You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) Premier League - 28/9/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Arsenal played like a small club. We'll get more of a challenge from the likes of Brighton this season. If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be too busy being annoyed at Arteta than looking at ways the refs helped Liverpool to win. 

Theyre always playing like that so I can't understand how Arteta is getting so much praise.   They're going nowhere playing like they're afraid of their own shadow. 

A few upsets here and there to harp about but the league table will tell a different story.   I'd want him gone yesterday.   One of the richest clubs in the league shouldn't be playing such limited football. 

Admittedly I don’t watch much of Arsenal (in fact, I don’t watch much non-Liverpool football at all nowadays) but I’m really struggling to see why they’ve kept Leno and sold Martinez. The latter was, as I recall, quite solid against us in both of the previous post-lockdown games whereas Leno appears to be under the impression that he risks being hexed should he catch the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Theyre always playing like that so I can't understand how Arteta is getting so much praise.   They're going nowhere playing like they're afraid of their own shadow. 

A few upsets here and there to harp about but the league table will tell a different story.   I'd want him gone yesterday.   One of the richest clubs in the league shouldn't be playing such limited football. 

In fairness, it’s early days. We had no small amount of joy playing a rather agricultural game under Houllier, so maybe he’ll ultimately prove to be what they need at this point in time. Even being as it is a diminished competition, an FA Cup is a decent return for his first half—season. I think there’s more promise there than there is at Chelsea with Lampard, anyway.

I think Arteta is just addressing their main problem, namely the soft underbelly. He’s made them more difficult to play against and they are largely well-drilled now. It’s a gradual process of addressing each of the weaknesses in turn and it will take him a while to sort out. He does need to rethink the playing out from the back all the time, though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What I did notice last night, we were more calculating in our press than we had been in the two games we lost. Instead of rushing in and allowing them to play through us as we had previously, we sat back a little giving them no escape ball, and waited until they had passed it along the back and boxed themselves in before pouncing.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Arsenal played like a small club. We'll get more of a challenge from the likes of Brighton this season. If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be too busy being annoyed at Arteta than looking at ways the refs helped Liverpool to win. 

There's only us, every other club is a small club right now.

Why would they be annoyed with Arteta? Would they rather he went full-Wenger and that they lost 9-3 last night? They're going in the right direction with him. They won't have as difficult a game as last night again until next time they play us. They'll easily beat City, I reckon. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We did that too under Houllier, that was shameful !

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

There's only us, every other club is a small club right now.

Why would they be annoyed with Arteta? Would they rather he went full-Wenger and that they lost 9-3 last night? They're going in the right direction with him. They won't have as difficult a game as last night again until next time they play us. They'll easily beat City, I reckon. 

The football is crap. You seen the stat where they have the 2nd fewest shots in the league? They've played West Ham and Fulham this season and have very expensive forwards, so there's just no excuse. And as far as last night, our defense has been pretty vulnerable in the last 20 or so games. They could have been far more ambitious.

If Arteta's plan is to start out playing like this and then to progressively transition to something more attacking and attractive then fair enough. But if it stays like it has... They won't like him for long. 

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They played in away to give themselves the best chance of getting something from the game. We might get a more caution to the wind approach from the likes of Brighton but it wont be more of a challenge after we hit them on the break a few times. I think its churlish not to recognise Arteta has made strides forward with Arse. 

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

They played in away to give themselves the best chance of getting something from the game. We might get a more caution to the wind approach from the likes of Brighton but it wont be more of a challenge after we hit them on the break a few times. I think its churlish not to recognise Arteta has made strides forward with Arse. 

He's done some good stuff, I've said it in this thread. Their improvement in defense and on the counter has been impressive, but the style of football has been terrible in general.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

He's done some good stuff, I've said it in this thread. Their improvement in defense and on the counter has been impressive, but the style of football has been terrible in general. 

They haven't been great to watch for years mate unless you count comedy value of watching Ozil strolling about counting his wedge in his head. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Admittedly I don’t watch much of Arsenal (in fact, I don’t watch much non-Liverpool football at all nowadays) but I’m really struggling to see why they’ve kept Leno and sold Martinez. The latter was, as I recall, quite solid against us in both of the previous post-lockdown games whereas Leno appears to be under the impression that he risks being hexed should he catch the ball.

Apparently Arteta told them they would compete for the number one spot and Martinez said that he wanted to play every week and they said he could leave. Amicably I believe. I agree though that Martinez looks better than Leno. 

• Upvote 1

I find the talk of Arsenal rising to the very top under Arteta as inevitable to be very weird. So they have improved defensively and can lash it up top to the quick lads. Its not groundbreaking Artetas worth will be if he can find that balance. Until then he's shored up a ship no different than the likes of Hodgson, Moyes and countless others have done now and then. Fine for Arsenal fans to seek positive improvements but I've seen loads saying this just the beginning of the Arteta era. It was men v boys last night the gulf is as big as ever its just they can occasionally hurt you because of Aubameyang. Better but still mediocre.