You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

According to the gimps on GOT he is on the PEDS.

No one has any proof of this but it's the only way Liverpool win anything.

Wonder why Keita and Minamino's PED's haven't worked as well? Bit of a crazy thought, but it might just be that Jota is a really good player, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Don't think anyone is feeling too bad about missing out on Werner and getting Jota instead so far.

Maybe not quite up to the Mane instead of Gotze level yet.

Thing is, if Werner was with us and Jota at Chelsea, Werner would have loads of goals. Klopp magic. But yeah, Jota is our boy. Love him so far. 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I hope his back stays strong enough to resist Spain.

Real Madrid and Barcelona being a matching pair of clown shoes at present makes that less of a worry.  

The immediate leap in performance that already quality attackers like Salah, Mane and now Jota have made after joining us is startling. What a manager. 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Real Madrid and Barcelona being a matching pair of clown shoes at present makes that less of a worry.  

The immediate leap in performance that already quality attackers like Salah, Mane and now Jota have made after joining us is startling. What a manager. 

Nothing to do with having world class players alongside them too? Your point is still valid but don't diss our lads who brought the best out of Mane and Salah. I mean how would they have coped without Adam Lallana, Cruyff turning himself into the Anfield turf like a human corkscrew?

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nothing to do with having world class players alongside them too? Your point is still valid but don't diss our lads who brought the best out of Mane and Salah. I mean how would they have coped without Adam Lallana, Cruyff turning himself into the Anfield turf like a human corkscrew?

Mane didn't have the same quality around him when he joined, although he's clearly got better and better over the last few years.

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You're right, having other brilliant footballers around doesn't hinder things either. 

Would be interesting to know if Salah, Mane, Jota and a few more were our first choices at the time and how exactly those alternatives (Gotze and Sarr have been mentioned, for example) have fared since with other clubs. Pretty safe to say things probably haven't gone anywhere near as well as if we'd been successful in signing them. 

I had a gander at a few Wolves forums and a lot are putting it down to being one his frequent purple patches and expect him to dip again soon.

This may be true but I've every faith that Klopp will help him be at this higher level for much more consistent periods and if he does he'll be one of the best forwards in world football.

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

I had a gander at a few Wolves forums and a lot are putting it down to being one his frequent purple patches and expect him to dip again soon.

This may be true but I've every faith that Klopp will help him be at this higher level for much more consistent periods and if he does he'll be one of the best forwards in world football.

That's called 'sour grapes'or 'the Everton mentality.'

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Sign a high quality forward;

Play him alongside other high quality forwards;

If his form dips, know that you can always swap him for a different high quality forward who is already at the club. 

(Also, how frequent do his ‘purple patches’ have to be before he’s simply... really good?)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ron B said:

Sign a high quality forward;

Play him alongside other high quality forwards;

If his form dips, know that you can always swap him for a different high quality forward who is already at the club. 

(Also, how frequent do his ‘purple patches’ have to be before he’s simply... really good?)

Also, consistency tends to develop as players get older and gain experience. You’d expect a player that has purple patches at ages 20-24 to start to play more reliably towards the upper end of those levels more often as they develop.

theres very, very few 23 year olds that don’t have good and bad spells.

6 hours ago, Elite said:

That's exactly what Southampton fans were saying about Mane when we signed him.

And another striking similarity is that their fans also thought they'd mugged us off for the £34M we'd paid for him.

That said, quite a number of our own fans thought the same.

Or, just maybe, Michael Edwards, Jurgen Klopp & co know what they want, who they want and what they're prepared to pay for a player they believe is right for Liverpool.

• 3 weeks later...