You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Leeds United 3 (Sep 12 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Not really sure what to think about this. First and foremost I’m relieved we won and contrary to what many seem to be saying, it was completely, totally, 100% deserved. We were by far the better team and created a shitload more chances than Leeds did. We made it unnecessarily hard for ourselves but as this team so often does, they came through to take the points.

So that’s a good thing. The ability to just ‘find a way’ is great and that’s what separated us from Man City last year. When the going gets tough, they lose matches whereas we win them. It would be nice if we didn’t make it so hard for ourselves so often though, and just what the fuck has happened to the defence? 

We’ve gone from being by far the tightest unit in the league to looking like Brendan’s 2014 vintage. Since lockdown the amount of goals we’ve shipped has been alarming. At the back end of last season we could put it down to the lack of intensity after winning the league, but what’s the excuse for this one? 

Rustiness maybe, but I think it’s deeper than that. We’re conceding loads of goals since fans were no longer allowed in to stadiums. It’s hurting us more than anyone and I don’t just mean the ‘Anfield atmosphere’ thing either. Even having a hostile crowd helps with focus, intensity and concentration.

With no fans these games look like training sessions at times and as a result we’re making stupid mistakes and generally not being as switched on as we normally would. That edge that everyone has when playing in front of a packed stadium isn’t there and it’s causing a casualness and lack of focus. 

The lack of intensity in games also doesn’t help us. We’re great when we’re full throttle but when we drop off a touch we’re not as good with or without the ball. I just don’t think this game plays out like this in front of a full house, but there’s no way of proving that one way or the other I guess.

In fairness to Leeds, two of their goals were excellently worked. I can pick holes in how we defended them but it was nice football by them. One of their goals was a gift though, an absolute disgrace in fact. There’s been a real stench of complacency about our defensive play since football returned a couple of months ago. I’m not sure if that’s going to go away until fans are back, but hopefully this serves as the kick up the arse that we need. 

The back four looked ropey for all of the first half and parts of the second. It wasn’t just because of them though. Leeds players seemed to be picking the ball up in space between our midfield and defence much too easily. There were gaps everywhere and the absence of Fabinho was noticeable. Why that was I can’t say. Maybe Hendo was a little rusty or maybe it was because Naby was in the midfield three? 

Fabinho not being selected didn’t surprise me at all. Normally it would, but as I wrote in the diary this week, Klopp had a right go at him last week against Blackpool and subbed him at half time. I wondered if there was something to that, and him not starting this game tells me there was and that a message was being sent. 

The message might have been more effective if we hadn’t had to send him an SOS to go on and shore up the midfield, but hopefully whatever issue there may have been has been sorted, because we’re a better team with both him and Hendo playing rather than just the one of them. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

16 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Great report as usual Dave despite the Wikipedia list of Bon Jovi tracks.

As for Bobby, he seems to have regressed to how he was before Jürgen arrived, either a 10/10 or 4/10.

In his defence, I reckon Usher was pissed when he wrote that.

• Upvote 6

The defence is not a quality problem it’s a complacency one which I think is relatively easy to fix.  Alisson had that incident early on when he first signed (against Leicester I think) and after that he just cut it out and played it safer for a while which took the pressure off.  Van Dijk should just take the same approach.  Gomez is still just young and will make errors and have had games.

I think Firmino had a bit of a period last season where he started being more selfish and it coincided with the things he does outside of scoring also dropping off.  It felt like this game they tried to get back to basics.  Sadio and Mo were loving each other again and it was great.  I think Firmino had started the game with the plan to do what he does best which is put things on a plate for his mates which is why he didn’t take that shot on early on.  It backfired though obviously and then he had that sitter but I’d prefer him to stick to this approach.

That was Mo’s best game in years.  Even take his goals away and it was still 10/10 for me.  It’s what we need.  The finish for his second gets better every time you see it.

• Upvote 1

if Brewster has to go out on loan, we could do much, much worse than sending him to Leeds United. Firstly, it would teach him to massively up his pressing game. Second of all though, there is absolutely no doubt that he would score goals for them and that would favour us as they will take points off our rivals.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Top report Dave I'm glad you mentioned that twat Tyler as he was doing my head in all game he absolutely hates us and shows it as often as possible your right he needs putting out to pasture with that relic Motty as well.

Tyler's beyond a joke now. He stopped trying to hide his animosity towards Liverpool a long time ago. 

• Upvote 2

Great report and mirrored a lot of my thoughts on the game. There's no reason why Bobby cannot score goals and continue to be the 'glue.' I agree with Dave in that he's being far too concerned at setting others up instead of lacing it. Im not having this Bobby is not a good finisher either.

It's one for Jurgen to address. I love Bobby but if he isnt doing it, just being the glue isnt enough for me.

It's funny all the mancs are going on about both pens after they got 18 in the PL last season not to mention a number of soft ones like the fernandes one at Villa. Neither did VAR give one but they're all givingit the VAR jibes so I guess we're going to hear that all season as well. Cunts.

• Upvote 1

I’m glad we won the league while Tyler  and Neville still commentate together. 
when we lost the league by a point that year to could hear how happy they were when Kompany smashed that goal in against Leicester, before it they sounded terrified.

Rat fuck boy acts all jolly about us winning it but you just know it kills him inside.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I watched this on the no crowd noise option on Sky, and I’m absolutely certain that they played Song 2 by Blur after every goal. It seems then this is not played in the stadium after all but added over the top in the studio. Thank fuck. Great song; cheesy as fuck celebration.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 12:18, Paul said:

if Brewster has to go out on loan, we could do much, much worse than sending him to Leeds United. Firstly, it would teach him to massively up his pressing game. Second of all though, there is absolutely no doubt that he would score goals for them and that would favour us as they will take points off our rivals.

Agreed. Would be a far better option than the likes of Sheffield United or Villa or whatever. Only issue is that Bielsa is quite discerning and Nketiah who is a decent young striker at Arsenal got no time there when he was out on loan and he was eventually recalled. Somewhere like Brighton would be decent as well. They play some decent stuff.

• dave u unpinned this topic