You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) Premier League - 4/10/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, angie said:

After man utd won the league they got beat 5-0 by Newcastle and beat 5-2 by Southampton the week after.

Think counting dead rubbers is pushing it a touch....i am sure there are odd examples of course, but fact is today is not far off unprecedented stuff....it's just mad!

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sort of get a lot of that, but it is the sheer scale of the defeat today that leaves deep worries for me....how many times for example in PL history has a team let in 7 - it is an unreal dicking.

It wasn't like getting dicked 5 away at Man City with 10 men, this is up there with the worst beatings any team has suffered in the league and that is not so easy to just put down to a 'bad day at the office' - this is on another level....this is the champions losing in a humiliating fashion to a team who will struggle to finish top half.

It isn't Watford last season (as bad as that was) it isn't even that shite day at Hull with Bogdan a few years ago....it is much, much worse than that - it is even worse than the capitulation at Stoke - that was a totally dead rubber.

I can for example only recall us scoring 7 maybe once in league in last 30 years (Soton at home) since the 9 v Palace that is how rare scoring 7 is....I honestly can't remember in 40 years plus of supporting us letting in 7 - that is the magnitude of this.

All that said though this side have been incredible for last 2 years and have a lot of credit in bank, so as bad as this is and as much as it hurts we should believe they will be desperate to and are able to put this right - Klopp will hopefully identify what is wrong, he will hopefully sort out one or two attitudes/issues with being too casual/switched off and we'll bounce back.

I do think we have some very hard work to do and some soul searching - i trust us to get it right, but today this feels bad.

I agree with you. It does feel off but these things take time to rectify. Just like it took him 2 years to get a settled plan and team, I think he needs to do it again and knows it. So Thiago might be the key but he hasn't played. Plus bad luck with injuries is a factor. 

A striker, playmaker and defender were the obvious areas we all recognised needed strengthening last summer. That was tackled somewhat under the current constraints. So Klopp clearly recognises that. I see people shouting for a new back up keeper. But who is available on decent wages with decent quality? It just doesn't happen. Bad luck is what happened to Alisson. You can't cover bad luck no matter how much you try. It's easy to panic when results like this happen. But our first team all fit demolishes everyone. So let's look forward to that and think of the whole season, and not just the odd shit result. 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Think counting dead rubbers is pushing it a touch....i am sure there are odd examples of course, but fact is today is not far off unprecedented stuff....it's just mad!

Barcelona lost a semi final 8-2 only 2 months ago.

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I agree with you. It does feel off but these things take time to rectify. Just like it took him 2 years to get a settled plan and team, I think he needs to do it again and knows it. So Thiago might be the key but he hasn't played. Plus bad luck with injuries is a factor. 

A striker, playmaker and defender were the obvious areas we all recognised needed strengthening last summer. That was tackled somewhat under the current constraints. So Klopp clearly recognises that. I see people shouting for a new back up keeper. But who is available on decent wages with decent quality? It just doesn't happen. Bad luck is what happened to Alisson. You can't cover bad luck no matter how much you try. It's easy to panic when results like this happen. But our first team all fit demolishes everyone. So let's look forward to that and think of the whole season, and not just the odd shit result. 

Yeah can't see Klopp going after a keeper it just isn't his way, he'll back Adrian - just hope he gets through next 6 weeks with as little damage as possible done.

A defeat is irritating when so used to winning, a defeat of this nature is a real stunner....just wish didn't have to wait 2 fucking weeks for chance to wash it away.

Wanna see us tear into the shite in two weeks!

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fuck’s sake, 7-2! 

Seen a little bit of Match of the Day the other weekend and thought the games, without any fans, were shite, almost like practice matches. I wonder if it affects the players psychologically. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were plenty of freak results this season.

Fuck off, Tony, you know-nothing cunt. Shouldn’t you be watching your 1986 Cup Final video on loop?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

That’s desperate straw clutching. We got beat 7.2. 

First of all I'm not straw clutching at all, we completely deserved to lose given the performance. It still should have been discussed though. If the situation was reversed you can guarantee it would have been. 

Second of all go and stick your patronising tone up your arse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derykw said:

With what shit? Have you ever seen us play worse?

We conceded about 20 goals after lock down and 11 in 4 so far this season.

I thinl we've got issues.

Yes we have a few issues, but you have a very short memory. The 6-1 defeat at Stoke was far, far worse.

We are Premier League champions and were missing a few crucial players tonight.

I'm not going to disguise the fact that we were shite, but lets get things into perspective.

6 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Yes we have issues, but you have a very short memory. The 6-1 defeat at Stoke was far, far worse.

We are Premier League champions and were missing a few crucial players tonight.

I'm not going to disguise the fact that we were shite, but lets get things into perspective.

We were a mid table team when we lost to Stoke in a last game of season dead rubber.

Reigning Champions shouldn't concede 7 goals in a meaningful match. And the scoreline flattered us.

Just now, derykw said:

We were a mid table team when we lost to Stoke in a last game of season dead rubber.

Reigning Champions shouldn't concede 7 goals in a meaningful match. And the scoreline flattered us.

No, it didn't, it was the opposite. It should have been closer. We were shit and deserved to lose but we had one major keeping error gifting them a goal, three deflected goals, another goal that looked to me me like it was offside (though I only saw it once), an absolutely blatant penalty not given. Believe me, I know how daft it is even debating this having been beaten 7-2 but there's no way the result flattered us. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Golden Eel said:

No, it didn't, it was the opposite. It should have been closer. We were shit and deserved to lose but we had one major keeping error gifting them a goal, three deflected goals, another goal that looked to me me like it was offside (though I only saw it once), an absolutely blatant penalty not given. Believe me, I know how daft it is even debating this having been beaten 7-2 but there's no way the result flattered us. 

Mate, Barkley missed 2 sitters and had 2 other presentable chances in the 1st half alone. Watkins missed a 1 on 1 and hit the bar and Milner slid in to deny someone else near the end. They looked like scoring every attack. It was a complete horror show.  I think we should just agree to disagree, bump elbows and move on.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, derykw said:

Mate, Barkley missed 2 sitters and had 2 other presentable chances in the 1st half alone. Watkins missed a 1 on 1 and hit the bar and Milner slid in to deny someone else near the end. They looked like scoring every attack. It was a complete horror show.  I think we should just agree to disagree, bump elbows and move on.

But that isn't balanced out by the numerous chances Liverpool created, especially in the first half? Their 2nd came against the run of play where Liverpool had 3 or 4 decent chances, as well as a penalty inexplicably not given. 

I agree Liverpool still weren't winning this, but fuck me, Villa got a healthy dose of luck today. 

• Upvote 1

The thing is how many times since that Watford game has Ali saved us or could you turn around and say our defence looks really good today? Not many games. To be fair, once the league was wrapped up last season, it felt like the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. 

This season, defensively we were very good against Chelsea, far from perfect against Arsenal, very poor against Leeds and well today was....

Gomez has been very poor in a lot of games recently. Virgil hasn't been himself either - he's still the best defender in the world. Keita is lightweight but can show moments of brilliance. Today, he was shocking. Gini is normally Mr Reliable. Today, he was crap. Bobby had an awful performance. Maybe 3 really good performances out there.

The one bright spot is that Jurgen will rip into them and the team has character in abundance. We'll be back.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The thing is how many times since that Watford game has Ali saved us or could you turn around and say our defence looks really good today? Not many games. To be fair, once the league was wrapped up last season, it felt like the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. 

This season, defensively we were very good against Chelsea, far from perfect against Arsenal, very poor against Leeds and well today was....

Gomez has been very poor in a lot of games recently. Virgil hasn't been himself either - he's still the best defender in the world. Keita is lightweight but can show moments of brilliance. Today, he was shocking. Gini is normally Mr Reliable. Today, he was crap. Bobby had an awful performance. Maybe 3 really good performances out there.

The one bright spot is that Jurgen will rip into them and the team has character in abundance. We'll be back.

Yeah, the Arsenal game was weird, first half other than the freak mistake leading to their goal I don't think they had a touch in our box, and it was hailed as a masterclass in football.

Second half we played well, but there was at least two 1v1s that Alisson saved, because our defence was in no man's land. 

Seems like teams have sussed out our high line a bit and are punishing us.

Luckily we have somebody in charge who is good at getting a step ahead of the competition tactically, and he's got a free fortnight to do his homework.

So it won't be long before we're back to our best

• Upvote 1