You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) Premier League - 28/9/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

In fairness, it’s early days. We had no small amount of joy playing a rather agricultural game under Houllier, so maybe he’ll ultimately prove to be what they need at this point in time. Even being as it is a diminished competition, an FA Cup is a decent return for his first half—season. I think there’s more promise there than there is at Chelsea with Lampard, anyway.

Could never enjoy the Houllier tenure. For all the success it was joyless. (For me) 

5 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Could never enjoy the Houllier tenure. For all the success it was joyless. (For me) 

I enjoyed 1999-2002, but that was because there were signs of improvement and a return to winning trophies; a more expansive style of play would surely come! It soon became clear that Gérard had no Plan B up his sleeve, and the same stubbornness that caused him to hold a grudge against Ginola was his undoing. It’s true that he returned too soon from illness, but I don’t buy the narrative that it was decisive in stopping him from leading us to bigger things.

42 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Kinell. It might be an age thing but the week I was in Cardiff then Dortmund Watching us winning cups was probably the best of my life. 

Loads of trophies and great finals  it was the type of football kinda irked me and again not chatting finals more the bread and butter league matches. Rightly or wrongly I associated Houllier with playing right footed on left and vice versa leading to the players  cutting inside all the time, proper pissed me off, no beating a man and crossing into box.  Also the Le Tallac , Pongolle, Cheryou and Cisse buys didn't help capped off with picking Diouf over an in form Anelka soured his time for me . He/we were pretty successful though. 

6 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

He didn’t. He said ‘they were sloppy against Leeds and sloppy again tonight’. It was one of the least sloppy performances I’ve seen. He clarified later and pretended he said in parts, but he didn’t. I took exception to it at the time. 

I took exception at the time but immediately felt better once Jurgen said his piece! I liked he called him “Mr Keane” as I do that when I’m being sarcastic to people!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Troopz needs help. He's off his head here the daft cunt.

Tell you what, I’d have gone fucking apeshit if it happened the other way around. Fabinho deserved a yellow but it was no foul, them immediately the other side the same thing is picked up. It was shit, inconsistent reffing. Again. 

That said, Fabinho is boss and better at it. So, ya know, get better players. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Golden Eel said:

The only one of them that's all right is the fella in the middle. That one at the back left in the hat is weird as fuck. The other three are nutcases. 

The one in the middle is Robbie who runs Aftv. Seems a decent bloke. 

45 minutes ago, Skrtel Milk said:

Back in 2004, when Jeff Winter urged Robbie Fowler to score against Manchester United. "Go on, son! Quick!"

man_united_v_man_city_fa_cup_5th_round_february_2004.gif

Can't remember the ref or even the game but I remember one celebrating a goal.   He went on to claim it was cause he played advantage and was proud of the right call. 

2 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

When we battered Leeds in about 95 at Anfield. Or was it Tottenham? And it’s happened more recently too.

Yes there was a recent one, I think it might have been that game against Spurs when Kane scored that stupid offside goal when Lovren was trying to clear it? Though John Moss was reffing that match if I recall correctly. Maybe it was the linesman? Or maybe I'm getting muddled.