You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mv Estonia Sea ferry disaster

chrisbonnie

I had to re-read the title of this thread as I thought it was you who'd been involved in a ferry disaster in Estonia.

It should read MS Estonia.

I must say I can't even remember this one. I can remember the Marchioness on the Thames, and the Herald of Free Enterprise in Zeebrugge, but the Estonian one has me drawing a complete blank.

1 minute ago, rb14 said:

My money's on "other ship". Can't see a ferry being sunk by a watch. 

20200929_103236.png

Or an actual Submariner. I mean most of the Royal Navy submariners are tough as iron. Boring, pale pasty loners and nearly always scottish but still, they aren't sinking a ferry. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Or an actual Submariner. I mean most of the Royal Navy submariners are tough as iron. Boring, pale pasty loners and nearly always scottish but still, they aren't sinking a ferry. 

When I was down in Pompey I played rugby with a few submariners. None of them were Scottish but they were all lunatics

They got extra pay but it didn't seem worth it to me

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

When I was down in Pompey I played rugby with a few submariners. None of them were Scottish but they were all lunatics

They got extra pay but it didn't seem worth it to me

Yeah they do get a bit extra and obviously when away they don't spend anything so are always minted. Very peculiar people. 

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It takes a certain type alright.

Yep. 

Anyway ferry disasters. That Townsend Thoresen one was horrific. Some twat fell asleep and forgot to shut the back door didn't he? Pitch black going down in the freezing water like that..... Crikey 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I had a look around HMS Talent when it was alongside in Drake, Plymouth. To put it bluntly, fuck that. I was claustrophobic as fuck in the half an hour I was on-board. 

2-2-org-fightingarm-unit-fleetsubs-hmsta

Is it true that it was always a volunteer service,but now any naval rating can be placed in the submarine service ?

3 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Is it true that it was always a volunteer service,but now any naval rating can be placed in the submarine service ?

When I was in you had to volunteer to be a Submariner. I doubt they can force that particular draft on people? They might well do but thats the first I've heard of it. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

When I was in you had to volunteer to be a Submariner. I doubt they can force that particular draft on people? They might well do but thats the first I've heard of it. 

As you said,I really couldn't imagine being enclosed underwater for weeks or months on end.far too claustrophobic 

37 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I used to work with an ex Submariner.

Terrible B O.

Must have been really popular with his shipmates.

They all did, they would spend months together with vertually no fresh water, so they didn't notice it. Even going ashore they would just spray and go. 

I worked with a few after they had left and they were all shot to fuck and mostly pissheads, in a good way.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I would have thought there would have to be some sort of selection process.

Like you said earlier they're pretty claustrophobic and they can be submerged for long periods.

I don't think they would want to risk anybody losing it and putting the ship and crew in danger.

4 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

As you said,I really couldn't imagine being enclosed underwater for weeks or months on end.far too claustrophobic 

Most of the crew don't even know where they are at any given time. Imagine sitting there watching Blue Planet and Attenborough is in the middle of the Bering Sea talking about a Crab with 4 heads and not knowing if you've swam with the fucker or been sat in the English Channel for 8 months. 

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

I would have thought there would have to be some sort of selection process.

Like you said earlier they're pretty claustrophobic and they can be submerged for long periods.

I don't think they would want to risk anybody losing it and putting the ship and crew in danger.

Yeah its quite intense I believe. Lots of psychological evaluations etc then you have to pass a test on all sorts of things about the Sub in proper detail no matter if your a Chef, an Engineer or an Officer. They all have to know which switch does what and why. Then they have the bends tank exercise which quite frankly terrifies me. 

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

They all did, they would spend months together with vertually no fresh water, so they didn't notice it. Even going ashore they would just spray and go. 

I worked with a few after they had left and they were all shot to fuck and mostly pissheads, in a good way.

I had a fight with one outside The Wheelers pub in Torpoint. He punched like a mule. Scottish as well. It was like hitting a fucking wall. Bred differently them lot. 

EDIT: It was quite funny because it kicked off all over the place in the street and the next day we all got called in one by one to see the Master at Arms on the base. He's sat there asking "were you involved in the riot in Torpoint last night?" "No sir I went to the Carbielle for some dinner then accidentally tripped up the stairs in the block thats why I've got a black eye and my lips belong to Pete Burns" 

9 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think this lad carried on the same way when I knew him.

Fucking hummed he did.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah its quite intense I believe. Lots of psychological evaluations etc then you have to pass a test on all sorts of things about the Sub in proper detail no matter if your a Chef, an Engineer or an Officer. They all have to know which switch does what and why. Then they have the bends tank exercise which quite frankly terrifies me. 

Yeah, fuck that.

The things our armed forces personnel across the services have to endure shouldn't be underestimated or under appreciated.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Yeah, fuck that.

The things our armed forces personnel across the services have to endure shouldn't be underestimated or under appreciated.

I thought the Navy training was fairly easy but I was 17 with no idea what else was out there. can imagine it being a lot tougher for someone over 25. I was fit as a fiddle and having pretty much joined from school I didn't get the feeling of my liberty being taken away.