You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rival Players You Respect

Bjornebye

Staying away from players I had respect for who don’t/didn’t play for our biggest rivals as that’s too easy. Everton, United and, because it’s hard for me, Leeds only for my selections. 

Probably won’t be popular, but I’d say Paul Scholes. Snide bastard in the tackle aside, he was an absolutely brilliant player. Quite liked Steve Coppell back in the day as well. 

The Everton team of the 1980’s had a couple of worthy of a tip of my hat. Southall certainly, Keven Sheedy, Paul Bracewell and Trevor Steven possibly.

As for Leeds, I’ll go for Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler, Ken De Mange, James Milner, Gary Mac and Jim Beglin. 

37 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I always liked Trevor Steven as a kid.

Big Nev is a good shout too.

Henry was great and respected by our fans, he got a pretty impressive applause at Stevie or Carra’s testimonial from memory.

I watched him tear Pompey apart when they beat them (5 nil I think it was) and the whole ground didn't just applaud him off the pitch but the Fratton End was singing his name. He was unbelievable. 

jpns%20WEB%20ACH%20Thierry%20Henry%20in%

It's that kind of stuff that this threads about. The football not the man or the club he played for. 

Ballacks another one. I remember seeing him for Leverkusen. He was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Gutted Chelsea got him but he always got overshadowed by Essien and Lampard I thought. 

Henry and Ian Wright. Met Ian Wright once on a train to London and he was sound, didn't mind talking to me, some random Liverpool fan about the documentary about him on ITV a few weeks before. 

Not a player but I've always liked Carlo Ancelotti. Never disliked him when he was Chelsea manager. He never moaned about Istanbul when we won and never said anything when they beat us two years later. Always comes across as a genuine person. He would have to do something majorly twattish as Everton manager to make me dislike him. 

• Upvote 1

Gordon Banks. Much as I loved the flying pig, it would have been magic if Shanks had been able to sign him. Always got a huge welcome from the Kop, acknowledged it and played a blinder.

Franz Beckenbauer. Just oozed class on the pitch. Absolute Nazi cunt off it.

Nev Southall. Brilliant goalie I saw little of being in Australia in the Dark Ages, an inspirational human being. 

Marcus Rashford. Done more for his country than the entire Tory government. Shows the petty minded nastiness of the scum fan base, so many snide comments about forgetting about what he's doing and concentrate on his game. Cunts, every last one of them.

• Upvote 1