You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) Premier League - 4/10/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

If Firmino has to play then he has to be told to stay furthest forward for us. He’s a massive problem for us the way he drops back and constantly gives the ball away or fucks up another attack. Read an article saying Brazilian players have peaked by 27 and it looks like his best days are behind him now. Let’s get some decent money in and let his legs go on another teams watch.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This is a false argument. If you believe that, it means the players around him are psychologically weak and cannot cope.

And once again the idea being floated that's there's some back up keeper we can just go and get is stuff of dreams. They're back up because they have faults in their game.

We win as a team and lose as a team. And tonight, the team wasnt good enough by a long chalk.

Fair mostly, but surely nothing wrong with trying to get better back up for Alisson though is there?

Adrian is awful with his feet for starters and that is a massive problem for a keeper in our team.

There must be better more suitable back up warming a bench somewhere who will come and warm bench for the champions and maybe push Alisson or at least offer better cover when he is out.

A disaster waiting to happen given our high- line (or basically) no defending whereby the last defender finds himself in the opposition half. I wonder if Klopp recognizes it as such and tries to fix it, sooner than later, because we did not see any meaningful difference in the second half. Wasn't Villa one of three teams who beat us last season using similar counter-attacking tactics? The other problem of course is Adrian, right now I would take any reserve keeper over this guy.

Klopp got the tactics badly wrong. The high line was an accident waiting to happen and we never bothered to adjust our tactics as we went chasing the scoreline. 

The players let him down badly too. Arrogant and soft as fuck. Villa were far more aggressive all over the pitch. 

I love Virgil, but he went missing as a leader today. 

• Upvote 1

I used to let these type of things bother me. But it's all part of the game. Win some, lose some. Every team gets a hiding at some stage. We deserved that and will get another couple like it in all liklihood.

The stress and anxiety of watching the team over the last few years has been awful for me at times. Now we've won the lot recently I'm just enjoying the game as a spectacle now, even when we lose. There's more to be stressed about these days than footballers making a dick of themselves. People also forget that they're human and can have off days. Let it go. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago was an absolute necessity this summer. It's not gonna happen for Keita and Wijnaldum, for as good as he's been at times, was just so damn invisible. But yeah, Keita just shouldn't play. Gomez and Firmino are redeemable, Keita has shown nothing. 

With the exception of Adrian I think all the other players have shown they are more than good enough to avoid such a performance by some distance. Yes, a number of them are far from perfect, and the squad can still be improved upon. But with the exception of no2 goalkeeper the squad is better than ever.

This was a collective breakdown, possibly to some degree caused by the players knowing Adrian will fuck up at first opportunity.

Edit: Not only will he fuck up, he will also fail to save basic shots, fail in his positioning and make the wrong decisions with his distribution. 

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

If Firmino has to play then he has to be told to stay furthest forward for us. He’s a massive problem for us the way he drops back and constantly gives the ball away or fucks up another attack. Read an article saying Brazilian players have peaked by 27 and it looks like his best days are behind him now. Let’s get some decent money in and let his legs go on another teams watch.  

he doesn't have to play, but he does.  It's not like we can carry him any more

Just now, therevivalist said:

A disaster waiting to happen given our high- line (or basically) no defending whereby the last defender finds himself in the opposition half. I wonder if Klopp recognizes it as such and tries to fix it, sooner than later, because we did not see any meaningful difference in the second half. Wasn't Villa one of three teams who beat us last season using similar counter-attacking tactics? The other problem of course is Adrian, right now I would take any reserve keeper over this guy.

No.  We lost to Watford, City and Arsenal.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago was an absolute necessity this summer. It's not gonna happen for Keita and Wijnaldum, for as good as he's been at times, was just so damn invisible. But yeah, Keita just shouldn't play. Gomez and Firmino are redeemable, Keita has shown nothing. 

Think Bobby needs replacing been garbage since return to football from lockdown and i fooking love the fella but jesus he offers us nothing in front of goal and bizarrely some of his magic touches dont come off anymore

You've got to wonder whether the coronavirus scare has affected the squad. A performance like that is so unlike this team, even on a bad day. 

Hopefully that's the full quota of deflected goals against for the season too. Unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, derykw said:

Very droll.

Can you honestly say there's been a worse one.

I think as Bobby said earlier, its not even annoyance it got weird. terrible midfield and defence. First half we attacked well. Robbo and Jota looked boss. We've played a lot worse.  

11 minutes ago, derykw said:

You're kidding yourself of you think Villa scored with "virtually everything they hit" Barkley could of scored 4 himself in the first half (he deffo should of scored 2 of them) and Watkins was denied a 1 on 1 and hit the bar amongst others.

We we're atrocious and should've conceded double figures.

They had 14 shots, 8 on target, 7 went in.

We were still atrocious.

• Upvote 1

On 02/10/2020 at 16:40, Trumo said:

The entirely forgettable 'Pillowtalk' by Zayn was No1 at the time. I'm absolutely certain I'd never even heard it until I found the Youtube video to include here. More than any era previously, this era of downloads and streaming really does mean that any old shit ends up top of the charts.

Villa look to be a much-improved side from last season. They needed to improve their attack and they've done that. Whether they've got enough to threaten us, we'll see. If we are absolutely on it, fully committed, fully concentrated and full of creativity and incision, they will not live with us. Do what we do and we'll be alright.

If Trumo doesn't come up with something better than Zayn for the Everton thread then we're fucked.

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

he doesn't have to play, but he does.  It's not like we can carry him any more

Firmino was poor today, but is still instrumental to the way we set up. Need to put a few goals away, that part should improve, but even without that he’s a key player for us. 6 days since we absolutely steamrolled Arsenal.

Pressure is all on the bloos now.

Form team, best chance to beat us in decades in the league, we’ve had a mare against Villa, first choice goalkeeper will be missing.

Watch the back tracking start about Thursday.

By Saturday they’ll be nervous wrecks.

So will I be until the game is over.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

Been a long time since I was so angry about a performance like that, fucking livid, but my lad has just sent me a video of my 16 month old Grandson who has Downs Syndrome trying to copy his Dad whistling and giggling and smiling.

I melted.

Perspectives lads.

Fucking ace that mate.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fair mostly, but surely nothing wrong with trying to get better back up for Alisson though is there?

Adrian is awful with his feet for starters and that is a massive problem for a keeper in our team.

There must be better more suitable back up warming a bench somewhere who will come and warm bench for the champions and maybe push Alisson or at least offer better cover when he is out.

I agree he's poor at playing the ball with his feet. The obvious answer is to stop playing the ball back to him. The second thing is Jurgen tells him to stop fucking about when it is and just bang it long. Then again, people will say he's giving away possession but Id rather that that the poor goal he gifted tonight.

It's a difficult one though, isnt it? There's always someone better until the someone better drops a bollock.