You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

(With Poll) Creedence Clearwater Revival vs The Beach Boys

Bjornebye

(With Poll) Creedence Clearwater Revival vs The Beach Boys  

52 members have voted

1. 1. (With Poll) Creedence Clearwater Revival vs The Beach Boys

• The Beach Boys
    • Creedence Clearwater Revival

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/20 at 06:29

14 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Well, if I disagree with your view there's absolutely no other conclusion other than that I'm ignorant. That's how the internet works, so let's roll with that. 

Not at all, you’re way smarter than me, I’m not ashamed to admit that, you’re a clever lad but music is something I know a fair bit about. Are you aware of “Smile” and the subsequent enormous influence that had? 

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not at all, you’re way smarter than me, I’m not ashamed to admit that, you’re a clever lad but music is something I know a fair bit about. Are you aware of “Smile” and the subsequent enormous influence that had? 

So, what, you're just going to say nice things to me. Then be civil. Fuck off, I don't know what game you're playing but it's scaring me and I don't know what to do. 

I am not aware of the enormous influence of Smile, but I am wary of this 'influential' tag that people seem to apply to everything. It's dodgy AF. Like, the Beatles were clearly influential... they changed how popular music sounded - pretty much all of it. I'm willing to concede that there might be something deeply hidden about the Beach Boys that I'm missing, but my old man was a fan so I've listened to a lot of their stuff. I'd be interested to hear an argument to how they rival the Beatles in any regard. 

6 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

So, what, you're just going to say nice things to me. Then be civil. Fuck off, I don't know what game you're playing but it's scaring me and I don't know what to do. 

I am not aware of the enormous influence of Smile, but I am wary of this 'influential' tag that people seem to apply to everything. It's dodgy AF. Like, the Beatles were clearly influential... they changed how popular music sounded - pretty much all of it. I'm willing to concede that there might be something deeply hidden about the Beach Boys that I'm missing, but my old man was a fan so I've listened to a lot of their stuff. I'd be interested to hear an argument to how they rival the Beatles in any regard. 

They definitely rivalled The Beatles in the mid 60s before falling away a bit after Good Vibrations. I think whether they rival The Beatles in terms of general influence is debatable, but probably not.

They certainly have a huge influence though, I mean you're a Queen fan if I remember correctly & their harmony stuff is a direct descendant of The Beach Boys vocal parts.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

They definitely rivalled The Beatles in the mid 60s before falling away a bit after Good Vibrations. I think whether they rival The Beatles in terms of general influence is debatable, but probably not.

They certainly have a huge influence though, I mean you're a Queen fan if I remember correctly & their harmony stuff is a direct descendant of The Beach Boys vocal parts.

This fucking place 

On 25/09/2020 at 09:19, Mook said:

The Beach Boys made better albums than Pet Sounds.

Beach Boys all the way for me, from their early surf stuff right up to 1973 they were making amazing music that was often in a genre all of its own.

CCR were ok, I'll probably get slated for this but I think they're a bit overrated on this forum. My ex used to listen to them non-stop which probably put me off them a bit to be fair.

Can't believe I missed this. Would have voted Beach Boys but both excellent bands. Should have been the final.

• Upvote 2

On 26/09/2020 at 20:01, Bjornebye said:

The Beatles are light years beyond the Beach Boys. 

I actually like a lot of Beach Boys stuff but fuck me

I can't be arsed reading squalid tomfoolery from the 'purists' but....are there REALLY people on this thread saying the Beach Boys are at least comparable to, or worse still 'better' than The Beatles?

Just now, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Aye,

OK.

Its a bit of revisionist history to be fair - in 64 the Beach Boys had Mike Love doing the snorkel dance in front of what looked like a good high school talent show band. Hindsight has focused on Brian Wilson's studio/arranging genius.

The axis/material/influence of Stills, David Crosby and Neil Young (in all their band mutations) is far more important to American music.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Its a bit of revisionist history to be fair - in 64 the Beach Boys had Mike Love doing the snorkel dance in front of what looked like a good high school talent show band. Hindsight has focused on Brian Wilson's studio/arranging genius.

The axis/material/influence of Stills, David Crosby and Neil Young (in all their band mutations) is far more important to American music.

This is probably true Comrade, I can't argue with that, you know more about them than me, I can only judge on what I have heard and seen, it's not that I'm ignorant of the Beach Boys work, I've listened to it, not necessarily as a fan, or even someone who was interested, but enough to appreciate how people can really like them, I can see that. But to say they were even comparable to The Beatles, or even The Doors, is, only in my opinion, far fetched at best.

Again, subjective I know. I don't want to come across as not knowing about The Beach Boys, I can understand the love, but I just can't have that. The Beatles vs The Beach Boys is Sugar Ray Robinson vs Oscar De la Hoya

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Although mate, I've just listened to Sloop John B again and they were fucking ace at their best.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

This is probably true Comrade, I can't argue with that, you know more about them than me, I can only judge on what I have heard and seen, it's not that I'm ignorant of the Beach Boys work, I've listened to it, not necessarily as a fan, or even someone who was interested, but enough to appreciate how people can really like them, I can see that. But to say they were even comparable to The Beatles, or even The Doors, is, only in my opinion, far fetched at best.

Again, subjective I know. I don't want to come across as not knowing about The Beach Boys, I can understand the love, but I just can't have that. The Beatles vs The Beach Boys is Sugar Ray Robinson vs Oscar De la Hoya

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-classic-beach-boys-album-paul-mccartney-said-inspired-sgt-peppers.html/

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yeah there is that Comrade, but Ali was inspired by Gorgeous George the wrestler and you yourself were inspired by Shakin' Stevens, so it's not always the case where the driving force is better than the replica.

I take your point comrade, I'm not saying The Beach Boys were toss, far from it. And I know it's subjective, but I just can't get past the fact that they were good old boy, clean cut Republicans (you're going to link me up to them being Communists now aren't you?) doing fucking good vibrations/surfin USA 60's Californian Wham music. The Beatles and The Doors were socially and politically subversive bands.

• Upvote 3