You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rival Players You Respect

Bjornebye

Steve Bruce accidentally cut in front of us in an airport security line. He was absolutely mortified when my wife pointed it out and sincerely offered to go right to the back but I said he could stay where he was if he admitted that the beachball goal was the worst decision of all time. He said "terrible, crap decision son, but not the beachball's fault you couldn't score for the next 85 minutes."

Which was fair enough. He's sound. His head is also fucking massive, which we all know, but it really has to be said when you see it to scale next to you.

• Upvote 4

The only rival team I've ever really respected was Revie's Leeds side. Hated them but you had to respect them. Hard working, tough bastards to a man but full of class throughout the side. Bremner, Charlton, Cooper, Madeley...  Couldn't respect that cheating, niggly "Gentleman" Johnny Giles though even if he was a fantastic player. 

Clough's Forest - one trick ponies. Although it was a very good trick. Arteta must have based his current style on them but he's not spotted you need good defenders. Defend, defend, defend, quick ball out to the fat guy on the left. 

Ferguson's teams - great but full of arrogant bastards. Ditto Chelsea and City . 

Wenger's boys - some grudging admiration. 

23 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Shearer.

Injury robbed him of at least two seasons at his pomp.

I saw him at Anfield and Ewood Park a few times and he was mustard at his best. A real striker and goal scorer.

At his best he was the complete centre forward and the best of his generation.

In his prime he would be your first name on the team sheet. A winner 

Most of the England lads from the 80s and 90s, Lineker, Shearer, Pearce, Adams, Seaman, even Ince before he played for us. Really rooted for those lads, the Erikson era with Terry, Lampard ferdinand and all those other cunts were a different matter, seems to have changed back to a more respectable bunch now though. 

The England vs Holland Euro 96 game for me though and the Italian 90 England side, all those boys.

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Most of the England lads from the 80s and 90s, Lineker, Shearer, Pearce, Adams, Seaman, even Ince before he played for us. Really rooted for those lads, the Erikson era with Terry, Lampard ferdinand and all those other cunts were a different matter, seems to have changed back to a more respectable bunch now though. 

The England vs Holland Euro 96 game for me though and the Italian 90 England side, all those boys.

Yeah I've always liked Stuart Pearce. I reckon he should have been given a better shot at management. Apparently he nearly went to Pompey after Adams made a pigs ear of it but the club was about to go bust so it didn't happen. He would have been a hero down there. 

I have always found it hard to hate Gazza despite him being a flute shagging hun hero. I think he is too stupid to really get what the fuck he is on about and is just playing to the masses. if Celtic had signed him he would have probably crossed himself at Ibrox and pulled a balaclava out and started shooting the sky when he scored. 

Ally McCoist.... I really like his punditry and if I ever find myself listening to Talk Sport he is about the only one I can bare. Loved him on Question of Sport. Him and Tuffnell should be set in stone on that. Matt Dawson is about as funny as a fucking stubbed toe. 

Kanchelskis played for Utd, r*ngers and Everton and I still think he was a boss player. 

2 hours ago, Manny said:

Steve Bruce accidentally cut in front of us in an airport security line. He was absolutely mortified when my wife pointed it out and sincerely offered to go right to the back but I said he could stay where he was if he admitted that the beachball goal was the worst decision of all time. He said "terrible, crap decision son, but not the beachball's fault you couldn't score for the next 85 minutes."

Which was fair enough. He's sound. His head is also fucking massive, which we all know, but it really has to be said when you see it to scale next to you.

I inadvertently irked him at Euston Station once. He was manager of someone shit (Hull?) who had got a good result at Arsenal.  I was pissed as arseholes and bickering with a ticket barrier guard when he walked past and I said "Good result today, Wonky-nose".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I've always liked Stuart Pearce. I reckon he should have been given a better shot at management. Apparently he nearly went to Pompey after Adams made a pigs ear of it but the club was about to go bust so it didn't happen. He would have been a hero down there. 

I have always found it hard to hate Gazza despite him being a flute shagging hun hero. I think he is too stupid to really get what the fuck he is on about and is just playing to the masses. if Celtic had signed him he would have probably crossed himself at Ibrox and pulled a balaclava out and started shooting the sky when he scored. 

Ally McCoist.... I really like his punditry and if I ever find myself listening to Talk Sport he is about the only one I can bare. Loved him on Question of Sport. Him and Tuffnell should be set in stone on that. Matt Dawson is about as funny as a fucking stubbed toe. 

Kanchelskis played for Utd, r*ngers and Everton and I still think he was a boss player. 

Think I heard Gazza saying once that his grandparents were Irish Catholics so if he went to Celtic he would probably be doing whatever it took to piss off Rangers. He said it in the context of pissing off Celtic. He was just a complete lunatic and hard to dislike.

I never had much love for England, but as mentioned players like Adams, Pearce, Gazza and Wright would be hard to dislike. The Arsenal back four were great lads and Seaman was a great goalie. Used to love Shearer but he is a complete knobhead as a pundit. Respected Gary Neville as a player but hated him more than any United player from his era. Now, I like him as a pundit.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think I heard Gazza saying once that his grandparents were Irish Catholics so if he went to Celtic he would probably be doing whatever it took to piss off Rangers. He said it in the context of pissing off Celtic. He was just a complete lunatic and hard to dislike.

I never had much love for England, but as mentioned players like Adams, Pearce, Gazza and Wright would be hard to dislike. The Arsenal back four were great lads and Seaman was a great goalie. Used to love Shearer but he is a complete knobhead as a pundit. Respected Gary Neville as a player but hated him more than any United player from his era. Now, I like him as a pundit.

Yeah I never ever thought I'd like Gary Neville, fucking despised him more than most layers ever but I think he is pretty sound and for me he is the best pundit around. Yeah he is a Manc and yeah he hates us but thats what the sport is abut. He isn't a biased cunt in his analysis but doesn't mind taking the piss out of himself. 

Just now, A Red said:

I think Glen Hoddle is one of the best English players ever. As usual was totally fucked about by England, if he was French, Dutch or German they would have built a team around him.

Wasnt Gordon Banks given the full kop respect treatment?

Yeah he was a great player. England actually had some great players in his era and I liked Robson as a man and as a manager, but they flattered to deceive. Having said that in 86' they were beaten by an Argentinian team with probably the greatest player of all time at his peak. 

I used to like Waddle as well. Now, he's just a horrible pundit but for a period of time, he was a phenomenal player.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't respect, admire, like the man in-fact I fucking detest him but Andy Goram pretty much won r*ngers about 3 titles on his own with his saves against Celtic in the 90's. I remember an Old Firm at Ibrox and Van Hooijdonk must have had about 20 shots on target and that cunt saved them all. 

Probably because there were two of him...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Stuart Pearce is a clueless bell end.  Telling Gerrard in a toilet he was taking the England captaincy off him and giving it to Scott fucking Parker for his one England game in charge as a caretaker.  Stuck David James up front in an actual game.  He’s definitely a Vinnie Jones style Tory loving gobshite as well.

• Upvote 2