You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

How Klopp selects players is like an anti-matter Chelsea signing Torres from us. Abramovich saw a trinket he didn’t understand and like the charmless, spoilt vulgarian he is thought with a click of his fingers it could just be picked up and dropped in anywhere to the same effect. Not understanding enough to realise he never suited them in the first place.

Aside from anything else, Klopp knows exactly what he’s looking for to fit his style of football like a glove and what will work perfectly within his system. He has such a high success rate with seemingly unglamorous signings precisely because that’s his main focus. Watching videos of Jota and how often he gets his foot in to nick the ball back, how adept he is at keeping it in small spaces, his tenacity and energy, etc, he’s another one which is going to help our whole system continue to be a nightmare for other teams to play against. 

Great timing too as particularly Bobby seems to have run out of wind. Few of these lads who must feel like Eddie Izzard when he did that back-to-back marathon challenge for Sport Relief can hopefully now get a bit of a breather this season without us completely losing our attacking shape and not even looking like the same side.

• Upvote 19

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Werner wouldn't want to be on the bench i imagine, there was talk that Klopp had a conversation with him about it, maybe this guy has no problem playing second fiddle to the front three.

Also, neither Mane or Sallah were expected to be anywhere near as good as they are for us. Klopp doesn't buy players he makes them.

Werner didn’t make sense to me for this reason.

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Werner wouldn't want to be on the bench i imagine, there was talk that Klopp had a conversation with him about it, maybe this guy has no problem playing second fiddle to the front three.

Also, neither Mane or Sallah were expected to be anywhere near as good as they are for us. Klopp doesn't buy players he makes them.

Just wait until the Go Fuck Yourselves FSG Illuminati see this...

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Joins a ever growing list of ‘second choice’ players who will turn out to be better than the original targets. Mane instead of Gotze, Salah instead of Brandt, Bobby if only we signed BenFUCKINGteke. Was it Gini instead of Dahoud as well?

I think I remember Robertson being a second choice, also Kostas instead of that kid from Norwich. 

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think I remember Robertson being a second choice, also Kostas instead of that kid from Norwich. 

Second choice for Chilwell. These deals don’t happen overnight, makes you wonder if the whole backup choice is a bit of a negotiating ruse.  We’ve come along way since going for Dani Alves and ending up with Pennant or going for Alexis Sanchez and ending up with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli.

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Second choice for Chilwell. These deals don’t happen overnight, makes you wonder if the whole backup choice is a bit of a negotiating ruse.  We’ve come along way since going for Dani Alves and ending up with Pennant or going for Alexis Sanchez and ending up with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli.

Fun times!

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

How Klopp selects players is like an anti-matter Chelsea signing Torres from us. Abramovich saw a trinket he didn’t understand and like the charmless, spoilt vulgarian he is thought with a click of his fingers it could just be picked up and dropped in anywhere to the same effect. Not understanding enough to realise he never suited them in the first place.

Aside from anything else, Klopp knows exactly what he’s looking for to fit his style of football like a glove and what will work perfectly within his system. He has such a high success rate with seemingly unglamorous signings precisely because that’s his main focus. Watching videos of Jota and how often he gets his foot in to nick the ball back, how adept he is at keeping it in small spaces, his tenacity and energy, etc, he’s another one which is going to help our whole system continue to be a nightmare for other teams to play against. 

Great timing too as particularly Bobby seems to have run out of wind. Few of these lads who must feel like Eddie Izzard when he did that back-to-back marathon challenge for Sport Relief can hopefully now get a bit of a breather this season without us completely losing our attacking shape and not even looking like the same side.

That's what really stood out to me, too, funnily enough. Then he was away, setting up an attack with a through ball or dribble. "Good in the transition", I think is what the hipster wankers call it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

That's what really stood out to me, too, funnily enough. Then he was away, setting up an attack with a through ball or dribble. "Good in the transition", I think is what the hipster wankers call it.

Both he and Thiago seem to excel at it don’t they. That swarming all over teams thing we do at our best had just started to lose a bit of intensity since lockdown. Hopefully they’ll give that side of our game a fresh boost. He’s got a bit of Ings before his knee injuries about him by the looks of it, in terms of being a pest out of possession.

Really loving this signing as like Fab its come out of nowhere and I like how we used to do business back in the day.  Now all we need is another CB to replace Lovren but playing Fab there is also a good move. 

Sell Origi, Ox, Grujic, Shaq and lets see who else we can get. 

I've been critical of FSG but fair play in securing Thiago and Jota the way we have.

14 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Both he and Thiago seem to excel at it don’t they. That swarming all over teams thing we do at our best had just started to lose a bit of intensity since lockdown. Hopefully they’ll give that side of our game a fresh boost. He’s got a bit of Ings before his knee injuries about him by the looks of it, in terms of being a pest out of possession.

Yep. Think we're gonna absolutely wreck some teams on the counter this season.