affected us badly.  

Not writing this team off & the defense of the title after 4 games as we know what we can do. Yesterday was a very bad day at the office with a lot of poor performances. Very interested in seeing how we bounce back against an in form Everton. 

Just glad I didn't text my Manc mates to take the piss!

I made a point about a month ago that if you take out one key player like Alison or Van Dyke then we become incredibly vulnerable, no other team gets weakened so much like this. 

It could literally make us go from challenging for the title to struggling to qualify for top four. 

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Think counting dead rubbers is pushing it a touch....i am sure there are odd examples of course, but fact is today is not far off unprecedented stuff....it's just mad!

Dead rubbers? It was the beginning of the season, the season after they won the league.....when they blamed their grey kit. 

25 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I made a point about a month ago that if you take out one key player like Alison or Van Dyke then we become incredibly vulnerable, no other team gets weakened so much like this. 

It could literally make us go from challenging for the title to struggling to qualify for top four. 

Alisson, Henderson, and Mane badly missed from the spine of the team.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, angie said:

Dead rubbers? It was the beginning of the season, the season after they won the league.....when they blamed their grey kit. 

Ok - fair do's 

I remember the dicking they got at Southampton and the grey kit lark.

Reason i thought you were talking about different games and dead rubbers was because you got Soton score wrong, it was 6-3 not 5-2...but yeah they lost had lost 5-0 to Newcastle previous week.

Still does not change how rare/incredibly jarring such a result as yesterday is...our own worst result for 57 years and first time reigning champions conceded  7 for 67 years - quite incredible.

Our best XI in my mind, everybody available: 

Alisson

Trent

Virgil

Fabinho

Robbo

Thiago Alcântara 

Henderson

Wijnaldum

Salah

Jota/Minamino

Mane

Clearly Jota isn’t a fit for Firmino’s position, but Bobby looked like he was running in wet cement last night. He needs a while out of the team. 

Whatever about carefully selected stats, Keita is generally underwhelming. 

• Upvote 1

I don't get Klopps ambivalence to the likes of Bobby, 2nd rate goalkeepers etc  being out of form. Slightly arrogant to assume we can keep playing same way when all the cogs aren't functioning. Guess he has earned that. I am a hysterical fanny granted and I am concerned how some of his team's can implode for periods of time at this minute I am discarding this notion. 

On another point disappointed in VVD as a captain. I championed him to be ahead of Hendo . What I saw last night was not captaincy material. Imagine souness in his pomp. For one he would have identified grealish as the danger and given him the message then sorted out his own teammates. 

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Firmino was poor today, but is still instrumental to the way we set up. Need to put a few goals away, that part should improve, but even without that he’s a key player for us. 6 days since we absolutely steamrolled Arsenal.

He’s not.  As I said, I wouldn’t care if he didn’t score if he was making significant contributions elsewhere

• Upvote 2