You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

On 04/11/2020 at 11:32, Elite said:

I had a gander at a few Wolves forums and a lot are putting it down to being one his frequent purple patches and expect him to dip again soon.

This may be true but I've every faith that Klopp will help him be at this higher level for much more consistent periods and if he does he'll be one of the best forwards in world football.

Yeah, I can imagine them all now when he was playing there - “oh for fuck sake, not ANOTHER purple patch!”

They can massively fuck off after robbing the firmino song too. It happens all the time with tunes and little bits here and there, but not like they did it - the exact same fucking lyrics apart from change the name. Absolutely fucking pathetic that. 

• Upvote 1

Never really noticed him at Wolves and thought it was a big fee when he tipped up at Anfield but he does look the real deal. Still a bit wary of going all in on him until see how consistent he is over an extended run and certainly not one of the "throw Bobby under the next bus now we have Jota brigade"

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Michu didn't get a big move and neither did someone like Pukki. Mostly because people in football can figure out they aren't actually good. When you watch the likes of Jota or Mané at 22-23 years old, the qualities stand out quite a bit more even if they aren't scoring 30 goals a season for Wolves and Southampton respectively.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Michu didn't get a big move and neither did someone like Pukki. Mostly because people in football can figure out they aren't actually good. When you watch the likes of Jota or Mané at 22-23 years old, the qualities stand out quite a bit more even if they aren't scoring 30 goals a season for Wolves and Southampton respectively.

Not sure what any of this means tbh - he had a purple patch.

I think Pepe did as well.

Pukki has been banging them in for 5 or 6 years. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure what any of this means tbh - he had a purple patch.

I think Pepe did as well.

Pukki has been banging them in for 5 or 6 years. 

I have no idea what your point is either, frankly. And it's a common occurrence. My point is there are players with massive potential who are often labeled as inconsistent for no real reason.

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

My point is 

No amigo.

Your point was you are not one of these:

The purple patch thing is one of those dumb football fan takes.

Of course there are literally hundreds of examples of this over the years. There a shite players who play out of their skin for a period of time. And, of course Jota is not an example of one as there is no such thing as frequent purple patches - that would be a purple field, not a patch.

Further - this is something you are not:

Mostly because people in football can figure out they aren't actually good. 

That is why I used the example of Pepe (for your benefit) who has been the biggest bust coming into this league in the last few years. And who had a nice little purple patch of around 18 months. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No amigo.

Your point was you are not one of these:

The purple patch thing is one of those dumb football fan takes.

Of course there are literally hundreds of examples of this over the years. There a shite players who play out of their skin for a period of time. And, of course Jota is not an example of one as there is no such thing as frequent purple patches - that would be a purple field, not a patch.

Further - this is something you are not:

Mostly because people in football can figure out they aren't actually good. 

That is why I used the example of Pepe (for your benefit) who has been the biggest bust coming into this league in the last few years. And who had a nice little purple patch of around 18 months. 

It's easy to see why clubs or anybody could believe Pepe could become a top player. Usually, when you score a bunch of goals or have lots of good performances at 23 years old, someone will buy you for a lot of money. You brought up Michu, who came from nowhere, scored some goals at Swansea, then went back to nowhere. It's not the same thing at all and you know that.

It's the second time fans of mid table clubs made fun of us for buying a young player from them who was "inconsistent" and "prone to purple patches" only for them to explode when they came here. Probably because they weren't actually "inconsistent" in the first place.

Purple patches exist. See:

Benjani

Michael Bridges

Papis Cisse

Asamoah Gyan

Grafite

Vincent Janssen

Saido Berahino

Danny Drinkwater

Plenty more where they come from. Jota is not going through a purple patch. He is top class. Our scouts should be on as much as the players. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Benjani

Michael Bridges

Papis Cisse

Asamoah Gyan

Grafite

Vincent Janssen

Saido Berahino

Danny Drinkwater

Plenty more where they come from. Jota is not going through a purple patch. He is top class. Our scouts should be on as much as the players. 

Who was that baldy fella that had a decent run? Think he might have played for Palace or something. 

Actually did Everton sign him and they got themselves all excited again?

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Benjani

Michael Bridges

Papis Cisse

Asamoah Gyan

Grafite

Vincent Janssen

Saido Berahino

Danny Drinkwater

You can add that Villa jabroni who they signed from Brentford. Going to be doing fuck all this time next season.

Oh, and Ighalo too.

There are a bunch of guys who score and then go away forever, that exists. What I meant was, it's funny when these fans say some talented 22 year old is inconsistent and a purple patch guy because they don't score every game for Wolverhampton at that age because they want to console themselves about that player being sold.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...