You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robertson: It was definitely the worst assist I have ever given

TLW

Andy Robertson has spoken of his satisfaction over Liverpool’s perfect start to the season after the Reds defeated Arsenal 3-1 on Monday night.

The visitors took the lead through Alexander Lacazette after he made the most of a very uncharacteristic sloppy piece of play by the left-back.

But the Champions did not let that setback knock them off their stride and Sadio Mane was on the spot to capitalise on some fine work by Mo Salah before Robertson truly atoned for his error by putting the Reds in front just past the half hour mark.

The satisfactory night was complete when new signing Diogo Jota who looked lively from the moment he came on, opened his Liverpool scoresheet on his home debut two minutes from time. Jota will have been a popular bet for last goalscorer and this would have been a good time to use your bet365 bonus code.

Speaking to the Official site after the contest, Robertson in his customary way poked fun at himself, but says he was very keen to make a positive impact.

“I don’t think there were many negatives from the game.

"Our defensive display was very good, our attacking was very good. The only thing we can maybe say is we maybe could have taken a couple more of the chances. 

“Of course, the goal could have been avoided – it was definitely the worst assist I’ve ever given! One I wasn’t happy about. 

“Look, these mistakes happen unfortunately; 99 times out of 100 I clear that and the danger is cleared, but unfortunately that was the one time. 

"Luckily, since I’ve came here, I’ve not made many mistakes.

"But unfortunately that was one and when you make a mistake like that, you always want the team to win and you to try to contribute in different ways. 

“Luckily, I popped up at the other end and I didn’t let that get to me.

"So, I’m pleased about that. And hopefully the next time that ball comes in I’ll clear it 60 yards the other way.

The Scottish captain said that the respect was high for their opponents especially as Mikel Arteta has turned the North London club into a much more resolute outfit than the soft underbelly that they had displayed under the latter tenure of Arsene Wenger and Unai Emery. 

“You know by now that our game is based on hard work, first and foremost. We have so much individual quality. Defensively, we’re strong; attacking, we’re strong. But if we don’t work hard we don’t win games, it’s as simple as that – and that’s what has been drilled into us from the manager. 

robertson3_600.jpg

“Since [Mikel] Arteta has come in, he has turned Arsenal around as a club, as a team on the pitch and off the pitch. 

“We knew it was going to be a tough game. Both teams 100 per cent records so far this season, and they have played with a lot of confidence. So we knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but we knew if we could do what we can do, find [space] in between the lines and get the boys on the ball up top, we believed we could win the game. 

“Luckily, the work-rate and the quality all rolled into one and it was as close to a complete performance as we’ve done this season.

The Impact of the Liverpool Full-backs is unparalleled throughout the league and a indication of that is since Robertson’s arrival in 2017/8 they have been involved in 66 goals (33 a piece).

That is 11 clear of the next defender on the list (Cesar Azpilicueta).

Robertson says he loves his role of being a creator, but he certainly sees himself primarily as a defender.

“I love scoring and I love assisting but, first and foremost, I love defending.

"That’s why a part of me still won’t be happy about tonight because I know I caused the [Arsenal] goal. 

“But the fact that we’re walking away with three points and I helped put the team in front and steered us to three points will probably help me sleep tonight.

"Of course, creating goals and scoring goals is something I like doing and something I want to do, so long may that continue. 

“Hopefully I keep popping up in the right areas. I think I showed a bit of composure there – Mo or Sadio would have been quite happy with that!”

View full article

6 hours ago, TLW said:

Andy Robertson has spoken of his satisfaction over Liverpool’s perfect start to the season after the Reds defeated Arsenal 3-1 on Monday night.

The visitors took the lead through Alexander Lacazette after he made the most of a very uncharacteristic sloppy piece of play by the left-back.

But the Champions did not let that setback knock them off their stride and Sadio Mane was on the spot to capitalise on some fine work by Mo Salah before Robertson truly atoned for his error by putting the Reds in front just past the half hour mark.

The satisfactory night was complete when new signing Diogo Jota who looked lively from the moment he came on, opened his Liverpool scoresheet on his home debut two minutes from time.

Speaking to the Official site after the contest, Robertson in his customary way poked fun at himself, but says he was very keen to make a positive impact.

“I don’t think there were many negatives from the game.

"Our defensive display was very good, our attacking was very good. The only thing we can maybe say is we maybe could have taken a couple more of the chances. 

“Of course, the goal could have been avoided – it was definitely the worst assist I’ve ever given! One I wasn’t happy about. 

“Look, these mistakes happen unfortunately; 99 times out of 100 I clear that and the danger is cleared, but unfortunately that was the one time. 

"Luckily, since I’ve came here, I’ve not made many mistakes.

"But unfortunately that was one and when you make a mistake like that, you always want the team to win and you to try to contribute in different ways. 

“Luckily, I popped up at the other end and I didn’t let that get to me.

"So, I’m pleased about that. And hopefully the next time that ball comes in I’ll clear it 60 yards the other way.

The Scottish captain said that the respect was high for their opponents especially as Mikel Arteta has turned the North London club into a much more resolute outfit than the soft underbelly that they had displayed under the latter tenure of Arsene Wenger and Unai Emery. 

“You know by now that our game is based on hard work, first and foremost. We have so much individual quality. Defensively, we’re strong; attacking, we’re strong. But if we don’t work hard we don’t win games, it’s as simple as that – and that’s what has been drilled into us from the manager. 

robertson3_600.jpg

“Since [Mikel] Arteta has come in, he has turned Arsenal around as a club, as a team on the pitch and off the pitch. 

“We knew it was going to be a tough game. Both teams 100 per cent records so far this season, and they have played with a lot of confidence. So we knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but we knew if we could do what we can do, find [space] in between the lines and get the boys on the ball up top, we believed we could win the game. 

“Luckily, the work-rate and the quality all rolled into one and it was as close to a complete performance as we’ve done this season.

The Impact of the Liverpool Full-backs is unparalleled throughout the league and a indication of that is since Robertson’s arrival in 2017/8 they have been involved in 66 goals (33 a piece).

That is 11 clear of the next defender on the list (Cesar Azpilicueta).

Robertson says he loves his role of being a creator, but he certainly sees himself primarily as a defender.

“I love scoring and I love assisting but, first and foremost, I love defending.

"That’s why a part of me still won’t be happy about tonight because I know I caused the [Arsenal] goal. 

“But the fact that we’re walking away with three points and I helped put the team in front and steered us to three points will probably help me sleep tonight.

"Of course, creating goals and scoring goals is something I like doing and something I want to do, so long may that continue. 

“Hopefully I keep popping up in the right areas. I think I showed a bit of composure there – Mo or Sadio would have been quite happy with that!”

View full article

Interesting article. The scribe could perhaps do worse than having a look at the meaning of the word 'paragraph' and specifically, how one should be used? 

Otherwise perfectly. 

Good writing. 

Becomes clunky and. 

Distracting to say the. 

Least.