You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mv Estonia Sea ferry disaster

chrisbonnie

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I thought the Navy training was fairly easy but I was 17 with no idea what else was out there. can imagine it being a lot tougher for someone over 25

Not just the training mate.

My brother in law did 22 years in the Army and saw a lot of shit which completely fucked him up.

We've all known hard lads, but this lad was on another level.

Hard as nails and ruthless with it but fantastic company and really funny.

Dead at 50, drank himself to death.

We think he had PTSD, but he refused to seek help because in his words, "They'd say I was a danger to the public and certify me".

A sad waste.

18 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Not just the training mate.

My brother in law did 22 years in the Army and saw a lot of shit which completely fucked him up.

We've all known hard lads, but this lad was on another level.

Hard as nails and ruthless with it but fantastic company and really funny.

Dead at 50, drank himself to death.

We think he had PTSD, but he refused to seek help because in his words, "They'd say I was a danger to the public and certify me".

A sad waste.

Very sad. Its no walk in the park like. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

To what? 

For runt documentary about this disaster? 

Seeing as the thread has meandered into a discussion of submarines. I only have one experience of one. 

Myself and the missus got on a tourist one in lanzarote a few years ago. Didn't go down too deep, maybe 10 metres or so. The one thing I found totally remarkable was colour perception. I was wearing a red t-shirt, and at that tiny depth, you'd swear it was blue. Weird..... 

10 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

For runt documentary about this disaster? 

Seeing as the thread has meandered into a discussion of submarines. I only have one experience of one. 

Myself and the missus got on a tourist one in lanzarote a few years ago. Didn't go down too deep, maybe 10 metres or so. The one thing I found totally remarkable was colour perception. I was wearing a red t-shirt, and at that tiny depth, you'd swear it was blue. Weird..... 

Neptune outing you as a bluenose there mate.

I've just been searching online for you, as far as I can see its not even been aired yet? 

You couldn't pay me enough to be a submariner. Even the scene in Das Boot where they've left he base all stocked up with bananas, bread and bratwurst hanging form every available pipe like a meaty garden of eden wouldn't tempt me. Nosiree.

I'd imagine with the MV Estonia incident, sinking of The Kursk (?) and Project Azorian,  being a Russian Submariner is whole new level of danger.

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. 

Anyway ferry disasters. That Townsend Thoresen one was horrific. Some twat fell asleep and forgot to shut the back door didn't he? Pitch black going down in the freezing water like that..... Crikey 

I remember that very well. My uncle used to work on it. He wasn’t working that day though. Someone locally (they live Dover) swapped his shift and wasn’t onboard that day. Two weeks later he had a motorbike accident and died. When your number is up....

Also I don’t think they forgot to close the door, they regularly used to sail closing it as they moved. Not allowed now of course.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, suzy said:

I remember that very well. My uncle used to work on it. He wasn’t working that day though. Someone locally (they live Dover) swapped his shift and wasn’t onboard that day. Two weeks later he had a motorbike accident and died. When your number is up....

Also I don’t think they forgot to close the door, they regularly used to sail closing it as they moved. Not allowed now of course.

Grim. 

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

Am I the only cunt who can't remember this disaster at all? I was 15 in 1994, 800 people dead & this is the first I can remember hearing about it. It's thrown me a wee bit.

I don't remember it either. 

Which is odd as I remember the Zeebrugge disaster, and that was 7 years earlier. But maybe that's mainly because the fuckers at the BBC cancelled the Saturday morning kids programmes to devote rolling news coverage to a sunken ferry.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Which is odd as I remember the Zeebrugge disaster, and that was 7 years earlier. But maybe that's mainly because the fuckers at the BBC cancelled the Saturday morning kids programmes to devote rolling news coverage to a sunken ferry.

Hundreds of people died Still I suppose you were only 7

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Aye, I remember Zeebrugge as clear as day but this one is drawing a complete blank.

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

Am I the only cunt who can't remember this disaster at all? I was 15 in 1994, 800 people dead & this is the first I can remember hearing about it. It's thrown me a wee bit.

7 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The Estonia disaster was mainly Swedish and Estonians who died whereas Zeebrugge was lots of Brits. Thats why. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Estonia disaster was mainly Swedish and Estonians who died whereas Zeebrugge was lots of Brits. Thats why. 

Yes I think you’re right there. I do have a vague memory of the Estonia one but the Zeebrugge one was very close to home.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Hop on Wikipedia and search up "disasters" mate. There'll be a shitload you've never heard of. Some with large death tolls too. There was a ferry sank in the Philippines in 1987, almost four and a half thousand died in that one. 

6 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Hop on Wikipedia and search up "disasters" mate. There'll be a shitload you've never heard of. Some with large death tolls too. There was a ferry sank in the Philippines in 1987, almost four and a half thousand died in that one. 

I was amazed you could get 800 people on a ferry never mind four thousand. Fucking Hell.

Fucking hell. I was aware that one had happened there but had never known any real detail

https://historydaily.org/mv-dona-paz-tragedy

The Titanic Wasn't the Deadliest Disaster of Its Kind

1980s | March 16, 2017

Almost everyone knows the story about the ill-fated RMS Titanic, but are you aware that the Titanic is only the third-worst non-military loss of life to be ever recorded? Two more disasters were ranked as worse than the famous ocean liner, and that's not involving the military ones. Here are ten of the most terrifying maritime catastrophes ever documented.

MV Dona Paz

Considered the most fatal ferry disaster in History was the incident of the MV Doña Paz en route to Manila in the Philippines which happened on December 20th 1987. It was officially carrying maximum passenger manifest of exactly 1,583 passengers and 58 crews.

The Doña Paz slammed into an oil tanker MT Vector that was loaded with 8,800 barrels of gasoline. Survivors say that although the weather that night was fair, the sea was rough. So upon collision, the Vector caught fire with the flames rapidly spreading throughout the ship. The lights aboard the Doña Paz were extinguished and as there were no available life jackets or they were locked away, the passengers were coerced to jump overboard and into the shark-infested waters.

Eight hours passed before authorities were informed of the accident, and further eight hours had elapsed to organize a search and rescue operation. Only 26 survivors were rescued from the waters along with two crew of the Vector.

Ferries in the Philippines were lenient back then and would allow as much people to cram especially during peak passenger season. That incident occurred ill-fatedly a few days before Christmas which is among the busiest time of the year.
The official manifest of the ship showed 1,583 passengers on board, however anonymous officials’ testified that the vessel was actually carrying around 3000-4000 passengers on board and some were sleeping along the corridors in cots with up to four people squeezed in each. 

This attestation of the officials is likely to be true due to the fact that only one among the 21 bodies recovered was listed on the manifest. There were 2000 individuals to be reported missing by friends and family believed to have been aboard the vessel, and none of these were on the manifest. Sadly, the official Death toll was 1,749 although a more accurate estimate of deaths was 4,341, a fatality that the World Almanac records as the deadliest maritime disaster during the 20th century.