You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Slagging off Liverpol legends

Redder Lurtz

McManaman is the exception that proves the rule.

I don’t understand why people get so wound up by commentators though.  Carragher clearly still loves Liverpool.  He spat at some Man Utd fan giving him shit over a defeat ffs.  Everyone seen how much he was loving the league win on Sky.  Carra going out of his way to appear unbiased is a good thing.  It’s made a show of Neville as well and he’s replaced him as their main pundit. He now tends to be the final word on a lot of things and I’d prefer it to be him than Neville, Keane or Micah Richards.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I'm not having it. A lot of people calling Carragher a cunt recently. The bloke gave heart and soul for this club. We wouldn't have won #5 wthout him. I don't give a flying one that his media bosses have trained him to be impartial. Same with Souness. Terrible manager but a club legend as a player. Only a matter of time until some whiffs on here start calling Gerrard a cunt. Show some respect you fannies. 

If Gerrard was a regular pundit rather than a manager then this would have happened already.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

McManaman is the exception that proves the rule.

I don’t understand why people get so wound up by commentators though.  Carragher clearly still loves Liverpool.  He spat at some Man Utd fan giving him shit over a defeat ffs.  Everyone seen how much he was loving the league win on Sky.  Carra going out of his way to appear unbiased is a good thing.  It’s made a show of Neville as well and he’s replaced him as their main pundit. He now tends to be the final word on a lot of things and I’d prefer it to be him than Neville, Keane or Micah Richards.

Carragher spitting on someone makes him less likeable, not more. Irrelevant of to whom or why he did it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, dave u said:

If Gerrard was a regular pundit rather than a manager then this would have happened already.

If Gerrard was on telly being a cunt then its true, we would be calling him that. Over time you get an insight into the personality you don't normally get. Loads of them have come across well, Ian Wright, Alan Hansen and Phil Thompson never came across badly where as Matt Le Tissier and Charlie Nicholas let their snide side out.

Souness's reputation as a person has increased massively over the years on Sky. Gary Neville is another that is more respected as a pundit by Liverpool supporters than he was as a player. On the other hand you have Rio Ferdinand being the prick you expect him to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Carragher should just fuck off with the faux impartiality stuff. If Sky dont like it, stop having him on Liverpool games.

To be honest, Id rather have neville as the summarisor on our games. He does more often than not manage to hide any bias against us and the times when he doesnt, I feel more happy shouting at the tv and telling him to fuck off than I do Carragher.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skaro said:

Fuck the impartiality balance - it's the spitting thing that makes me switch off.

Why?  He doesn’t do it on the telly.  He apologised straight away and has never done anything similar really before or since.  He threw that pound coin back at fans when one of them threw it at him but I wouldn’t say that’s the same.  People can make mistakes which this obviously was as it was genuinely a heat of the moment thing.  His apology wasn’t one of those “I made a mistake (even though it actually wasn’t a mistake it was a shagging my brother’s wife for 10 years or inviting birds to my room and then goosing them over the course of an evening) and I’ve been caught so I’m telling you now I regret it and that I’m going to tell you what my punishment should be and you’re the arse hole for questioning it and you must immediately leave me alone and never mention this again because I’ve been punished enough by it being mentioned in the papers once” type apologies.  He accepted it and said he will take whatever punishment they deem necessary.

Personally I still think the tide turned for him and Gerrard in a lot of people’s eyes when Rafa got sacked.  The rumours of them orchestrating it behind the scenes were rife and since then any time one of them does the slightest thing wrong they’re written off by certain fans.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Why?  He doesn’t do it on the telly.  He apologised straight away and has never done anything similar really before or since.  He threw that pound coin back at fans when one of them threw it at him but I wouldn’t say that’s the same.  People can make mistakes which this obviously was as it was genuinely a heat of the moment thing.  His apology wasn’t one of those “I made a mistake (even though it actually wasn’t a mistake it was a shagging my brother’s wife for 10 years or inviting birds to my room and then goosing them over the course of an evening) and I’ve been caught so I’m telling you now I regret it and that I’m going to tell you what my punishment should be and you’re the arse hole for questioning it and you must immediately leave me alone and never mention this again because I’ve been punished enough by it being mentioned in the papers once” type apologies.  He accepted it and said he will take whatever punishment they deem necessary.

Personally I still think the tide turned for him and Gerrard in a lot of people’s eyes when Rafa got sacked.  The rumours of them orchestrating it behind the scenes were rife and since then any time one of them does the slightest thing wrong they’re written off by certain fans.

Because it turned me off him.  Simple.

He apologised.  Fine.

I'll still pass on him, thanks.

51 minutes ago, No2 said:

On the other hand you have Rio Ferdinand being the prick you expect him to be.

I disagree. Against all odds, Ferdinand has turned out to be a far bigger prick than I had expected. And I say that as someone who almost watched Rio’s World Cup Wind-Ups before thinking better of it and using a cheese grater on my penis as a more enjoyable way to wile away an evening. 

• Upvote 2

Surely it's ok to not like someone but still consider them a club legend?

I've no issue with Carragher (although the spitting thing did knock my view of him, as it would anyone who did it) so I don't mean him.  But there's a number of ex-players of ours who I wouldn't like who have done amazing things for us as a team. That's ok isn't it?  I don't have to automatically like someone just because he was very good at football for us?

• Upvote 2

I never understand why they have a co-commentator like Carragher and Neville anyway I mean all they do is parrot what you’ve just seen or spout some meaningless drivel 

The best football commentators in my opinion were Coleman,Gerald Sinstad , Brian Moore Hugh Johns and Barry Davis and they 95% of the time did it on their own .

Carra was the second name on the team sheet here during his pomp and deservedly so. He worked and worked and made himself one of the top centre backs in the world in my opinion and I loved him as a player. Absolutely loved him.

There were still bits that made me think he was a bit of a whopper though, mainly the refusal to play at right back against Middlesbrough, which pushed skrtel out there and we got battered on the back of it. He also admits to refusing to come off on a sky interview once. Plus the other known about stuff, the spitting, the coin throw etc.

I’ll always love Carragher as the centre back he was for us, but I don’t particularly like him. I don’t see why just because a man is an amazing player for us, that makes him immune to any criticism moving forward. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, belarus said:

Carra was the second name on the team sheet here during his pomp and deservedly so. He worked and worked and made himself one of the top centre backs in the world in my opinion and I loved him as a player. Absolutely loved him.

There were still bits that made me think he was a bit of a whopper though, mainly the refusal to play at right back against Middlesbrough, which pushed skrtel out there and we got battered on the back of it. He also admits to refusing to come off on a sky interview once. Plus the other known about stuff, the spitting, the coin throw etc.

I’ll always love Carragher as the centre back he was for us, but I don’t particularly like him. I don’t see why just because a man is an amazing player for us, that makes him immune to any criticism moving forward. 

Bélarus knows when a man is not loved by the people, doesn’t He ? 

19 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Surely it's ok to not like someone but still consider them a club legend?

I've no issue with Carragher (although the spitting thing did knock my view of him, as it would anyone who did it) so I don't mean him.  But there's a number of ex-players of ours who I wouldn't like who have done amazing things for us as a team. That's ok isn't it?  I don't have to automatically like someone just because he was very good at football for us?

Spot on. I mean Kev planting a kiss on thatcher's cheek?! I mean if it had been her arse cheek I might think different!