You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lincoln City 2 Liverpool 7 (Sep 24 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It was 10 years ago this week that we were humiliated at Anfield by Northampton. Obviously the club has come a long way since those dark days and we’re now the best team in the land, but I thought it was quite fitting to see the second string perform like they did at Lincoln.

Northampton wasn't a one off either. We’ve spent decades struggling in these type of cup ties when the big hitters were rested and we had to call on the kids and fringe players. Now? I actually look forward to these games as much I do the ‘proper’ matches. 

Some of the most enjoyable games we’ve had in recent seasons have been when the second string has played in the cups. Arsenal and Everton last season were great. So too was the Shrewsbury replay when it was a team full of kids. This was more of a mixed line up but we had a bit of everything really. 

We had the star quality of Van Dijk, we had the fringe players like Shaqiri and Minamino, the wonder kids Jones and Elliott, the unknown youth teamer unexpectedly thrown in at the deep end as well as a couple of new signings making their debuts (Tsimikas looked good I thought). We also had a couple of lads in Big Div and my boy Grujic who maybe won’t be here much longer. Everyone played their part though.

It was a real mish mash eleven and in the past whenever we’d done anything like this it would usually end up in a risible performance and a cup exit. Spurs away jumps out at me for some reason. I couldn’t even tell you who played that night but I remember it was a real shitshow. Probably people like Degen and Plessis were involved but I’ve kind of wiped it from memory so can’t be sure.

Generally in the past when we've thrown together a team of kids and misfits, they've played like total strangers. That doesn't happen anymore. Win or lose they always look like a Klopp team.

This was great. Not perfect, and the second half wasn’t good defensively after Virg went off, but scoring seven times away from home with a second string against the League One leaders isn’t anything to be sniffed at.

The quality of some of the goals was ridiculous too. Shaq’s free-kick to open the scoring was a belter. I saw that coming a mile off and called goal before he even took it. I watched it at my parents house and as I'm sure I've mentioned before, Shaq is like the son my Dad always wanted. I don’t mind that, I love Shaq as well and wish he was my little brother so I could playfully slap him in a headlock and ruffle his expensive new hair. Love that little guy, he's fucking boss.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I was just looking at the draw for the next round. i noticed Spurs are playing Chelsea. I was a bit surprised by this as I remembered seeing that their game with Leyton Orient had been called off due to a number of Orient's squad testing positive for covid. I thought they'd have just rearranged it for a later date, but the tie has apparently just been awarded to Spurs. Seems incredibly harsh on Leyton Orient. But in doing so the organisers have surely now set a precedent for what will happen if the same event occurs in future rounds. They can't have one rule for the small clubs and one rule for the big clubs, so we could potentially hammer Arsenal and then have an outbreak of the virus in the squad just before the following round and end up out of the competition anyway. It does make it kinda hard to get excited by the domestic cups.

• Upvote 2

Small point about the upcoming Arsenal games.

The Echo had a summary of Arteta’s presser today, and he supposedly described their Charity Shield win over us in the context of “When we played them in the final”. 

Hans Gruber didn’t fall as far as Arsenal have, since the days Wenger was winning titles and their fans were smugging it up over everyone else.

• Upvote 2

On 26/09/2020 at 09:18, Bad Red Bull said:

I definitely see a couple of midfield spots opening, Dave. Gini might leave on a free, Milner will leave. Keita, if he continues to under-perform. Ox can't be trusted to play one full season without injuries.

For some reason I still think Gini will end up signing a new deal. Milner will leave eventually, Keita will just keep doing enough to make everyone think he's about to come good so he's going nowhere. Agree on Ox and the injuries but even with all of that taken into account, I don't see Grujic moving enough places up the pecking order that he'd be prepared to stay.

And if we can get close to £20m for him now (which we should based on his loan performances) then I don't see any way we won't take that deal, especially with Covid having cost us around £100m and counting.

On 26/09/2020 at 08:45, William_Ulsterman said:

those twitter cunts aren't 'fans' they're just trolls, probably not even LFC fans, how could they be?

They usually are 'LFC fans'. By that I mean they aren't rival fans causing trouble, these cunts genuinely do follow us but they're just fucking lowlifes.

Every club has them, it's just that we're so big we have more than most. United are plagued with it too. Just look at the shit Rashford gets whenever he tweets about starving kids. "Worry about your form, you've been shite" etc 

• Upvote 1

On 25/09/2020 at 22:53, DalyanPete said:

just asking? have you put out your "my boys" eleven?

seems to get bigger every week!

Great report, but telling the  big Div didn't get a mention.

you don't get many chances in this team, don't feel he gets that, but his finish was top quality.

I think I did something in the last round up of last season, but it's hard doing an eleven as most of them are forwards. It would end up looking like Keegan's Newcastle.

• Upvote 2

On 25/09/2020 at 21:29, Dr Nowt said:

Small point about the upcoming Arsenal games.

The Echo had a summary of Arteta’s presser today, and he supposedly described their Charity Shield win over us in the context of “When we played them in the final”. 

Hans Gruber didn’t fall as far as Arsenal have, since the days Wenger was winning titles and their fans were smugging it up over everyone else.

Its shit like this that makes me want to beat them so much and why I'm still seething about us not beating them the last couple of times.

They're shit and it really bothers me when we don't beat them by three or four.

10 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

How come no offer is coming up for Grujic ?

Presumably because clubs are being careful due to the money lost through covid. 

I'm not sure how badly impacted German clubs have been, but Hertha Berlin love Grujic don't they? You'd think they could have stumped up £20m prior to the pandemic.

I reckon loads of clubs are waiting until the end of the window to do deals because they think the prices will come right down.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

I'm not sure how badly impacted German clubs have been, but Hertha Berlin love Grujic don't they? You'd think they could have stumped up £20m prior to the pandemic.

I reckon loads of clubs are waiting until the end of the window to do deals because they think the prices will come right down.

As in, agree on a lower price for January - or a last minute deal this window?

• dave u unpinned this topic