You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Non league football

Redder Lurtz

Anyone follow any lower league teams? For the last year I've been an avid follower of Farsley Celtic just outside Leeds. It's a cracking little club with a newly refurbed clubhouse, a real community feel to it. The players engage with the fans, the guys who run the club are a decent bunch. They're on their arses financially but I think they'll survive. 

They play in National League North to a pretty decent standard. It's nice going to watch football where opposition fans aren't gobshites and dickheads, with the exception of Darlington fans who are fucking arseholes. 

Might be some time before we're allowed back in to watch them but I've got a mate who plays with the U23s and trains with / helps coach the ladies' team so he can usually get me in so I can sit away from everyone like billy no mates but it's still enjoyable. 

Recently watched the ladies play Leeds Ladies which ended up 6-6 as the keepers were fucking terrible. Very entertaining though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

The quick answer is no.

Watched Bootle growing up. Just had a quick google of them then and they are on twitter asking if anyone fancies a game on Saturday. How the mighty have fallen.

FA Cup once? I think our Jimmy played for them in the 70s not sure. 

Didn't Formby FC go bust a few years ago after 100 years or so, shame if so and how it's allowed to happen considering the amount of money that's in football that's supposed to filter down to through the various levels. 

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Anyone follow any lower league teams? For the last year I've been an avid follower of Farsley Celtic just outside Leeds. It's a cracking little club with a newly refurbed clubhouse, a real community feel to it. The players engage with the fans, the guys who run the club are a decent bunch. They're on their arses financially but I think they'll survive. 

They play in National League North to a pretty decent standard. It's nice going to watch football where opposition fans aren't gobshites and dickheads, with the exception of Darlington fans who are fucking arseholes. 

Might be some time before we're allowed back in to watch them but I've got a mate who plays with the U23s and trains with / helps coach the ladies' team so he can usually get me in so I can sit away from everyone like billy no mates but it's still enjoyable. 

Recently watched the ladies play Leeds Ladies which ended up 6-6 as the keepers were fucking terrible. Very entertaining though. 

I like Whitby Town as a result of holidaying in Whitby, although I haven’t been for a few years. Boss little club and ground. Their club colours are based on Sampdoria’s.

5C6487CE-3E93-4999-A3C1-F4CABAE93750.jpeg

09004256-3499-469A-9F89-99D0069E6C2D.jpeg

8492EA5E-0EAB-4484-B866-92FD9C820DA4.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Used to watch Skem United at White Moss Park when I was a kid, they used to get decent crowds of over 5000 at times. I went to Maine Road to see them play Enfield in an Amateur Cup Final replay after they had drawn at Wembley , must have been in the late 60's. My dad took me to see them playing at Chesterfield in the FA Cup one year as well.

Saw Steve Heighway and Mickey Burns playing for them.

York City is my local non league team having fallen out of the  league and down the football pyramid over the last few years, national league north now. I did take my grandsons to watch them a few times before lockdown at their Bootham (or Kit Kat) crescent ground which unfortunately  has now been sold for housing development.
 Anyone  remember when we played there two years running in the FA cup 3rd round back in the early 80’s? First one was a freezing January day, most games were called off but York had covered the pitch in tonnes of straw the night before and the game went ahead, some deliberate shithousery by York though to try stop us playing football as the pitch was a fucking disgrace and looked more like a ploughed field and we were fortunate to come away with a draw. Thumped them at Anfield 7-0 in the replay a week or so later though. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

York City is my local non league team having fallen out of the  league and down the football pyramid over the last few years, national league north now. I did take my grandsons to watch them a few times before lockdown at their Bootham (or Kit Kat) crescent ground which unfortunately  has now been sold for housing development.
 Anyone  remember when we played there two years running in the FA cup 3rd round back in the early 80’s? First one was a freezing January day, most games were called off but York had covered the pitch in tonnes of straw the night before and the game went ahead, some deliberate shithousery by York though to try stop us playing football as the pitch was a fucking disgrace and looked more like a ploughed field and we were fortunate to come away with a draw. Thumped them at Anfield 7-0 in the replay a week or so later though. 

Late equaliser in the away draw. Jan Molby pen I think. I’m testing my memory here. Could well be wrong, can’t be arsed looking it up. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Late equaliser in the away draw. Jan Molby pen I think. I’m testing my memory here. Could well be wrong, can’t be arsed looking it up. 

Well remembered YR ( Molby pen, 64 )

Didn't realise it was in the 85/86 double season. Went to all 42 league games that season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Caramac said:

I made it to both games at York and both the replays, the replay in 86 was pretty close, think the final score was 3-2.

pGwmlT9.png meS6rcZ.png

It was a close game, went to extra time if my memory is correct, York also had a goal disallowed before the 90 mins was up. Didn't think it was the 5th round though

34 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Great post Tone, magic of the F.A cup.... brought back some great memories. Pitches were as shite as I remember them. Still cannot work out why the linesman disallowed Whelan's goal though in the first game, maybe levelling up for disallowing the York goal earlier. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Farsley got a 0-0 draw there last season. York are our first home game of the season this season. Proper shame there'll be nobody allowed in. 

17 hours ago, Lee909 said:

No

I don't even watch league 1 and oy occasionally watch the Championship. 

I watch less and less as the years go on and part of me is looking forward to not watching any. Don't like the way the games gone or the fan bases etc 

The beauty of non league is that all the bullshit is stripped out. No shithouse fans, no superstars on millionaire contracts, just the purest form of the game. I find it thoroughly enjoyable.