You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Country Would You Move To?

Bjornebye

What Country Would You Move To? Or Would You Stay?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Country Would You Move To?

• I'd stay in Britain (or for those no UK people - I'll stay where I am)
    • I'd love to move (Please state where)

Not overly eager to leave Ireland if im totally honest. 

But fein places I've been to (in not Phyllis fogg), I quite fancied the belgium and the Netherlands, more so the Netherlands. Super clean and friendly, just seemed ideal to the litter throwing in used to here in Dublin. 

It won't ever happen mind you, I'm self employed with a small family business, my missus has a pretty good job in Guinness, so why up sticks when things are "comfortable" here. 

Who knows, circumstances change with time. 

Australia if it wasn't for the spider bastards. I couldn't handle looking up and seeing a big huntsman at the window asking me for a straightener on the lawn. I spent a month there years ago and only saw 1 spider and that was in the middle of the rainforest but still.... Its a threat I can live without. 

Japan (Love the culture) or Germany for me. Germany has great beer, everything seems to run perfectly and I've never really had a bad time ever visiting. Lots of footy to watch as well. 

I'd actually love to live in new York or Florence if it wasn't for the corrupt governments and US gun laws. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Australia if it wasn't for the spider bastards. I couldn't handle looking up and seeing a big huntsman at the window asking me for a straightener on the lawn. I spent a month there years ago and only saw 1 spider and that was in the middle of the rainforest but still.... Its a threat I can live without. 

Japan (Love the culture) or Germany for me. Germany has great beer, everything seems to run perfectly and I've never really had a bad time ever visiting. Lots of footy to watch as well. 

I'd actually love to live in new York or Florence if it wasn't for the corrupt governments and US gun laws. 

I've always felt drawn to Germany. I've visited ion several occasions and my late Grandparents were from Austria & (formerly East) Germany so I'd like to live in the countries of their birth.   I actually think it's sad a lot of us think this way now thanks to B****t. People often think wouldn't it be nice to live in XXXX but now I think people just want away from the UK for more than just 'wouldn't it be nice' reasons.

I'd also love to live in the USA (Probably Boston), but politically they're (currently) worse than our lot, thus Vancouver Island. My favourite place we visited on honeymoon & somewhere both my wife & I would be very happy. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd also love to live in the USA (Probably Boston), but politically they're (currently) worse than our lot, thus Vancouver Island. My favourite place we visited on honeymoon & somewhere both my wife & I would be very happy. 

Very nice. Portland (Oregon in general) has always appealed to me. I've never been but its high up on my places to visit list. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I've always felt drawn to Germany. I've visited ion several occasions and my late Grandparents were from Austria & (formerly East) Germany so I'd like to live in the countries of their birth.   I actually think it's sad a lot of us think this way now thanks to B****t. People often think wouldn't it be nice to live in XXXX but now I think people just want away from the UK for more than just 'wouldn't it be nice' reasons.

You could get a passport if your parents were from there couldn't you mate? 

I'll sound like a little Englander here but I don't think I'd have it in me to learn a new language from scratch and get to grip with an entirely new culture, I'd have to go somewhere that speaks English where I can at least get a tentative grip of what the fuck is going on. Trying to imagine how my former office colleagues would react if a fat sweaty Spanish or French 40-year-old with a child's grip of English had rocked up one morning announcing how great it was to be starting a new life abroad.  

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

This Neg is illogical. 

Ive always fancied living abroad but my partner is already abroad so for her she doesn’t fancy moving again. She also doesn’t want to move to far from her family which is fair and the best places seem to be the ones furthest away. 

We both loved Oz but as has been said  it’s a mess politically and far too expensive, Canada appeals so need to visit to scope it out.

I’ve not been to New Zealand but it is the place I’d like to move to most based on what I’ve read and heard it would also be easy to integrate as they speak the same language. 

the problem with this is there are loads of places that sound cool to live in and when you visit but in reality would be quite difficult and this would be compounded by countries that speak a different language. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'll sound like a little Englander here but I don't think I'd have it in me to learn a new language from scratch and get to grip with an entirely new culture, I'd have to go somewhere that speaks English where I can at least get a tentative grip of what the fuck is going on. Trying to imagine how my former office colleagues would react if a fat sweaty Spanish or French 40-year-old with a child's grip of English had rocked up one morning announcing how great it was to be starting a new life abroad.  

It was my grandparents that were from Germany & Austria which makes it a whole 

lot more complex. Believe me I’ve looked into it.  German as a language I found to be easier to learn than French or Spanish .

Canada has no real language issues.

Portugal (never been)

Slovenia

Spain

I think I would like somewhere quite warm that I could drive back to the UK from. I would never live anywhere other than Europe, diverse cultures and scenery all within a few hours flight. The problem for me with the likes of US and Australia, is that you have do a long haul to visit anything different.

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

It was my grandparents that were from Germany & Austria which makes it a whole 

lot more complex. Believe me I’ve looked into it.  German as a language I found to be easier to learn than French or Spanish .

Canada has no real language issues.

They aren't from Branau Am Inn are they? 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Standard of English here is pretty high like. Much higher than say Wigan. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Where in Portugal are you? Plenty of coat wearing potential in the north.

Praia da Luz. Does get cold at night in the winter. I’ve bought four or five coats with me. I sold a load of clobber on eBay before I left but just couldn’t say goodbye to a few. 

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Praia da Luz. Does get cold at night in the winter. I’ve bought four or five coats with me. I sold a load of clobber on eBay before I left but just couldn’t say goodbye to a few. 

You're not studying to be a priest are you? 

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Nice, never been that far west in Portugal. Climate must be pretty nice there.

Coats should get a decent run out between November and February.

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Nice, never been that far west in Portugal. Climate must be pretty nice there.

Coats should get a decent run out between November and February.

Where you at again? Seville is closer to me than Lisbon. Looking forward to a few day trips to Spain, Cadiz is only down the road and Gibraltar is not far too (if they let me in)