You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

9 hours ago, Red74 said:

He’s stunk the place out for months now. Unrecognisable from his first 18

months. Hopefully he gets the touch of death back for next Saturday 

Need to look at his stats.  My thoughts are he did well for us when Mane and Salah away. If he was not scoring winners he was certainly helping calm the nerves by taking whatever opportunities came his way to put us ahead in games.  The problem for me is the chances he was getting have seriously dried up . Whether that is a lack of form or the way we are playing I don't know. All I do know is of the front 4/5 he is the one you want a gilt edged chance falling to in terms of conversion. Worrying he not getting chances don't know what is going wrong . 

He's good in the middle. 

Since Diaz arrived, he has barely played there as Mane has been so good. 

He's still dangerous but yeah he's 2nd choice now. 

It's weird though as when he first came into the team he looked like fucking dynamite on the left wing. Now he looks a bit lost out there. 

i feel i should like Jota because he reminds me of Kuyt (perhaps a better finisher and certainly quicker) and i loved Kuyt. but i find him deeply frustrating. i think he clearly performs better in that central role - but I would say he still struggles there when we play against 3 centre backs (in fact he struggles in all 3 roles with 3 CBs for me). The ability he has for getting between defenders just seems to be completely shut as those centre back play tighter and it makes the cross from the full backs just too difficult to make as he doesn't have a height advantage, so needs to use the space he creates to find the positions to get on the end of them. 

having said all that, it is clear his form dipped after that injury around the league cup final. i do wonder as it is his 1st intense season if it has all got too much for him. we've played a lot of games and he's played some big international games. He knew we were going to depend on him during afcon - and he delivered in that period. After that peak, he picked up his injury and just has never got going again. hopefully a summer off will see him back to his best. 

I dislike the fans' opinions of him more than I do him as a player. It's obvious what his qualities are; he's a dynamite counter attacker, and is very good in the box. I think he's a great 4th choice attacker. He's the perfect "plan b" that most fans clamour for when they say they want a real striker, someone that can finish chances in the box, get on the end of crosses, etc...

But the shouts that he obviously had to start every game before we got Diaz and the people ignoring his weaknesses was ridiculous. There's simply lots of things he's not very good at, and that's fine. Almost every player is not perfect. 

14 hours ago, DJLJ said:

Mane was has also had form issues. It happens when they play this amount of games. 

Haven’t bothered to check, but I seem to recall plenty of people on here writing Mane off completely during our poor spell last season. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same people writing Jota off now. 

Jota has had a spell now when nothing has hit the back of the net. Apart from that he’s not any different from 6 months ago. His build up and combination play isn’t the best, his strengths are finishing and running at people with the ball.

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Haven’t bothered to check, but I seem to recall plenty of people on here writing Mane off completely during our poor spell last season. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same people writing Jota off now. 

Jota has had a spell now when nothing has hit the back of the net. Apart from that he’s not any different from 6 months ago. His build up and combination play isn’t the best, his strengths are finishing and running at people with the ball.

It's not the same criticism at all. Mane's was rooted in his contract situation, and that maybe he was declining as a player and that it was maybe time to sell.

Jota's time at the club is still relatively early. We're learning who he is as a player all the time and he's in his mid 20's.

On 22/05/2022 at 20:25, Josef Svejk said:

He's been shit since Diaz arrived, I think. 

But he's still a better finisher than Diaz, I think. 

He’s been shit, but scored more and got as many assists as Diaz in the same period, Diaz who I guess has been superb?

Second half of the season from Jota, I put in Diaz stats as well.

193AC5F1-EB57-4609-BFEF-EEBA371C0216.jpeg

F9F03877-6FB7-40B8-92CB-8C62294EFF56.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Code said:

He’s been shit, but scored more and got as many assists as Diaz in the same period, Diaz who I guess has been superb?

Second half of the season from Jota, I put in Diaz stats as well.

193AC5F1-EB57-4609-BFEF-EEBA371C0216.jpeg

F9F03877-6FB7-40B8-92CB-8C62294EFF56.jpeg

I've commented previously on Diaz's numbers. For all his skill, speed, and workrate, it will be interesting to see how his numbers stack up next season (compared to the other attackers). It's still very early days. 

Yep. Hopeless cunts. So many people have said that of so many of our players.

Certainly, people have questioned the fitness and form of some in the latter stages of a draining season (with one historic game remaining). Which is crazy conspiratorial stuff, obviously.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Same kind of people who post shite like this:

Screenshot_20220507-210424_Chrome.jpg

Speaks the snide cunt who likes to have digs at Klopp.

Yeah, Robertson with some shit defending against Tottenham which was fact.  Stick to your hobby of stuffing your face as usual.

I like Jota anyway.

On 22/05/2022 at 18:57, Elite said:

Good squad player

On 22/05/2022 at 19:11, Section_31 said:

He's not very good, only half decent in the box and only as a sub

On 22/05/2022 at 19:11, J-V said:

I don't think we'd get £45mill back for him let alone a profit.

Can I just check - are we still talking about the bloke who scored 15 Premier League goals this season?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Can I just check - are we still talking about the bloke who scored 15 Premier League goals this season?

Yes. He's not first choice, hence 'squad player' and a good one at that.

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do tell who'd give us £40m+ for him.

Not that I'm saying to sell him.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Elite said:

Yes. He's not first choice, hence 'squad player' and a good one at that.

Fair enough; your comment was the least bonkers of the three I quoted. Still, the phrase "squad player" conjures up images of bench-warmers and malingerers, not players scoring at Dr Bruyne or Vardy rates, who would walk into the starting XI of any other team in the league.

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I've commented previously on Diaz's numbers. For all his skill, speed, and workrate, it will be interesting to see how his numbers stack up next season (compared to the other attackers). It's still very early days. 

There's no doubt his play to the penalty area has been very good. But he's been wasteful. And it's weird as much as he seems to get quite emotional when he misses narrowly some times, I always think it looks like he's going to miss when he hits it. But he can work on that. It's not like he doesn't hit it cleanly, it just feels he's aiming for the post and gets outside it too much. I'm confident his numbers will be better. He might not get to the level of Salah, but I think we can reasonably expect 20-25 next season from him. 

• Upvote 1