You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) Premier League - 4/10/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Sometimes you need a kick up the arss. We've been riding our luck in a few games for a while, VVD has got cocky IMO, Fabinho been shite for about a year, Firminho is a striker that doesn't score goals.

We rely too much on Mane and Sallah for pretty much everything going forward. Keita is a totally pointless player and pre Jota we've had nothing on the bench.

Agree re Keita, it’s akin to playing with 10 men, he’s neither use nor ornament and to be honest I’d give him away in lieu of finding anybody insane enough to pay money for him.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Just hope Klopp doesn’t double down on the high line. A bit of humility is required. 

90 points will win this league. That might involve grinding out the odd result, especially against rivals. We can do this - we did it in 18/19. I like a high line, but this is kamikaze. Just gives shut teams a chance. God help us if we try to play like this in Europe.

It was the zero pressure on their back line which was mostly the problem. You give anyone time to pick a midfield runner with a pass and if you don't drop as a line, you'll get punished. That's why we press so tirelessly with our front 6. It was a complete disaster today where everything that could go wrong, did. 

5 minutes ago, niallers said:

Has there ever been a game where we've conceded 3 massively deflected goals like that? Everything they hit off us went in. Not excusing the performance but that stat is crazy. Add in the penalty and its a 4 goal swing. Grasping at straws I suppose but what else can we do

Deflections aren't unlucky, it means your not close enough to block properly.  We weren't close enough at any stage, only Milner put in any sort of tackle all night.

• Upvote 4

Just now, KMD7 said:

Robbo being brutally honest about the performance on LFC TV.  Attitude wrong from the start, mistakes from everyone, lost all our battles all over the place and Villa totally deserving. Said the deflections were crazy but wasnt the reason we lost.

Robbo's great. I wanna see how we react v Everton

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

Has there ever been a game where we've conceded 3 massively deflected goals like that? Everything they hit off us went in. Not excusing the performance but that stat is crazy. Add in the penalty and its a 4 goal swing. Grasping at straws I suppose but what else can we do

I think this is an angle worth pursuing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Klopp has been fantastic in the transfer market - Karius and Keita have been his bad buys 

Karius cost fuck all hard to lump him in and we've made our money back on him with the loan fees.  In terms of performances I'd agree though.

4 minutes ago, derykw said:

Without question the worst performance from a Liverpool team in my life time.

Adrian should never play for us again and Firmino needs dropping about 6 months ago.

If we're honest Villa could of scored 12 or 13 today. I dont think we can just put this down to" just one of those days " I really fear we have deep rooted issues.

Last season is done and dusted it needs to be filed away now.

I promised myself if we won the league last season that I wouldn't really give a fuck about football after that. It's a philosophy Im trying to cling to now.

Fuck right off with that shit.

4 minutes ago, niallers said:

I think the third goal was the game changer, we were well in it and i thought we were going to win, but criminally bad afterwards. Wasnt Barkely offside from the shot that led to the corner where they scored it too? 

Adrian was at fault for 1 or 2 goals.  On a normal night that would make him the undisputed villain of the piece.

A back four who have played together a million times looked like hapless strangers.

Nobody in the midfield was capable of completing a pass. Possession was given away cheaply time and time and time again. 

Bobby was a fucking liability.  Jota was busy and occasionally dangerous, as was Robbo. Mo was our best defender as well as our best attacker.

You can usually carry a couple of players who either aren't good enough or aren't up to their usual standard. Tonight showed that you can't carry 8 or 9 of them.

I can't decide whether we were naive in letting them win so many cheap free-kicks or the referee was naive for awarding them all. He certainly dropped a bollock for not awarding a clear pen. We were also unfortunate with a few deflections that could have gone anywhere, but tonight went into the net.

Still, fuck it. Freaky result in a freaky year. No sulking; no excuses; no scapegoating.  Shit it out and move on.

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Only Salah, Jota and Robertson get any credit there. Rest of the starters were absolutely shite. Think it's at the point where we need to consider benching Firmino, his confidence is shot to pieces. Keita isn't good enough. Even when he/the team plays well, he always looks the weakest link to me. Some other senior players need to take a look at themselves - Gomez, Trent, Van Dijk, Fabinho. Need to bounce back against Everton, obviously. 

Agree with you on Mo, Jota and Robbo.

Also on Keita, I don’t care what his passing stats are like if he’s only tapping the ball sideways. He’s too lightweight. 

1 minute ago, Wicket said:

I think the third goal was the game changer, we were well in it and i thought we were going to win, but criminally bad afterwards. Wasnt Barkely offside from the shot that led to the corner where they scored it too? 

Yes, he was.  As I said in the thread is a ridiclulous rule how it's not called offisde by VAR when teams get a corner.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree re Keita, it’s akin to playing with 10 men, he’s neither use nor ornament and to be honest I’d give him away in lieu of finding anybody insane enough to pay money for him.

You always judge a player by how you feel when you see them on the teamsheet or coming off the bench, and I feel like Jeff Bezos when he wins a tenner on the lottery.