You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rival Players You Respect

Bjornebye

32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Bergkamp,Henry,Southall,Zola. Rashford seems a good lad too. Always like Strachan too. Even though he played for Ferguson at Aberdeen and Man U he has always been pretty complimentary about us. Think he's a good mate of King Kenny too.

My Dad absolutely despised Strachan with a passion, I remember the day he got the Celtic job was the day of the Istanbul final. Spoke to my Dad on the phone and he was fucking raging. 10 minute phone call and he spent 9 minutes ranting about the little ginger bastard not being fit for Parkhead etc then a final "anyway come on Reds" haha. 

He likes him now. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Always liked Steve Bruce as well, just because he seemed a good bloke as well as being a decent player.

No way hombre! Bruce spent years moaning that he had never got an England cap. Then it emerged that he had been called up but turned it down. 

Twat. 

2 minutes ago, Ron B said:

No way hombre! Bruce spent years moaning that he had never got an England cap. Then it emerged that he had been called up but turned it down. 

Twat. 

Hahaha is that true? 

Pallister was a cracking player. Someone mentioned Irwin as well and thats a great shout. 

Cech was a great keeper at Chelsea. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Denis Irwin.

Quite a few Goons - Henry, Bergkamp, Viera, etc.

Nobody from Chelsea (apart from the ones who have played for us).

Denis Irwin was a good footballer. Mcgrath too,  I used to think Paul Bracewell was a quite tidy player, I'm trying to think of that West Ham player in the 80s, a good fixture at one time just got it Alan Devonshire he was a good player too. 

Always thought Zola was class.

Kenny Burns was the type of twat you hated, but would’ve loved to have in your team.

Drogba was immense, remember seeing him play against us before he signed for Chelsea and he gave Hyypia and Carragher the run around, I thought we should have put a bid in for him, but the money wasn’t there anyway.

Casillas maybe.

Carlos Tevez - His work rate was just incredible. Like a little wasp with skill. 

Gordon Strachen - another who was a hard working player and tough as nails. I only saw him in the flesh once and couldn't believe how good he was.

Ian Wright - a brilliant player. Just naturally gifted and seems like a sound enough bloke in real life.

Paul McGrath - another gent of a man who was a phenomenal player given how fucked his knees were. 

23 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I secretly admired Van Nisterlrooy despite publicly saying he wasn't all that at the time. He was an absolute goal machine and one of the best traditional centre forwards I've seen. 

The best thing about RVN is that he was a secret bastard according to my Scum supporting mate. Didn’t he get fucked off for crippling Ronaldo in training then telling him to go and cry to his dead dad about it. I don’t care if that’s true that’s a level of pure heel I can respect.

Fuck, years ago I respected opposing players like Law, Best, Bell, Summerbee, Osgood, Hunter, Doogan and the like. Used to respect Klinnsman, the diving cunt when he was at spurs. Tony Adams was a cunt at arsenal as well but he was another I respected. Used to respect Bob Wilson for arsenal as well.

I often wonder what those players would be like playing on pitches we have today.

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Off the top of my head, Neville Southall, Peter Reid, Pat Nevin, Ian Wright, Graeme Le Saux and Eric Cantona, for various reasons, all come across as sound people.

Le Saux is a great shout. I know he had that run in with Fowler but he was a superb left-back. Great for Blackburn the season they won the league. 

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Yeah that run in with Fowler showed Fowler up. Le Saux being taunted for being a homosexual because he read The Guardian and had a fancy surname is more a negative reflection on the times and people like Fowler playing it off as cheeky just exacerbated that monolithic mindset.

I've met Le Saux, he's sound as fuck. He would do a better job than most pundits on Sky/BT but he speaks sense and isn't controversial so they don't bother with him. 

Ginola - Does he count as a rival? What a player he was. 

I don't respect, admire, like the man in-fact I fucking detest him but Andy Goram pretty much won r*ngers about 3 titles on his own with his saves against Celtic in the 90's. I remember an Old Firm at Ibrox and Van Hooijdonk must have had about 20 shots on target and that cunt saved them all.