You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

18 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

Just be be clear when I say best goalscorer I really mean best finisher.

He’s got a touch of the Fowlers about him for sure but I don’t see why he can’t utilise that along side his other skills that would be lost in the middle.

• 1 month later...

From the offal

The instinctive, predatory finish Jota produced to put the Reds in front at Carrow Road saw the Portuguese join an exclusive club.

It was his 10th Premier League goal in what was his 20th top-flight appearance for the Reds - and just four players have reached that milestone in fewer matches.

The quartet in question?

Salah, Daniel Sturridge, Robbie Fowler and Fernando Torres.

Not bad company to keep, Diogo. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, m0e said:

From the offal

The instinctive, predatory finish Jota produced to put the Reds in front at Carrow Road saw the Portuguese join an exclusive club.

It was his 10th Premier League goal in what was his 20th top-flight appearance for the Reds - and just four players have reached that milestone in fewer matches.

The quartet in question?

Salah, Daniel Sturridge, Robbie Fowler and Fernando Torres.

Not bad company to keep, Diogo. 

Sturridge - what a player he could have been

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

He’s surpassed Mane and Bobby as our second best forward after Salah IMO. He’s a been a really good purchase… a very astute pick from the scouts as he was the least heralded of Wolves’ forwards after Jimenez and Traore. If CL final was this weekend then without a doubt he’d start. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure Diogo has many more levels he can get to. He's an awkward enough player, not your typical Portuguese type, touch can be clumsy and his decision making lacking at times. He's a great attitude and appreciation of space, reminds me a bit of Thomas Muller.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not sure Diogo has many more levels he can get to. He's an awkward enough player, not your typical Portuguese type, touch can be clumsy and his decision making lacking at times. He's a great attitude and appreciation of space, reminds me a bit of Thomas Muller.

good shout, though I think he's got as bit more technique than Muller.  He's in the team on merit though, and he'll stay there as long as he continues to cause problems for the opposition.  It's notable that he is dropping deep to receive the ball more often; something he rarely used to do when he first arrived.  

He was making life difficult for Phillips too, cutting off passing lanes etc. Klopp was happy that we nullified him in the presser so I presume happy with Jota without the ball. 

The boy is proving to be a more than adequate "replacement" for Bobby now in most aspects

• 2 weeks later...

The last time Liverpool played in Porto, Diogo Jota was a helpless onlooker as his former club suffered at the hands of Jurgen Klopp’s destructive strikeforce.

On Tuesday night, he is seeking to inflict further punishment on his hometown team, Liverpool having scored nine in their last two Champions League trips to Estadio do Dragao. The Portuguese can be forgiven any pre-match jitters. With Jota in tow, Liverpool’s fearsome front three is becoming the latest incarnation of a Kop ‘fab four’.

It is exactly a year since Jota made his first Premier League appearance for Liverpool, marking it with the first of his 16 goals in 37 appearances. Rather than break-up his tried and trusted trio of Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, from the outset Klopp was more inclined to accommodate all four of his senior attackers, doing so most courageously away at Manchester City early last season. 

Injuries across the squad, including Jota’s last December, paused that experiment. The sight of Jota alongside Firmino, Salah and Mane during the second half of the frantic 3-3 draw with Brentford on Saturday hints at further attacking joy rides to come.

“I knew they were one of the best attacking trios in the world, but I never thought about coming and taking anyone’s place,” says Jota, relishing his integration.

It’s a testimony to his impact over 12 months that Jota so rapidly quashed the notion he was signed from Wolverhampton Wanderers to be an able deputy. “He is a player made for our style,” says Klopp. What does that mean?  “Pretty intense, technically good, really fast, good in the air, both feet really good,” he added.

Amid that tribute is recognition of the extra attacking dimension Jota has brought to Anfield - a potent aerial threat in the grandest traditions of John Toshack and John Aldridge.

Think of the great strikers who made heading their forte and you’re naturally inclined to think of old-fashioned target men rather than a nimble-footed 5ft 10in Portuguese striker. 

Now consider that just over 31 per cent of Jota’s Liverpool’s goals so far have been headers, the latest against Brentford last weekend. The figure increases to 42 per cent when applied solely to the Premier League - compared to a figure of just over 16.6 per cent across the league as a whole. 

The biggest compliment one can apply to Jota is his aerial technique is reminiscent of one of the greatest of all Liverpool strikers, Robbie Fowler, who despite his relatively short stature was as devilishly lethal with his head as his feet. 

Rewatch many of Jota’s goals and it is conspicuous, just like Fowler in his prime, how unhindered he is when connecting in the six-yard box, possessing that natural capacity to locate space and embarrass centre-backs who are left looking at each other and wondering who was supposed to be doing the marking.

That predatory instinct explains why Klopp will occasionally be inclined to use the deeper playing Firmino with Jota rather than limit his choice to one or the other. Jota is not yet the finished product. Consistency must be his next target. Witness his sitter from two yards against Crystal Palace recently and it is clear a killer instinct will yield more goals.

Tuesday night’s surroundings are familiar. Jota spent a year on loan to Porto in 2016-17, and many of his teammates are still there. He knows they will be determined to bury the demons of their heavy European defeats to Klopp’s side, who beat them convincingly en route to the 2018 and 2019 Champions League finals.

“I follow Porto also and I know those results weren’t good for Porto and they didn’t show the real difference between the teams,” said Jota. “Usually playing at the Dragao is never easy for away teams. I know that if we let ourselves go there and think about those results then we will be struggling.”

Klopp was similarly determined to banish memories of the previous meetings, regardless of how happy they are. “It's not an advantage at all that we won the last two games there. Absolutely not,” said Klopp, who has Naby Keita available again, but is still without Thiago Alcantara and will give a late fitness test to Trent Alexander-Arnold.

“You only have to put yourself in the position of the opponent and the first thing you would want to do is make sure a similar thing doesn't happen again. That doesn't make our job easier. We don't think about the last two games we played there. We think about this one. We have to prepare for that.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/28/5ft-10in-diogo-jota-became-liverpools-aerial-menace/

On 14/09/2021 at 11:28, No2 said:

He reminds me of Dirk, but has a slightly better touch and is marginally quicker. His movement and work rate are very similar, although I think Dirk got involved in the game a little more. 

• 2 weeks later...