You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Sep 12-18 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Saturday Sep 12:

L 4 Leeds 3. So that was unnecessarily stressful. For all the talk of how well Leeds did, the truth is that we should have won this by a landslide based on chances. Leeds scored from every chance they had and that, combined with them somehow having more possession (certainly didn't feel like it when I was watching) makes this game seem closer than it was. It wasn't that much different to Norwich last year, other than Leeds being much more clinical.

As irritating as this was at times, in the end there was no harm done and actually when you analyse what happened there's not really much to be concerned about. The concern would have been if we'd dropped points, but we didn't. In terms of how the game went, the good was that we looked good going forward and created a boatload of chances. The bad was that we made errors at the back, and we have been doing ever since footy came back after lock down.

That's obviously a concern but it's more of a short term worry than a long term one. We know these lads can defend well and keep clean sheets, but they seem to have lost a bit of focus and concentration. I put it down to there not being any fans in stadiums and it's not something that will continue indefinitely. Fans might not be back any time soon though so they do need to sharpen the fuck up and I expect Klopp will be drumming that into them. Personally I'd be a lot more worried if we looked bad in attack, as this is an easier fix and it's easier to overcome.

How good was Mo though? This was his best performance in a long time. He just looked dynamite all game. The hat-trick was well deserved and even though two were penalties it doesn't really cheapen it because the performance was so good. I hope this is a sign of things to come and we see 2018 Mo again, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Sunday Sep 13:

What the fuck is this? Arsenal are getting £20m for that keeper who played against us in the Charity Shield and acted the cunt during the shoot out. This is mad. I’d never even heard of him until Leno got injured and he got a run of games, but now he’s worth £20m?? And what's with Villa having that kind of dosh to throw around? So much for Covid killing the market. 

Mind you, we’ve signed a keeper too. Not for £20m like, and we’ll probably never even see him play for us, but we’ve spent a million or so on a Brazilian kid who Alisson recommended. We seem to be stockpiling young keepers and I don’t really understand it. We must have a dozen keepers on the books now, it’s like Jurgen has a fetish for them or something.

Reports today have United having agreed terms with Thiago. Absolute bollocks, I’m just not buying this for a second. Thiago is playing for a much, much better side than United and he’d have to be a fucking moron to swap that to go and play for Solskjaer. It makes no sense. So when reports like this come out, you have to question who benefits from it.

The obvious answer here is Bayern. They’re trying to force our hand, whereas we seem happy to just let it play out until Barca make us an offer for Gini or we can sell someone else to raise the cash needed. All the reports from sources close to Thiago seem to suggest he’s agreed everything with us.

The way it's dragging out is annoying and I can't say I'm sure we'll get him, but he's not going to end up at United, that much I'm confident in predicting. You don't leave the European Champions to sign for Old Gunnar Solskjaer.

Meanwhile, Mbappe again hints at leaving PSG next summer. This is all well and good, but who can actually afford what it will cost to get him? There's only really City, and that's only because they'll disregard the rules to do it. 

Kloppo should be telling Mbappe to stay there for the final two years of his contract and that we'll come calling for him then.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

"Spare a thought for Everton today though. They thought they'd won the transfer window again but not only was that taken away from them, their manager had this to say about Thiago:

“Breaks my heart, breaks my heart. The only good thing about this signing is that he is a neighbour and that’s it. I think he chose the wrong team.

“He could choose the blue team, not the red team. I am joking. He is a fantastic player and my friend, Jurgen, will be happy.”

Everton fans could learn so much from their manager, genuine class and dignity.

David James tips Arsenal for the title. HAHAHAHA

I hadn't heard that one. Miles funnier than anything Jim Davidson's ever come out with, though. In order to stand out in the game of punditry, you have to be different, be edgy. Sorry Jamo, you're being so edgy here you've fallen off the side of the fucking cliff.

It's been said time and again... yer Ma needs her own column on here. Tell her she has to pick at least one other victim for this season. Not necessarily one of our lads, but rather in the style of how you accumulate 'my boys', she could have her own line-up of whipping boys to add to our enjoyment of something to look forward to reading every week. As our new shirt sponsors might say... Just Do It!

6 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

David James tips Arsenal for the title. HAHAHAHA

I hadn't heard that one. Miles funnier than anything Jim Davidson's ever come out with, though. In order to stand out in the game of punditry, you have to be different, be edgy. Sorry Jamo, you're being so edgy here you've fallen off the side of the fucking cliff.

It's been said time and again... yer Ma needs her own column on here. Tell her she has to pick at least one other victim for this season. Not necessarily one of our lads, but rather in the style of how you accumulate 'my boys', she could have her own line-up of whipping boys to add to our enjoyment of something to look forward to reading every week. As our new shirt sponsors might say... Just Do It!

I’m sure her mum already has a list  , all set to go and write. She’s left in shadow, the son obviously wants the starlight. 

• dave u unpinned this topic