You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Country Would You Move To?

Bjornebye

What Country Would You Move To? Or Would You Stay?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Country Would You Move To?

• I'd stay in Britain (or for those no UK people - I'll stay where I am)
    • I'd love to move (Please state where)

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Fuck off Boris/Nigel

Well, I was being tongue in cheek. But to be honest I live in a country with running water, an abundance of food, a free health service, police on the streets and working justice system...and none of these things are perfect but they're better than being bombed, dying of thirst or malnutrition, or suffering disease. 

I'm not sure I could live anywhere else. I only speak English so that rules out a lot. Australia? Too many spiders, not enough ozone layer. New Zealand? It's so far away you might as well be on the Moon. USA? No health service and shit annual leave, plus I don't really like Americans. South Africa? Again, strange people, violent place. 

If I could speak the language, then maybe Germany. Great country. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

Netherlands, easy connections to the rest of Europe to explore, easy going atmosphere, beautiful towns, good gig scene, great art, can feed itself.

Utrecht or Eindhoven or something.

edit: and weed. Obviously, the weed.

Utrecht is a great choice. We're full though so fuck off. 

I’d like a holiday home in Austria next to a lake surrounded by mountains. Not too high so that the lake is reasonably warm for swimming in the summer months - somewhere in Tyrol or Salzkammergut would be ideal. Rural Austrians seem like nice people to be around although I believe that some of their politics can be dodgy

Australia 30 years ago was brilliant, cheap, high wages, free Uni etc but the Tory equivalent have totally fucked it, rampant inequality, take from the poor to give to the rich, prices have gone through the roof, crippled broadband service . Media is completely controlled by Merdeoch so the morons invariably vote against their own interests. The current government are climate change deniers in spite of things like massive bushfires and a dying Great Barrier Reef, coal is king. They're cutting pandemic welfare payments but giving tax breaks to the wealthiest 20%. Rave rave rave. Basically the place is fucked.

I've moved to Vietnam, semi permanently to live on my pension and enjoy a far better and healthier life than I could in Australia or the UK. I'm volunteering at some rural schools helping kids speak English and it is by far the most enjoyable and rewarding work I've ever done. The food is excellent, fresh and flavorsome as well as cheap.

There are drawbacks. It's $60 US for a visa every 30 days at the moment, the language is almost incomprehensible (but at least the written language is the same alphabet, unlike the chicken entrails that passes for writing in Cambodia Edward) and the standard of driving is easily the worst in the world.

I will at some point have to return to Australia, if only to sell my house and possessions but at the moment I'm stranded here and loving it.

• Upvote 6